View Poll Results: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

Voters
898. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, We don't want anybody killed or injured.

    319 35.52%
  • No, their decision reflects badly on the USA.

    108 12.03%
  • Meh

    216 24.05%
  • Other

    255 28.40%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 113

Thread: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    It's their film, they can do what they want with it.

    I don't much care either way.

  2. #32
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Not sure if this has been discussed in any of the threads on this, but thought I would throw it out there:

    The Evidence That North Korea Hacked Sony Is Flimsy | WIRED

    The New York Times reported this evening that North Korea is “centrally involved” in the hack, citing unnamed U.S. intelligence officials. It’s unclear from the Times report what “centrally involved” means and whether the intelligence officials are saying the hackers were state-sponsored or actually agents of the state. The Times also notes that “It is not clear how the United States came to its determination that the North Korean regime played a central role in the Sony attacks.” The public evidence pointing at the Hermit Kingdom is flimsy.
    Other theories of attribution focus on hacktivists—motivated by ideology, politics or something else—or disgruntled insiders who stole the data on their own or assisted outsiders in gaining access to it. Recently, the finger has pointed at China.
    In the service of unraveling the attribution mess, we examined the known evidence for and against North Korea.
    Article is a fascinating read. Here is also a blog that covers similar ground: Why the Sony hack is unlikely to be the work of North Korea. | Marc's Security Ramblings

    3. It’s clear from the hard-coded paths and passwords in the malware that whoever wrote it had extensive knowledge of Sony’s internal architecture and access to key passwords. While it’s plausible that an attacker could have built up this knowledge over time and then used it to make the malware, Occam’s razor suggests the simpler explanation of an insider. It also fits with the pure revenge tact that this started out as.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Sony has had a much more complicated history with this film than this.

    The first time North Korea shot out in anger, Sony pressured Rogen to: 1) Cut the character out completely 2) Once denied that, asked that his death sequence be removed. This was all done because they "threatened war" (in the usual and practically parodied North Korean bravado). Rogen refused on both accounts. Sony then dealt with the hacking scandal and subsequent terrorist threat. Then proceeded to bow over above and beyond the call of duty, despite the government claiming there was no actionable evidence of a threat. First they drew down the publicity. There may have been concerns expressed by the theater chains prior, however, Sony called an emergency meeting before the chains pulled out and gave them the contractual okay to release themselves from the film. Sony initiated the pull-outs. They even cut an unrelated film starring Steve Carell, because its plot centered around North Korea (without any pressure from the hacking group or North Korea). They then refuse to release "The Interview" under any format and removed all publicity ties to the film.

    Sony, throughout this entire process, has been weak-kneed and almost acted as if it was their duty to exercise American foreign policy. Hell, they decided to give them more than what they asked for. Instead of one film killed, they kill two. This tells me that Sony has consistently acted in bad faith and erred on the side of caving in (and even rewarding) to North Korean threats throughout the post-production and release process.
    I didn't know about all of this although I did not know about them pulling the Carell film. I also recall one of the leaked emails from a Sony executive saying that they thought the movie was horrible and wishing that they hadn't produced it. I'm inclined to believe that, at least on Sony's side, there's more going on than meets the eye, but I'm not sure what all of that entails. If they did, as you say, initiate the pull-outs, then I'm more curious about those details.

    Correct. The concerns were justifiable, but the actions send a terrible message for this globalized internet age.

    Exactly.
    I don't agree that the actions of the theaters necessarily send a terrible message. I think their response to threats (keeping the assumption that they were truly responding to concerns about the threats) was fine. I don't believe that responding to threats of violence by removing the focal point of the anger sends a terrible message as it says that lives are more important than stupid movies and money. That said, if they weren't truly responding to their concerns over threats and actually pulled the movie because Sony doesn't want something revealed or they were promised that the controversy could get them a bigger pay day, then that sends a terrible message.

  4. #34
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,124
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    I don't think anyone is ruling out the notion that it could be internal hacking and there's major blackmail material the Execs don't want to risk getting leaked. Still Sony is pathetic for this stunt.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  5. #35
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Not just no, but hell no it wasn't right. Typical Sony. Stupid enough their network was exposed to that degree. But a weak and cowardly reaction. Guess I'll have to keep on with my longstanding policy to not buy Sony.

  6. #36
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,706

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Well, let's see here, a movie is made about the CIA telling journalists to off (kill) the leader of another country.

    Why would anyone consider making a movie like that in the first place? IMO, it's in bad taste. Besides, doesn't America have some sort of credo that it's not supposed to assassinate leaders of other countries? As much as people might dislike NK leadership, and other countries leadership, is it a good thing to send a message like that? That we're coming to get you?
    and people sit around wondering why people of other nations want to, and do cause harm and death to Americans... definitely a head scratcher-trying to figure out why. stupid Sony.

    and people wonder why NK has nuclear ambitions.
    I mentioned something along the same lines yesterday. Who greenlit this project? Who thought it was OK to do this, and think that Mr. Pompous wouldn't get his knickers in a twist over it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #37
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I mentioned something along the same lines yesterday. Who greenlit this project? Who thought it was OK to do this, and think that Mr. Pompous wouldn't get his knickers in a twist over it?
    I have to wonder that if another nation, maybe NK, Iran or some other, would make a movie similar to this, depicting a journalist offing (killing an American president) if there would be similar outrage? I would have to think that Americans would be so incensed to want to bomb them into oblivion, yes?

  8. #38
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    I have to wonder that if another nation, maybe NK, Iran or some other, would make a movie similar to this, depicting a journalist offing (killing an American president) if there would be similar outrage? I would have to think that Americans would be so incensed to want to bomb them into oblivion, yes?
    hmmm, We didn't bomb ourselves when the movie about the slaying of Bush, while he was in office, played.

    Rememberin'

    Thom Paine
    Remember, on the other side of that screen is a real person. ( Missouri Mule )

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"
    no. but they should stop making ****ty, unfunny comedies in the first place.

    when you think about it, though, this piece of **** will probably eventually be released on DVD, and every asshole on the planet will buy it. WOOHOO, FORBIDDEN ****TY COMEDY: I WILL WATCH THEM*




























































































    *i may or may not be one of these assholes

  10. #40
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Was Sony correct canceling "The Interview?"

    Forget those plans by Alamo Drafthouse Cinema and other theaters to run Team America: World Police in place of The Interview. The Austin-based chain says that Paramount has now decided not to offer South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s 2004 satire that focuses on Kim Jong-il, the late father of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. Alamo says that the cancellation at its Dallas theater is “due to circumstances beyond our control” and says it will offer refunds to those who have already bought tickets. Cleveland’s Capitol Theater also tweeted that Team America “has been canceled by Paramount Pictures.”
    https://deadline.com/2014/12/paramou...ca-1201329597/

    Hollywood is continuing its sucktitude over this unsubstantiated threat.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •