View Poll Results: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not -- part of her family denies it.

    7 7.14%
  • Absolutely -- part of her family says it's true.

    1 1.02%
  • How the hell would I know?

    29 29.59%
  • I don't see why this is so unbelievable.

    7 7.14%
  • Who cares?

    64 65.31%
  • No, seriously, this is the least important issue in the history of anything ever.

    35 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 452

Thread: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

  1. #311
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I said she had no choice on her husband's last name.
    Of course she did as she was under no requirement to take it. What most women do is irrelevant. What part of this do you not get yet? That it's the effect of those decisions that matter and whatever way you slice it, they do not question that person's integrity? Are you looking for things to argue about?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #312
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    I think she embraced what she believed to be her heritage and checked a box.

    I think she is an intelligent talented woman (whether you believe in her politics or not) and she would not need such a crutch to get a job.
    Let me see, an intelligent, talented woman:

    -Not only believes she has a certain ethnic heritage based on heresay, but she believes that she has that heritage in the fullest sense (identified herself as "native american", not "of partial native american descent".
    -Apparently only self identifies as being of this background when seeking employment. Not surprisingly, truly being of this back ground can be beneficial in obtaining employment.

    and we are supposed to believe that it was all an innocent "mistake"?

    Heck, my parents and grandparents have assured me that I am an indigenous person*. I am also a native of the United States. The next time I complete a questionaire for employment, I am checking.... "Native American". If questioned, I"ll jsut say that I "misunderstood" what was being asked.

    *In fact, I am an indigenous person. My immediate tribal relatives, and myself just have not resided in our uhmm..... "traditional ancestoral tribal homeland" (eastern Europe) for uhmmm..... quite sometime.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 12-16-14 at 11:47 AM.

  3. #313
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,148

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Of course she did as she was under no requirement to take it. What most women do is irrelevant. What part of this do you not get yet? That it's the effect of those decisions that matter and whatever way you slice it, they do not question that person's integrity? Are you looking for things to argue about?
    You're absolutely right. Until you, I've never met or heard of anyone in my life questioning a woman's integrity for taking her husband's last name when she got married.

    I have heard of and seen people questioning lies on job applications before. That's a common occurrence. Of course there is no evidence that Warren intentionally lied or didn't believe she was not NA, just as there is no evidence that she benefitted from the notion of her being part NA. People question what they perceive to be intentional lies for personal gain all the time. That of course is why the example of Mia Love taking her husband's name when she married him is not relevant to the discussion of Elizabeth Warren and this situation.

    Hope your day is good.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #314
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You're absolutely right. Until you, I've never met or heard of anyone in my life questioning a woman's integrity for taking her husband's last name when she got married.
    Your strawman arguments are see through. I've never once questioned anybody's integrity for decisions concerning ethnic heritage. As a matter of fact, I've stated that those decisions have no relation to a person's integrity over and over again. Nice try?

    I have heard of and seen people questioning lies on job applications before. That's a common occurrence. Of course there is no evidence that Warren intentionally lied or didn't believe she was not NA, just as there is no evidence that she benefitted from the notion of her being part NA. People question what they perceive to be intentional lies for personal gain all the time. That of course is why the example of Mia Love taking her husband's name when she married him is not relevant to the discussion of Elizabeth Warren and this situation.
    Still nonsensical. Warren identified herself as a NA because of her family lore. Her decisions were made because of her views on ethnic heritage. In the same way, Ludmya Bordeau Love's decisions were based on her views of ethnic heritage. Do you realize why they both fall within the context of decisions made due to personal views on ethnicity yet? Or not? If you don't, admit you don't and move on.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #315
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    If she's proven part Native American and wants to incorporate that into her ethnic heritage/identity then that's not my business to say she can't. It could be purely for political reasons but if she's part Native American she can identify how she pleases.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #316
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    If she's proven part Native American and wants to incorporate that into her ethnic heritage/identity then that's not my business to say she can't. It could be purely for political reasons but if she's part Native American she can identify how she pleases.
    Agreed, with exception to the "if she's proven..." bit. If I were her, I would take a DNA test, but for purely personal reasons and not in some misguided attempt to politically appease my detractors who'll hate me regardless of any decision I make (because it's fairly obvious from this thread that her detractors don't really give a crap about whether or not she's Native American). It is one thing to believe what my grandparents tell me, but if pushed to provide documentation and am unable to do so, I would out of personal curiosity want to find out the truth behind my lineage. However, my opinion should in no way be mistaken with any demand to satisfy anybody else's curiosity as it's none of their business.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 12-16-14 at 12:40 PM.

  7. #317
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,148

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your strawman arguments are see through. I've never once questioned anybody's integrity for decisions concerning ethnic heritage. As a matter of fact, I've stated that those decisions have no relation to a person's integrity over and over again. Nice try?



    Still nonsensical. Warren identified herself as a NA because of her family lore. Her decisions were made because of her views on ethnic heritage. In the same way, Ludmya Bordeau Love's decisions were based on her views of ethnic heritage. Do you realize why they both fall within the context of decisions made due to personal views on ethnicity yet? Or not? If you don't, admit you don't and move on.
    No, Mia Love changed her name because she fell in love and got married, not because of he views on her ethnicity.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #318
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,148

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Agreed, with exception to the "if she's proven..." bit. If I were her, I would take a DNA test, but for purely personal reasons and not in some misguided attempt to politically appease my detractors who'll hate me regardless of any decision I make (because it's fairly obvious from this thread that her detractors don't really give a crap about whether or not she's Native American). It is one thing to believe what my grandparents tell me, but if pushed to provide documentation and am unable to do so, I would out of personal curiosity want to find out the truth behind my lineage. However, my opinion should in no way be mistaken with any demand to satisfy anybody else's curiosity as it's none of their business.
    I'd also take the DNA test but only out of curiosity.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #319
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'd also take the DNA test but only out of curiosity.
    I did in fact take a DNA test, and found out all the "lore" was true. Not that it was particularly extraordinary (no surprise Polynesian or Mongolian was uncovered or anything, and no, I'm not a descendent of Napolean), but it was true just the same.

  10. #320
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,148

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I did in fact take a DNA test, and found out all the "lore" was true. Not that it was particularly extraordinary (no surprise Polynesian or Mongolian was uncovered or anything, and no, I'm not a descendent of Napolean), but it was true just the same.
    Interesting. What did it show was in your background?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •