View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Cuban embargo?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was right then and it should not be lifted

    2 1.89%
  • It was wrong then and it is right to be lifted

    18 16.98%
  • It was right then and it right to be lifted

    82 77.36%
  • It was wrong then but it should not be lifted

    0 0%
  • Other, please explain .............

    1 0.94%
  • I hate those rotten commies, bomb them out of Cuba now!!

    0 0%
  • I am a peaceful person, let's all go over to Cuba to hug commies

    1 0.94%
  • I do not care one way or another / I have no opinion

    2 1.89%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

  1. #1
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Thank goodness mr. Gross is back from Cuba after 5 horrible years.

    You can think what you want of that, bringing illegal materials to a country that has rules clearly not allowing that is not smart. Jailing him instead of just deporting him was also a wrong decision from the Cuban authorities but that is now all solved because he is free.

    It looks like president Obama is going to strive for better relations with Cuba because it does not look like the police of the past 54 years has worked. The US trades with just about any other country in the world and by any reasonable standard the embargo policy has failed.

    What do you think? Was the embargo wrong or was it not the wrong decisions? Or was it right then and is it wrong to now continue it?
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #2
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Thank goodness mr. Gross is back from Cuba after 5 horrible years.

    You can think what you want of that, bringing illegal materials to a country that has rules clearly not allowing that is not smart. Jailing him instead of just deporting him was also a wrong decision from the Cuban authorities but that is now all solved because he is free.

    It looks like president Obama is going to strive for better relations with Cuba because it does not look like the police of the past 54 years has worked. The US trades with just about any other country in the world and by any reasonable standard the embargo policy has failed.

    What do you think? Was the embargo wrong or was it not the wrong decisions? Or was it right then and is it wrong to now continue it?
    The Cuban Embargo was a nasty and mean spirited policy from Day One. It was designed to
    hurt the people of Cuba. It seems to be something the USA likes to do, while squealing
    Human Rights tripe. Torture, Iraq, Guantanamo, Libya, Ukraine, etc. are projections of
    bad USA policy and it is definitely not a manifestation of the thoughts of average USA
    individuals and families. We should be a lot better than that. Let the people speak.

  3. #3
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Jesus, why do you need to make the options so ****ing complicated?


  4. #4
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    I don't think America should regret having initiated the policy.

    What I do think America should regret is the fact that the policy is still on-going right now even though the Soviet Union is dead and Cuba isn't really that much of an enemy to us.

    If Putin tries to pander to them like the Soviets did (Putin being the inferior subhuman ex-KGB he is) then fine, embargo Cuba again (or annihilate them, one or the other, time to stop playing around with national security), but that's a far fetched what-if. I think the Cubans are ready to embrace America, the problem is that America for some reason doesn't feel ready to embrace them back.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  5. #5
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Made sense then, does not make sense now, end it already. We should be moving on from these things, especially when they did not work well in the first place.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  6. #6
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    I don't think America should regret having initiated the policy.

    What I do think America should regret is the fact that the policy is still on-going right now even though the Soviet Union is dead and Cuba isn't really that much of an enemy to us.

    If Putin tries to pander to them like the Soviets did (Putin being the inferior subhuman ex-KGB he is) then fine, embargo Cuba again (or annihilate them, one or the other, time to stop playing around with national security), but that's a far fetched what-if. I think the Cubans are ready to embrace America, the problem is that America for some reason doesn't feel ready to embrace them back.
    I don't think Cubans want to embrace America, just end an embargo that was
    an attack against the average Cuban.. As for the USA, we just want to make
    some money off the deal and keep Russia from putting Nukes on the Island.
    There's also the huge offshore oil deposits. Any USA motivation will be
    motivated by "Vulture Corporatism," with no altruistic tendencies.

  7. #7
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Thank goodness mr. Gross is back from Cuba after 5 horrible years.

    You can think what you want of that, bringing illegal materials to a country that has rules clearly not allowing that is not smart. Jailing him instead of just deporting him was also a wrong decision from the Cuban authorities but that is now all solved because he is free.

    It looks like president Obama is going to strive for better relations with Cuba because it does not look like the police of the past 54 years has worked. The US trades with just about any other country in the world and by any reasonable standard the embargo policy has failed.

    What do you think? Was the embargo wrong or was it not the wrong decisions? Or was it right then and is it wrong to now continue it?
    Why would jailing him be wrong?

    Canada jails people who illegally import as does the US. FFS, some Canadians have been jailed for some really stupid ****. try taking contraband into Mexico, or China. The rule is always obey the laws of the host nation whether you agree with them or not.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  8. #8
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Failed? No, not necessarily. But it did go on way too long and should have ended many years ago.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #9
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I don't think Cubans want to embrace America, just end an embargo that was
    an attack against the average Cuban.. As for the USA, we just want to make
    some money off the deal and keep Russia from putting Nukes on the Island.
    There's also the huge offshore oil deposits. Any USA motivation will be
    motivated by "Vulture Corporatism," with no altruistic tendencies.
    One, there is no chance that Russia will ever put nukes on the island. Russia hasn't been putting much money into Cuba since the end of the cold war, Cuba gets more aid and trade from the Commonwealth countries.

    What Cuba wants is an end to the embargoes. They mostly need car parts and new, economical cars. They need manufacturing equipment also embargoed.

    What they offer the US, is sugar. And that's been the issue. The American sugar industry is heavily subsidized and Cuban availability will wreck the whole system. However, what few people know is that Bananas, as we eat them, cannot produce seed, and the established crops throughout the Caribbean coast are dying off from a fungus. Cuba is one of few places not affected.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  10. #10
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: After 54 years, was the Cuban embargo a failed policy or not

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Why would jailing him be wrong?

    Canada jails people who illegally import as does the US. FFS, some Canadians have been jailed for some really stupid ****. try taking contraband into Mexico, or China. The rule is always obey the laws of the host nation whether you agree with them or not.
    If it would have been spying yes, but for illegally importing the 15 years was way too harsh. If jail was warranted it should be in accordance with the economical offense he committed, not for spying.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •