View Poll Results: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    8 11.94%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    5 7.46%
  • Im not American, yes.

    1 1.49%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    26 38.81%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    19 28.36%
  • Im not American, no.

    8 11.94%
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 347

Thread: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,084

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I agree with your conclusion but not the premise, PC is about censorship to impede honest discussion,
    Political correctness is about behavior which goes against what most find acceptable. It's not about silencing discussion. That's why people on the right complaining that it's politically incorrect to be a homophobe/racist etc. It's because the majority are simply not racist/homophobic etc. Again, right wingers in those cases are complaining that they can't be racist/homophobic because it is politically incorrect. They're not complaining about the discussion being silenced but the fact that their behavior is not accepted by the majority.

    With that said, it is politically incorrect to not celebrate Christmas. The politically correct stance is to do as Ben Stein says and celebrate Christmas because you're in a country where the majority are white Christian protestants. Are you going to stay consistent and oppose the PC that Ben Stein is espousing? Or are you going to be inconsistent and say that it's fine for people to celebrate or not celebrate or criticize Christmas as they wish and embrace an anti-PC stance?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-18-14 at 10:21 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #52
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Can Red not participate in the general celebration of American Christmas?
    Red can do whatever he so chooses, but what's the point? I guess I could fast during Ramadan but why would I? Am not Muslim so what purpose would it serve me? Essential when you remove Christ from his own birthday celebration you having nothing left but to spend money on trinkets and out of control materialism.... Merry Christmas

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Oh Bull****. If someone is nice enough to wish you "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays," or even "Happy Kwanzaa," just thank them for the well wishes and wish them the same. Otherwise you're just being an uptight ass.
    This is why I always go out of my way to wish a Merry Christmas to the lefties I know. I can see veins popping but they dont want to appear uptight (though they often are).

  4. #54
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    This is why I always go out of my way to wish a Merry Christmas to the lefties I know. I can see veins popping but they dont want to appear uptight (though they often are).
    May you have a joyous Kwanzaa.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #55
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?-mithra-jpg

    Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?-merry-jpg
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  6. #56
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its not hard to top a Clear Eyes ad, is it?
    Lets see here. In the beginning of the clip Stein says, "My wife and I celebrate Christmas, big-time. I am sure we have more decorations than anyone within miles of here has.". But then he goes on to rail against commercialism... Hmmmmmmm... He admits he just bought a **** ton of Christmas lights and decorations and proudly showed them off in the video, but then goes on to rail against the "commercialism" of the Christmas season.... Can you say hypocrite..??


  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Political correctness is about behavior which goes against what most find acceptable. It's not about silencing discussion. That's why people on the right complaining that it's politically incorrect to be a homophobe/racist etc. It's because the majority are simply not racist/homophobic etc. Likewise, it is politically incorrect to not celebrate Christmas. The politically correct stance is to do as Ben Stein says and celebrate Christmas because you're in a country where the majority are white Christian protestants.
    Its about control, in my example speech control-in yours behavior control in general. And thats something most Americans aren't cool with. People despise PC because it forces them (under threat of stigmatization) to use the words of another. And no, they dont need to be racists for that to be the case.

    Serious question who do you know that really likes PC? Do you have something against free speech?

  8. #58
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Merry Christmas BTW! Im sure unlike our lefties you know that is meant as a good thing.
    Any expression of affection and good wishes, I take as a good thing. There's way too much suffering in the world, to be offended by good wishes. If you can't just appreciate that someone wishes you well in a season that is special to them, then your attitude sucks.

    I don't know if you've ever read my story about my old friend from when I used to work the pedi icu unit back in the 80's. One of the pediatricians was a Jewish man from NYC, and he moved down here to be the medical director of the unit I worked on. Over the first year that he was here, we became good friends- close enough that he would take me to lunch for my birthday, or spend time in his office just talking about life. One year for Christmas, I gave him a funny Christmas card. On front of the card, was a picture of a red rose. Inside, it read :

    Roses are Reddish
    Violets are Bluish
    If it wasn't for Jesus
    We all would be Jewish.

    We got some great laughs out of that, and it was nice to have a friend who was Jewish, who also celebrated Christmas, and wasn't offended that I joked about religion, and didn't get his ass upon his shoulders if someone said Merry Christmas to him.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #59
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Not necessarily, my mother had a friend from her school days named Stein. Relatively good Catholic - not the most devout person you'll meet, but not Jewish.

    Bruce Springsteen isn't Jewish either, for the record.
    Sorry- I thought it would be pretty obvious that I was joking, when I used a lol emoticon.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Christmas always was about giving and receiving presents. Christians tried to change it into being about Jesus, but no one really bought it, not even Christians.
    The gift part is fairly recent. It was a stern religious holiday for most of history. Maybe there was a feast at most. Even in the US it hasn't been about just gifts. Besides, there are worse things than spending time with friends and family and giving and receiving gifts you know.

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •