View Poll Results: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not -- part of her family denies it.

    7 7.14%
  • Absolutely -- part of her family says it's true.

    1 1.02%
  • How the hell would I know?

    29 29.59%
  • I don't see why this is so unbelievable.

    7 7.14%
  • Who cares?

    64 65.31%
  • No, seriously, this is the least important issue in the history of anything ever.

    35 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 452

Thread: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

  1. #301
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,279

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Embracing heritage for personal gain or distancing oneself from heritage for personal gain. It is personal choice.

  2. #302
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Embracing heritage for personal gain or distancing oneself from heritage for personal gain. It is personal choice.
    Agreed, that's what tres hasn't understood yet. Ludmya Bordeau Love, John McCain, Piyush Jindal, Barack Hussein Obama, Elizabeth Warren they all made decisions regarding their heritage, nationalities, backgrounds etc. Whatever reasons were behind these decisions, they are normal for minorities. Elizabeth Warren believed she was a minority because her family had told her so. She wouldn't be the first person to make a decision based on family lore. Her integrity is not questionable because of those choices.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #303
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That is irrelevant to the point being made. Ludmya Bordeau Love is under no requirement to use her husband's name, or shorten Ludmya and discard Bordeau. Those were personal decisions which had the effect of distancing her from her ethnic heritage. However, they don't call her integrity into question anymore than Warren identifying with NA ancestry because of family lore. Do you not get this yet? Is this too tedious for you? I can give you books on this issue.
    No woman is under a legal requirement to take her husband's name. Most of us do it.

    Nobody is under any requirement to use a nickname. Many people do it.

    Nicknames and women using their husband's last names legally have nothing to do with what people on this thread are arguing about Elizabeth Warren.

    PS When I added my husband's Swedish last name legally when I married him, I stopped being called by my German maiden name. I'm still of German heritage. Nobody is questioning my integrity for using my husband's name because I did what most women did - just like Mia Love did. No integrity is being questioned when a woman takes her husband's name. Did your mother retain her maiden name or did she call herself "Mrs. X"? If she used your father's name, did you question her integrity?

    Have a great day.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #304
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Embracing heritage for personal gain or distancing oneself from heritage for personal gain. It is personal choice.
    Absolutely. So do you think Warren used her heritage for personal gain? That's what a lot of people seem to think happen. I haven't seen any evidence of her personally gaining from her claim of NA ancestry. Apparently the only one who gained from it was Harvard, unless there's something that hasn't been reported.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #305
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    No woman is under a legal requirement to take her husband's name. Most of us do it.
    Yes, and in Ludmya Bordeau Love's case, it had the effect of further distancing her from her ethnic origins. Again, it does not call into question her integrity. It is a personal decision which is outside of politics. Just like Elizabeth Warren believing she was NA and identifying herself as such because of family lore. I'm thinking you're not too good at this understanding concepts thing.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #306
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, and in Ludmya Bordeau Love's case, it had the effect of further distancing her from her ethnic origins. Again, it does not call into question her integrity. It is a personal decision which is outside of politics. Just like Elizabeth Warren believing she was NA and identifying herself as such because of family lore. I'm thinking you're not too good at this understanding concepts thing.
    Mia Love had no choice on her husband's last name. She did what most women do and took her husband's last name.

    But that has nothing to do with Elizabeth Warren and some people claiming she gained from her ancestry.

    Happy Tuesday!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #307
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Mia Love had no choice on her husband's last name.
    Ummm of course she did. There is no legal requirement to take a husband's name. However, whether she had a choice or not would still irrelevant. It is part of her distancing herself from her ethnic origins. However these are decisions based on a person's understanding of their racial identity. Likewise, Elizabeth Warren's decision to believe her family's claims on ethnic ancestry does not challenge her integrity either. That you continue to ignore this point is your problem. Not mine.

    Many people are under the assumption that a woman must legally change her last name to her husband's last name. This is not the case. She is free to keep her own name, hyphenate her name with her husband's name, take her husband's name, or come up with a completely different name. If the couple agrees, they can even adopt the woman's last name. As long as the name change is not done criminally or fraudulently, any of these options would constitute a legal name change. Before considering changing your name after marriage, be sure you are happy with whatever name you choose. - See more at: Changing Your Name after Marriage - FindLaw
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #308
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,279

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Absolutely. So do you think Warren used her heritage for personal gain? That's what a lot of people seem to think happen. I haven't seen any evidence of her personally gaining from her claim of NA ancestry. Apparently the only one who gained from it was Harvard, unless there's something that hasn't been reported.
    I think she embraced what she believed to be her heritage and checked a box.

    I think she is an intelligent talented woman (whether you believe in her politics or not) and she would not need such a crutch to get a job.

  9. #309
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    I think she embraced what she believed to be her heritage and checked a box.

    I think she is an intelligent talented woman (whether you believe in her politics or not) and she would not need such a crutch to get a job.
    She deserved her job. She taught bankruptcy law at Harvard and from all accounts, she is one of the best bankruptcy lawyers this country has seen. She didn't need the NA thing to get the job which is why I personally don't believe she benefitted from it. Harvard, yes...they filled a quota number.

    She's intelligent. I find her politics abhorrent. But I disagree with the people who think she intentionally used the NA thing for personal gain.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #310
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is Elizabeth Warren part Native American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ummm of course she did. There is no legal requirement to take a husband's name. However, whether she had a choice or not would still irrelevant. It is part of her distancing herself from her ethnic origins. However these are decisions based on a person's understanding of their racial identity. Likewise, Elizabeth Warren's decision to believe her family's claims on ethnic ancestry does not challenge her integrity either. That you continue to ignore this point is your problem. Not mine.
    I said she had no choice on her husband's last name. He came with it. If it was of the same ethnicity that her maiden name was, she would retain a last name with the same ethnicity. And like most women, she took her husband's name legally, which has nothing to do with ethnicity - hers or his. It's practicality, for the children, societal, and what most women do. Nobody that I'm aware of has ever questioned why a woman takes her husband's last name when they marry, or imply that it was done for racial identity purposes. And she's not white anyway, name aside.

    Have a great day!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •