View Poll Results: Separation of Education and state

Voters
674. You may not vote on this poll
  • Total separation from all levels of government. All education privatized.

    26 3.86%
  • Total separation except for cities.

    35 5.19%
  • Total separation except for counties.

    47 6.97%
  • Total separation except for cities and counties.

    51 7.57%
  • Total separation except for states.

    68 10.09%
  • Separation except for states and cities

    48 7.12%
  • Separation except for states and counties

    55 8.16%
  • Separation from federal government only.

    49 7.27%
  • No separation

    216 32.05%
  • Other (specify)

    79 11.72%
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 197

Thread: Separation of Education and State

  1. #91
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    What'd you expect, some kind of extensive discussion on existing testing policies, generalized content standards, administrative procedures, and fiscal appropriations?

    Come now. You're dealing with a libertarian on the Internet. They found a couple books on he founding fathers and have it all covered, doncha know? :P
    No kidding. I agree with him that the Constitution does not allow for this. That ship sailed a long time ago. It's not coming back. You want to make the point? Ok, fine, make the point... then come back to today's reality. To keep belaboring the point makes him appear unaware of the real world around him.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  2. #92
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, each district has it's own expulsion policies. I support the idea of there being public schooling, but have watched it increasingly circle the toilet with greater and greater federal involvement.
    We agree on that point.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  3. #93
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You were mocking his assessment of the situation even while agreeing that the situation exists. Just wanted to hear YOUR solution since you were calling for his.
    There is no "solution". Not in the sense that he seems to think based on his ceaseless parroting of the same point ad nauseum. I never said, nor did I imply, there is. There is only working within the framework of today's reality. And I have put forth some of my thoughts earlier in the thread.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  4. #94
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,459

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    For instance, over the next 4 years you will see all states reporting more data in order for them to also drive up these statistics in a desirable direction for a specific group of students. Without the DoE this wouldn't be happening.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  5. #95
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    The problem I have with it is that unless we find another mechanism to fund district schools, you're never going to convince the average taxpayer to pay more property taxes, nor will you get a sympathetic ear from fiscal conservatives in-state. The idea that their generosity will flow once the Feds are out of the picture seems naive at best. The DoE is also great at monitoring and pushing the needle forward on district schools doing a better job. It may take a while but they act as a good buffer. I see it frequently and have researched how because of federal pushes, district schools re conceptualizer what they are supposed to do in one circumstance or another. It's a good thing to have.
    The state is already the funding arm of the schools, the local adds to that funding level. The feds got involved way back as some localities were adding more to their local funding than others, thus creating rich and poor districts. Federal funding helped to even this out. But you know how that goes, it's soon perverted. Now it's do what we say, teach what we want you to teach or we cut off your federal funding.

  6. #96
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,532

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    While I tend to disagree politically with Fiddy on most everything, he is one of the best educated, most knowledgeable people on the US constitution we have here. When you have shown any level of knowledge of actual constitutional law as it is applied to day, then maybe you can start to think about maybe, possibly correcting him. But even then you will probably fail.

  7. #97
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    The problem I have with it is that unless we find another mechanism to fund district schools, you're never going to convince the average taxpayer to pay more property taxes, nor will you get a sympathetic ear from fiscal conservatives in-state. The idea that their generosity will flow once the Feds are out of the picture seems naive at best. The DoE is also great at monitoring and pushing the needle forward on district schools doing a better job. It may take a while but they act as a good buffer. I see it frequently and have researched how because of federal pushes, district schools re conceptualizer what they are supposed to do in one circumstance or another. It's a good thing to have.
    Have you seen some of the new schools being built? If money is an issue, this is one place we need to reassess. I don't suggest we cram kids in one-room wooden school houses, but at the same time we really shouldn't be spending so much money on sprawling campuses with amenities that look wonderful but often go unused.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  8. #98
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    While I tend to disagree politically with Fiddy on most everything, he is one of the best educated, most knowledgeable people on the US constitution we have here. When you have shown any level of knowledge of actual constitutional law as it is applied to day, then maybe you can start to think about maybe, possibly correcting him. But even then you will probably fail.
    I agree, I've always found Fiddytree to be a poster well worth listening to in the past.

  9. #99
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,459

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    I'll agree with you. I don't study the Constitution at length. I know what people were doing when they were actually in power versus the rhetoric, but I'm not in any way going to purport to have studied the Constitution for a significant amount of time. I spend my energies elsewhere.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  10. #100
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Have you seen some of the new schools being built? If money is an issue, this is one place we need to reassess. I don't suggest we cram kids in one-room wooden school houses, but at the same time we really shouldn't be spending so much money on sprawling campuses with amenities that look wonderful but often go unused.
    Stadiums, that's my main gripe in this vein. It's the sports arenas built for educational institutions.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •