View Poll Results: Separation of Education and state

Voters
674. You may not vote on this poll
  • Total separation from all levels of government. All education privatized.

    26 3.86%
  • Total separation except for cities.

    35 5.19%
  • Total separation except for counties.

    47 6.97%
  • Total separation except for cities and counties.

    51 7.57%
  • Total separation except for states.

    68 10.09%
  • Separation except for states and cities

    48 7.12%
  • Separation except for states and counties

    55 8.16%
  • Separation from federal government only.

    49 7.27%
  • No separation

    216 32.05%
  • Other (specify)

    79 11.72%
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 197 of 197

Thread: Separation of Education and State

  1. #191
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I have a problem with it because it doesn't actually solve the problem, it just segregates the problem and pretends it doesn't exist. It's like saying we have a problem with crime, but instead of trying to figure out why we have crime and working to actually solve it, we'll just take all the criminals and throw them on an island somewhere and forget they exist. It isn't a solution.
    We don't know it won't solve the problem. We've continually tried method after method to address the under performance of public schools. They've all failed. It very well may solve at least part of the problem. At least this way our motivated parents with motivated children will at least be receiving a good education. The public schools have tried to do this with magnet schools and they are the one thing that has worked, are intensely popular.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    We don't know it won't solve the problem. We've continually tried method after method to address the under performance of public schools. They've all failed. It very well may solve at least part of the problem. At least this way our motivated parents with motivated children will at least be receiving a good education. The public schools have tried to do this with magnet schools and they are the one thing that has worked, are intensely popular.
    How is it going to solve the problem if it doesn't even address it? All it does is take kids who aren't ruining the curve already and moving them somewhere else. It isn't doing a damn thing for kids who aren't making it in school now. Public schools haven't all failed, that's a ridiculous statement to make. Public schools in poor neighborhoods have failed, but not doing anything to address why they've failed isn't going to fix them. Any plan that doesn't try to make things better for *ALL* students isn't a plan worth pursuing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #193
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fruityfact View Post
    Dude, you pick out two outliers, and ignore the complete trend...LITERALLY A LINEAR TREND staring you in the face.
    What so-called "linear trend" am I not seeing? And CA/OR are not outliers. Look at any in the list who are in the 30s, then look at how much ADA they pay, you won't find a trend. What you'll find is that ADA, above a certain level as compared against COL, isn't a reliable factor in judging public school performance.

  4. #194
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    How is it going to solve the problem if it doesn't even address it? All it does is take kids who aren't ruining the curve already and moving them somewhere else. It isn't doing a damn thing for kids who aren't making it in school now. Public schools haven't all failed, that's a ridiculous statement to make. Public schools in poor neighborhoods have failed, but not doing anything to address why they've failed isn't going to fix them. Any plan that doesn't try to make things better for *ALL* students isn't a plan worth pursuing.
    Again, not true. We have public schools that perform poorly in middle class neighborhoods as well. We have public schools here that perform poorly in well to do neighborhoods. We have public schools that perform well in poor neighborhoods. And what the hell does the neighborhood have to do with funding? It's the STATE that funds the schools and every student in that state gets the same allowance, the same ADA.

    And measures taken within the public school system don't address ALL students. Not everyone can get accepted in the magnet schools.

    Again, the voucher system does address ALL students. It allows all students to be shoppers for their education dollars.

  5. #195
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,064

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And how exactly did they divert money to the private schools?
    basically, they first cut education funding by three hundred million dollars. then they enacted a voucher system to pull kids out of public schools so that they could go to charter schools. then as the public schools get less and less funding, they do even worse, prompting more parents to pull their kids out of them.

  6. #196
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Separating education from the state is just as important as separating churches from the state.

    Who is responsible for educating your children? You are.

    Should you be forced to subsidize other people's children? Hell, No!!!!

    Do you want the state indoctrinating your children? Do you want them to be taught to be good little serfs, work their butts off, pay excessive taxes, and never complain about losing their God-given individual rights? Hell No!!!!!!!

    How are poor people going to educate their children? Charity (in cases of genuine hardship). Technology (You can educate your children on a shoestring, if you use a little common sense--Check out khanacademy.org--free education right on the web). Family planning (The most important thing)--If you can't afford to raise children, don't keep downloading them!!!!!!!

    Bottom line. It's your responsibility. It's yours alone. It's not mine. It's not your neighbors'. It's not the state's.

  7. #197
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulvoter View Post
    Separating education from the state is just as important as separating churches from the state.

    Who is responsible for educating your children? You are.

    Should you be forced to subsidize other people's children? Hell, No!!!!

    Do you want the state indoctrinating your children? Do you want them to be taught to be good little serfs, work their butts off, pay excessive taxes, and never complain about losing their God-given individual rights? Hell No!!!!!!!

    How are poor people going to educate their children? Charity (in cases of genuine hardship). Technology (You can educate your children on a shoestring, if you use a little common sense--Check out khanacademy.org--free education right on the web). Family planning (The most important thing)--If you can't afford to raise children, don't keep downloading them!!!!!!!

    Bottom line. It's your responsibility. It's yours alone. It's not mine. It's not your neighbors'. It's not the state's.
    This is why Ron Paul fans have no business doing anything in public lie.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •