View Poll Results: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not -- part of her family denies it.

    7 7.14%
  • Absolutely -- part of her family says it's true.

    1 1.02%
  • How the hell would I know?

    29 29.59%
  • I don't see why this is so unbelievable.

    7 7.14%
  • Who cares?

    64 65.31%
  • No, seriously, this is the least important issue in the history of anything ever.

    35 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 452

Thread: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

  1. #371
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Why on earth would she want to distance herself from her ethnic heritage ?
    For the same reason "Bobby" Jindal would. It allows one to better fit into a new society. It's not racist against one's own group. It's a normal reaction to being either raised in the US or being the first generation born in the US. You ever seen the Godfather? There is a reason Santino went by Sunny, Federico went by Fredo and Michael had no need for nicknames. Likewise, there are literally millions of people who keep nicknames because their names are hard to pronounce. Ludmya isn't a common name in Utah. It's not even a common name in NYC (where there is a substantially bigger Haitian population). Again, the ways immigrants and their children choose to use their names are decisions based on their understanding of ethnicity. Choosing to distance yourself from your ethnicity through names really isn't as a big a deal as you seem to make it. Millions of immigrants and their children do it. This does not mean anything in terms of their integrity anymore than believing you're NA because your family tells you so does.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #372
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    He just thinks she took her husband's last name when she married him so she could hide from her blackness and be more white. You know, that's why all women take their husband's names - so we can pretend to be our husband's heritage. I was born German/Irish, but now I'm Swedish. It's pretty cool.
    Making it up as you go? Please continue. It's fun to see you lose an argument and then just linger around as if you're making a point.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #373
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Her ...
    Still not getting the point and repeating your nonsense? Great. Here, I'll do it too:

    Her legal name is also Bordeau, she stopped using Bordeau and has ignored that her full name is Ludmya. Last time: This. Distances. Her. From. Her. Ethnic. Heritage. Do you not grasp that why she did it is irrelevant? The fact is that it is a decision which is based on her understanding/attachment to her ethnic identity. Likewise, Warren determining she was NA because of family lore is a sign of her attachment/understanding of her ethnic identity. Neither of those decisions call their integrity into question. This is hard for you to understand, I know.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #374
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Making it up as you go? Please continue. It's fun to see you lose an argument and then just linger around as if you're making a point.
    You're the one who keeps insisting she only took her husband's name when she got married to hide from her ethnicity, not me.

    I didn't lose any argument, dear. You never had one. You're the only person I ever knew who thinks women take their husband's last names because we run from our ethnicity. And you did mention her seeking "whiteness" in an earlier post.

    It's okay. Just own your words.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #375
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Still not getting the point and repeating your nonsense? Great. Here, I'll do it too:
    Her legal name is Love. My legal name is the name my husband had when he married me. Now it's my legal name, too. It's what's on my social security card, drivers license, tax returns, house deed, and all that. Pretty cool how it works. I'm sadly still not Swedish though. You don't get to take your husband's ethnicity, too.

    Of course, none of that has to do with Elizabeth Warren's ancestry.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #376
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Her legal name is Love. My legal name is the name my husband had when he married me. Now it's my legal name, too. It's what's on my social security card, drivers license, tax returns, house deed, and all that. Pretty cool how it works. I'm sadly still not Swedish though. You don't get to take your husband's ethnicity, too.

    Of course, none of that has to do with Elizabeth Warren's ancestry.
    Okie dokie, I'll repeat it too. The fact is that it is a decision which is based on her understanding/attachment to her ethnic identity. Likewise, Warren determining she was NA because of family lore is a sign of her attachment/understanding of her ethnic identity. Neither of those decisions call their integrity into question. This is hard for you to understand.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #377
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You're the one who keeps insisting she only took her husband's name when she got married to hide from her ethnicity, not me.
    Still making it up? Good, I don't expect any less from you when you've lost an argument.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #378
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,117

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    He just thinks she took her husband's last name when she married him so she could hide from her blackness and be more white.

    Yeah.


    Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?-mia-love-jpg


    Because clearly she thinks that people will think she is white


    If I were to get a random piece of paper signed Ludmya Bordeaux, I'd probably assume their family was either creole, or actually from the French/German Alsace/Lorraine border. Hatuey is usually a pretty cogent and organized thinker for the other side on issues, but this is the most strained, least-supported, most ridiculous argument I think I've ever seen him make.

  9. #379
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,117

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The fact is that it is a decision which is based on her understanding/attachment to her ethnic identity
    That's a fascinating claim. Can you demonstrate it?

  10. #380
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Yeah.


    Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?-mia-love-jpg


    Because clearly she thinks that people will think she is white


    If I were to get a random piece of paper signed Ludmya Bordeaux, I'd probably assume their family was either creole, or actually from the French/German Alsace/Lorraine border. Hatuey is usually a pretty cogent and organized thinker for the other side on issues, but this is the most strained, least-supported, most ridiculous argument I think I've ever seen him make.
    Hatuey has made some incredibly insightful posts on this board, and I have said as much when he does it. He's usually very astute, even when I disagree with his politics. But he's so off the rails on this it's concerning. I don't ever recall anyone saying that the reason a woman takes her husband's last name when she marries him is to distance herself from her own ethnicity.

    However, he just keeps at it. It would be funny if it wasn't downright weird.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •