View Poll Results: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeb Bush's family

    72 26.77%
  • Clinton's family

    197 73.23%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 162

Thread: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    A POTUS doesn't have that power. I doubt a federal congress has the power either. It's firmly in the hands of state legislatures and governors. Gerrymandering has been a part of our system since before the first elections for the US Congress.
    Congress alone can fix it, but they won't fix it. the president could advocate for an obvious solution, but he won't do that, either.

  2. #22
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Congress alone can fix it, but they won't fix it. the president could advocate for an obvious solution, but he won't do that, either.
    Not the federal congress. Gerrymandering precedes them as a state power. Take a look at SCOTUS cases involving gerrymandering. ALL of them take as fact that gerrymandering is a power of STATE legislatures. It is only if the result conflicts with constitutional rights that the cases are heard.

    Besides, gerrymandering only affects the People's House (federally).
    Last edited by clownboy; 12-16-14 at 09:54 PM.

  3. #23
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So many strawman arguments, so little time. What was stated is that this piece of information could be used against him, just like it was used against McCain. At no point was it stated that McCain lost because of it or any such nonsense. Now, if you have no more strawman arguments, you're welcome to move along.
    "That could hurt Jeb in the primaries."
    As Jeb Bush is a Republican Candidate with a diverse family background... this comment leads me to assume it means that since the racial bigotry of republican voters , it would hurt Jeb in the primary.

    Your reply to "How so?" suggested that you thought your example proved racial bigotry in the state of South Carolina. Which only confirms my first assumption.

    If this is not your intention, then please clarify.... but seeing as how you replied to the conversation that is the only logical assumption. I'm reading between your lines.

    I showed that that occurrence had little to no affect with McCain losing South Carolina.... so it wasn't effectively used against him, but it is an effective tool to slander Southern republicans.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 12-16-14 at 09:53 PM.

  4. #24
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    A POTUS doesn't have that power. I doubt a federal congress has the power either. It's firmly in the hands of state legislatures and governors. Gerrymandering has been a part of our system since before the first elections for the US Congress.
    Article 1 Sect 4 Clause 1 gives the Congress the power to step in a legislate the manner of elections.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Not the federal congress. Gerrymandering precedes them as a state power. Take a look at SCOTUS cases involving gerrymandering. ALL of them take as fact that gerrymandering is a power of STATE legislatures. It is only if the result conflicts with constitutional rights that the cases are heard.

    Besides, gerrymandering only affects the People's House.
    gerrymandering should be eliminated federally by redrawing all districts using only census data. that's the way to fix the problem.

  6. #26
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    gerrymandering should be eliminated federally by redrawing all districts using only census data. that's the way to fix the problem.
    Again, they do not have that grant of power.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?



    Clinton family:




    Jeb Bush's family:




    No offense, but you are demonstrating what is wrong with American voters...they care far more about style then substance.


    Who gives a crap which family looks more 'Americana'?

    This is a POTUS race, not the Miss America pageant.


    Are you seriously suggesting this matters?

    Are you that shallow and superficial or racist?
    Last edited by DA60; 12-16-14 at 10:03 PM.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, they do not have that grant of power.
    what, to pass a law that says districts will be drawn by a computer using population data generated by the census?

    ok. then enjoy the ****ed up status quo, and don't complain about it.

  9. #29
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Article 1 Sect 4 Clause 1 gives the Congress the power to step in a legislate the manner of elections.
    It does not address drawing district lines, but rather times, places and manner of elections held for US senate in each state.

  10. #30
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Which family looks more "Americana"? The Clinton's or Jeb Bush's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So many strawman arguments, so little time. What was stated is that this piece of information could be used against him, just like it was used against McCain. At no point was it stated that McCain lost because of it or any such nonsense. Now, if you have no more strawman arguments, you're welcome to move along.
    Context and the way you use your evidence matters... it shows you are being deceitful. That random crass polling that was done was not a significant part of the campaign that lead McCain to lose, and many other negative lies and polls were done as well, that was just one of them... but since it just so happened to be the racial one, LET MAKE THAT A BIG STORY to be used 14 YEAR LATER!!!!. Only people who want to make Southern republicans seem like racist would want to make that unwarranted argument.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •