View Poll Results: Who's right?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Your black friend is right.

    137 50.74%
  • The cop is right.

    0 0%
  • Both are right.

    31 11.48%
  • Both are right... and wrong.

    56 20.74%
  • Both are wrong.

    18 6.67%
  • Other (please explain)

    28 10.37%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Who's right?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Who's right?

    A black friend of mine says that non-black people cannot possibly understand what black people go through as they have not "walked in my shoes".

    This morning on the radio I heard a NY cop being interviewed say, "Until you have put on a uniform and a badge, and strapped on a gun, and walked a beat, you have no right to criticize me for how I do my job." (paraphrasing, but that's pretty close)

    Both, obviously, saying that unless you've 'been there, done that', you don't know what you're talking about and your opinion is irrelevant.

    Who's right?

    This question is specifically about race relations, not a general concept.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,138

    Re: Who's right?

    They're both right. However, I've never walked in the shoes of a circus bearded woman either.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  3. #3
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    A black friend of mine says that non-black people cannot possibly understand what black people go through as they have not "walked in my shoes".

    This morning on the radio I heard a NY cop being interviewed say, "Until you have put on a uniform and a badge, and strapped on a gun, and walked a beat, you have no right to criticize me for how I do my job." (paraphrasing, but that's pretty close)

    Both, obviously, saying that unless you've 'been there, done that', you don't know what you're talking about and your opinion is irrelevant.

    Who's right?

    This question is specifically about race relations, not a general concept.
    I am not convinced we can separate the concept from the one instance of race relations.

    On race relations alone, yes a non-black can obtain an understanding of what is (and was) like to be Black in this nation. They may not get *all* the associated feelings with it, but they can at least understand enough to have a seat at the table of discussion on some issue. I am not saying an education is a direct replacement for experience, it is not an all or nothing attribute.

    The concept is an important one to debunk. We see it all the time. You should not criticize the military unless you have been in the military, you should not criticize the police unless you are a police officer, you should not criticize whatever unless you are whatever. It is not true. I've found that usually when that argument is presented it is basically because of not being able to debate the merits of whatever the real argument was.

    Otherwise, we are basically saying no one can criticize another unless they have the same experiences. And trying to have it both ways comes of hypocritical.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  4. #4
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    A black friend of mine says that non-black people cannot possibly understand what black people go through as they have not "walked in my shoes".

    This morning on the radio I heard a NY cop being interviewed say, "Until you have put on a uniform and a badge, and strapped on a gun, and walked a beat, you have no right to criticize me for how I do my job." (paraphrasing, but that's pretty close)

    Both, obviously, saying that unless you've 'been there, done that', you don't know what you're talking about and your opinion is irrelevant.

    Who's right?

    This question is specifically about race relations, not a general concept.
    Technically both are right. But how does the cop's answer have to do with race relations (I want to make sure I know what you're asking)?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #5
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Technically both are right. But how does the cop's answer have to do with race relations (I want to make sure I know what you're asking)?
    The interview had to do with the current state of police vs the black community, and the recent incidents that have been garnering so much attention.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #6
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who's right?

    Black guy is mostly right.
    It would be hard to understand what it is like to go through society as a black man.
    "Cannot Possibly" is stretching it, but I agree with the overall point.

    The Cop is not only dead wrong, he is also very offensive.
    Being a cop is not a race or gender, it is a job. A job that answers to the tax payer.
    It is not only a tax payer's right to criticize the police, it is a tax payer's duty to do so.
    This cop needs to be reminded who he works for. And if he still doesn't get it, he must be fired.
    How a cop does his job is not open for loose interpretation.
    A policeman is to follow the law and department regulations. Any policeman who can not handle that, is in the wrong line of work.

  7. #7
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,049

    Re: Who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    A black friend of mine says that non-black people cannot possibly understand what black people go through as they have not "walked in my shoes".

    This morning on the radio I heard a NY cop being interviewed say, "Until you have put on a uniform and a badge, and strapped on a gun, and walked a beat, you have no right to criticize me for how I do my job." (paraphrasing, but that's pretty close)

    Both, obviously, saying that unless you've 'been there, done that', you don't know what you're talking about and your opinion is irrelevant.

    Who's right?

    This question is specifically about race relations, not a general concept.
    Er...what? That's a totally false analogy. It's true that unless I have been a black man I'm not going to sufficiently understand what a black man goes through, and likewise I'm not going to properly understand the depth of the every day life of a cop. However, I can absolutely criticize a cop for killing a suspect without cause, just as I will criticize a black man for carrying out some unprovoked violent criminal behavior.

    You're essentially comparing a state of being with an action.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 12-23-14 at 10:30 PM.

  8. #8
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I am not convinced we can separate the concept from the one instance of race relations.

    On race relations alone, yes a non-black can obtain an understanding of what is (and was) like to be Black in this nation. They may not get *all* the associated feelings with it, but they can at least understand enough to have a seat at the table of discussion on some issue. I am not saying an education is a direct replacement for experience, it is not an all or nothing attribute.

    The concept is an important one to debunk. We see it all the time. You should not criticize the military unless you have been in the military, you should not criticize the police unless you are a police officer, you should not criticize whatever unless you are whatever. It is not true. I've found that usually when that argument is presented it is basically because of not being able to debate the merits of whatever the real argument was.

    Otherwise, we are basically saying no one can criticize another unless they have the same experiences. And trying to have it both ways comes of hypocritical.
    Outstanding post. Obviously, I agree with this point of view (or else I wouldn't see it as outstanding. lol).

    To your point in the third paragraph, taken to its logical extreme, men could never opine anything regarding women, and visa versa.

    I'll grant that experience does add perspective, but it's not the be all and end all. Sometimes an outside view gives clarity that those too close cannot see.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #9
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The interview had to do with the current state of police vs the black community, and the recent incidents that have been garnering so much attention.
    Okay, but I don't get it. I was never a cop so I can't pretend I was. I was never black so I can't pretend I was.

    So technically they are both right in their answers, but what does it have to do with race relations? What if a cop is black....is he a cop first, or a black person first?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #10
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Who's right?

    Well, if you consider psychology a science the answer is neither the cop nor your black friend are correct. It's a question posed in Psych 101. It's the old one legged tennis player's complaint, no body can understand what I go through unless they are a one legged tennis player too. Turns out the one legged tennis player doesn't have the corner on some new emotional state or a different plane of understanding.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •