View Poll Results: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    8 11.94%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    5 7.46%
  • Im not American, yes.

    1 1.49%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    26 38.81%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    19 28.36%
  • Im not American, no.

    8 11.94%
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 347

Thread: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

  1. #301
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Indeed. Think of the chaos between those ears at times.
    think of the Chaos if they ran everything....
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    think of the Chaos if they ran everything....
    One can imagine.

  3. #303
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    One can imagine.
    Seriously, I get so weary with the instant attack based not on anything the individual said or did, but what the tribal drums say they said or did, filtered through whatever radical lens they choose to excuse a mediocre life.

    The extreme right are as bad, survivalists in Idaho aren't scary at all, they're too ****ing predictable to frighten anyone. The left, though, has official status in the meme mania, supported in strength by the leader of the Free World, God help us in our dire time of need.

    Earlier today, in a meeting with poverty pimps [somewhat unfair, they are unpaid at least] I listened to an hour of woe about government funding cuts, attacks on the poor and mentally ill and on and on including personal remarks, untrue and unflattering about our female premier who, according to this wisdom, is waging war on the mentally ill.

    I am sorry, I kind of lost it. The truth is the government in the last two years has expanded funds 'directly earmarked" by 250%, "just not to YOU! Sorry, morons, but in this government you kind of have to justify how you spend the money"...

    But filling out paperwork is "encouraging the bureaucratic prohibition and persecution of the disabled..."

    I write ONE letter of praise for a program last fall, and am offered seed money to get a new idea underway. One.

    So, of course, Ben, who I think is one of the most gifted, clever and wise journalists alive today, says anything, HE, not the idea must be dismissed as anything less would mean you are agreeing with someone who not only allows for the existence of God but believes in Him and testifies to that faith. Which is a capital offense as having a good idea and believing in God cannot coexist.

    They know that for a fact because "everyone else" thinks so too...

    You know, I have a friend, a street person near me who is way smarter than that. He has no way of staying up with the news, but he asks extremely appropriate questions, absorbs the answers and sometimes even challenges the point.

    and some people wonder why I like to hang with him and not the poverty pimps.....
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Seriously, I get so weary with the instant attack based not on anything the individual said or did, but what the tribal drums say they said or did, filtered through whatever radical lens they choose to excuse a mediocre life.

    The extreme right are as bad, survivalists in Idaho aren't scary at all, they're too ****ing predictable to frighten anyone. The left, though, has official status in the meme mania, supported in strength by the leader of the Free World, God help us in our dire time of need.

    Earlier today, in a meeting with poverty pimps [somewhat unfair, they are unpaid at least] I listened to an hour of woe about government funding cuts, attacks on the poor and mentally ill and on and on including personal remarks, untrue and unflattering about our female premier who, according to this wisdom, is waging war on the mentally ill.

    I am sorry, I kind of lost it. The truth is the government in the last two years has expanded funds 'directly earmarked" by 250%, "just not to YOU! Sorry, morons, but in this government you kind of have to justify how you spend the money"...

    But filling out paperwork is "encouraging the bureaucratic prohibition and persecution of the disabled..."

    I write ONE letter of praise for a program last fall, and am offered seed money to get a new idea underway. One.

    So, of course, Ben, who I think is one of the most gifted, clever and wise journalists alive today, says anything, HE, not the idea must be dismissed as anything less would mean you are agreeing with someone who not only allows for the existence of God but believes in Him and testifies to that faith. Which is a capital offense as having a good idea and believing in God cannot coexist.

    They know that for a fact because "everyone else" thinks so too...

    You know, I have a friend, a street person near me who is way smarter than that. He has no way of staying up with the news, but he asks extremely appropriate questions, absorbs the answers and sometimes even challenges the point.

    and some people wonder why I like to hang with him and not the poverty pimps.....
    Thats the problem, they confuse thought with feeling. Emotion with insight. And then its all shoot the messenger from there. Its a very intellectually lazy way to approach life.

    We have the same pimps down here, probably worse, its really about them finding ways to manipulate people through appeals to emotion and propaganda for their personal benefit.

    And Ive met some of the very poor that have absolutely astounded me, they can't be written off.

    What was your proposal regarding?

  5. #305
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Thats the problem, they confuse thought with feeling. Emotion with insight. And then its all shoot the messenger from there. Its a very intellectually lazy way to approach life.

    We have the same pimps down here, probably worse, its really about them finding ways to manipulate people through appeals to emotion and propaganda for their personal benefit.

    And Ive met some of the very poor that have absolutely astounded me, they can't be written off.

    What was your proposal regarding?
    Oh, a part-time work/training program for medium to high functioning 'people with barriers' or "nutbars" as I playfully say. There is a lot of brain power, people who were at one time very high functioning professionals out there who have a lot to offer and are worsening because of being idle.

    So, some of us put together some other people and we tried one on one workshops etc., and through the year it kind of organically became this....thing, nutbars in volunteer positions and in two cases some work for pay which did not get clawed back.

    It worked so well but only us and some people in my church knew about it so I did some writing to people in government, used some buzz words like "peer to peer" and "linear social integration" and got a response in about two weeks. "What? Volunteer nutbars helping nutbars to volunteer? How much would you like?"

    Well not quite, it was here's how to apply but you get my drift.

    it's an awesome program with a strong background in substance abuse counseling, and a real sense of community developing but a bit chaotic as we don't really do rules.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Oh, a part-time work/training program for medium to high functioning 'people with barriers' or "nutbars" as I playfully say. There is a lot of brain power, people who were at one time very high functioning professionals out there who have a lot to offer and are worsening because of being idle.

    So, some of us put together some other people and we tried one on one workshops etc., and through the year it kind of organically became this....thing, nutbars in volunteer positions and in two cases some work for pay which did not get clawed back.

    It worked so well but only us and some people in my church knew about it so I did some writing to people in government, used some buzz words like "peer to peer" and "linear social integration" and got a response in about two weeks. "What? Volunteer nutbars helping nutbars to volunteer? How much would you like?"

    Well not quite, it was here's how to apply but you get my drift.

    it's an awesome program with a strong background in substance abuse counseling, and a real sense of community developing but a bit chaotic as we don't really do rules.
    I like it. Seems like a fine idea. Isn't it funny how the govt falls for for phrases and buzzwords?

  7. #307
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well to be fair, the original holiday was a Pagan celebration. So this could be seen as just more change of the holiday as mankind moves along in time.
    Actually, no, the time which was chosen for Christ's Mass was at the end of a period of pagan celebration. All that's "evil" for lack of a better word is the transmutation of a Christian celebration into a secular consumerist's bon temps bonanza.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  8. #308
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post


    Christmas is the constant target of political correctness in the USA as well as a major driver of the economy, but its also more than that for the majority of Americans, do you agree with Ben Steins perspective?
    I don't exactly agree with his reasoning since I'm not religious, but despite being an atheist, I love Christmas. It's my favorite time of the year.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I don't exactly agree with his reasoning since I'm not religious, but despite being an atheist, I love Christmas. It's my favorite time of the year.
    Cheers I hope you take no offense when I wish you merry Christmas.

  10. #310
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you agree with Ben Stein's unique Christmas perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Cheers I hope you take no offense when I wish you merry Christmas.
    I'm never offended by someone who has sincere good wishes to offer me. That would be silly.

    I hope you have a merry Christmas too.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •