View Poll Results: Does racism still exist in USA ?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    69 89.61%
  • no

    2 2.60%
  • l dont know

    1 1.30%
  • other

    5 6.49%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 176

Thread: Does racism still exist in USA ?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    No, it exists as an influence on society independent of any individual's thoughts.
    Racism does not exist without someone to think it. Like all memes, racism has no concrete physical form of it's own. It's a meme, it isn't actually real, it's a catchy idea.

    The only way to stop a meme is for everyone to deny thinking of it. The moment you think of race, the moment you think of equality, the moment you post in this thread, you have perpetuated racism.

    Does racism still exist in USA ?-do-we-stop-racism-jpg

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You mean it's not a physical object? Yes, obviously racism is not a physical object. I think everyone understands that. Were you under the impression some people believe racism is a physical object; I've never met any such person, have you?
    Gravity is not a physical object yet is a real thing in it's own right. Gravity exists regardless of our thinking about it. Racism, being a meme, requires a mind to think of racism before it exists. Racism does not exist in the absence of people to think about it, unlike gravity.

    Therefore racism is not real. It's an idea, a meme just like religious faith.

  3. #103
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,368

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Racism does not exist without someone to think it.
    Yet it exists independent of any individual's ideas.

    Like all memes, racism has no concrete physical form of it's own. It's a meme, it isn't actually real, it's a catchy idea.
    All abstract objects are memes? Abstract objects are not real?

    The only way to stop a meme is for everyone to deny thinking of it.
    The only way to stop racism is for everyone to deny thinking of it? Hows does that end racism? You think ignoring a problem makes it go away?

  4. #104
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,368

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Gravity is not a physical object yet is a real thing in it's own right.
    It's a physical force. Same dif. It exists in the physical world.

    Gravity is not an abstract object.

    Gravity exists regardless of our thinking about it. Racism, being a meme, requires a mind to think of racism before it exists. Racism does not exist in the absence of people to think about it, unlike gravity.
    That's because gravity is a physical force and not an abstract object.

    Therefore racism is not real. It's an idea, a meme just like religious faith.
    Abstract objects are real. Christianity and math, for examples, exist regardless of your ideas about them or not.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The only way to stop racism is for everyone to deny thinking of it?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hows does that end racism?
    Like a fire that runs out of fuel, it's extinguished.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You think ignoring a problem makes it go away?
    No one talking about ignoring anything. Ignoring is a positive action that has to be performed, structured nonobservance. What I'm talking about is the absence of regard, not active disregard.

    Like how an atheist simply has no belief in god. Not a belief that god isn't real, but no belief either way.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It's a physical force. Same dif. It exists in the physical world.

    Gravity is not an abstract object.



    That's because gravity is a physical force and not an abstract object.



    Abstract objects are real. Christianity and math, for examples, exist regardless of your ideas about them or not.
    Racism is real only in so far as memes are real. They don't exist unless you think about them.

  7. #107
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,368

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No one talking about ignoring anything. Ignoring is a positive action that has to be performed, structured nonobservance. What I'm talking about is the absence of regard, not active disregard.

    Like how an atheist simply has no belief in god. Not a belief that god isn't real, but no belief either way.
    So your solution is for people to stop being racists. That's not really so much a solution as the destination sought - the metaphorical mountaintop (which will never actually be reached).

    Your nonsense: My solution to racism is that racism ceases to exist.

  8. #108
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,368

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Racism is real only in so far as memes are real. They don't exist unless you think about them.
    Abstract objects are real, no matter if I think about them.

    Beside, thinking about racism is not racism. Everyone could think about it and as long as no one was a racist then there wouldn't be any racism. So the 'stop thinking about it' solution is BS on multiple levels.

    Are you claiming one cannot think about racism without being a racist? Assuming one can, in fact, think about racism and not be a racist, your position is complete crap.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 12-20-14 at 03:24 AM.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Based on the anecdotal evidence I have seen on tv and read in newspapers etc. etc. etc. it would certainly look like it is still alive and kicking. But every society has some degree of racist elements. Racism sadly will always exist in any country. But let's be honest, the racism of today is more hidden and not to the level that it was decades ago. For some people it may still be very bad but overall, racism is down.

    Racism must be fought at every turn, but believing it will ever go away is a wonderful dream but it is just that, a dream because there will always be racists. There will always be people who hate others for them being of another race.

    As to whether or not the US is still racist? As said evidence suggest this and I believe it is still in the US (like I stated it lives in every country) but for me this is not a yes or no question because racism is evil and eternal. To say that there is no racism in a country is impossible to say (according to me) because some part of every society is racist and will remain racist.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  10. #110
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,368

    Re: Does racism still exist in USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Based on the anecdotal evidence I have seen on tv and read in newspapers etc. etc. etc. it would certainly look like it is still alive and kicking. But every society has some degree of racist elements. Racism sadly will always exist in any country. But let's be honest, the racism of today is more hidden and not to the level that it was decades ago. For some people it may still be very bad but overall, racism is down.

    Racism must be fought at every turn, but believing it will ever go away is a wonderful dream but it is just that, a dream because there will always be racists. There will always be people who hate others for them being of another race.

    As to whether or not the US is still racist? As said evidence suggest this and I believe it is still in the US (like I stated it lives in every country) but for me this is not a yes or no question because racism is evil and eternal. To say that there is no racism in a country is impossible to say (according to me) because some part of every society is racist and will remain racist.
    Correct. The mountaintop Dr. King spoke of is a metaphor, unattainable and not 2014. People claiming corrective actions are racist are implicitly claiming we've reached the mountaintop.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •