View Poll Results: Should The Torture Report be Released Publicly?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 62.16%
  • No

    35 31.53%
  • Not Sure

    7 6.31%
  • Sgt Shultz: I see Nothing, Know Nothing!

    0 0%
Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 490

Thread: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

  1. #291
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    You don't see why it should be pointed out, that there will be two separate reports?

    What about not one Demo talking to anyone in the program? Do you think that is irrelevant to?
    It's SO symbolic/indicative that hyper-partisanship is ruing this country's ability to govern;
    that a freaking report by the Senate Intel Committee cannot even be agreed upon, or at least issued without rank partisanship making us all wonder what the **** really happened.

    I mean for great Buddha's sake - cannot the cream of the elected intelligence officials just not put aside politics for once and issue a well documented factual report?

    There is basic disagreement as to even the FACTS.

  2. #292
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    It's a bad idea IMO. It will serve no purpose but to anger our enemies.
    I do not think they can be any more angered....

  3. #293
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,068

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    So you'd be perfectly fine with terrorists using the exact same techniques on American troops? Even if said soldier was a member of your family? Heck it's not torture--as you say--so no big whoop, right?
    ...holding the moral high ground means walking the moral high ground. Sorry, but getting to and staying on the high ground ain't easy.

    ....then again, what do you know about the high ground? You seem satisfied in that lesser place in the Middle.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    It's SO symbolic/indicative that hyper-partisanship is ruing this country's ability to govern;
    that a freaking report by the Senate Intel Committee cannot even be agreed upon, or at least issued without rank partisanship making us all wonder what the **** really happened.

    I mean for great Buddha's sake - cannot the cream of the elected intelligence officials just not put aside politics for once and issue a well documented factual report?

    There is basic disagreement as to even the FACTS.
    Heya AT. Report is out. Looks like this will be trouble for our people overseas and our contacts.


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064072084

  5. #295
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    If you're too lazy to form rebuttals we can just call it here. Run along, boy.
    Boy? Dang, you've exceed my expectations.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    In Germany, schoolchildren are forced to learn about the atrocities they committed during WWII. In Japan, from what I understand, this is not the case - the children don't learn about things like the Rape of Nanking.

    How can we possibly learn from our mistakes, from our nation's misdeeds, if we are never made aware of what we did? Yes, there will be more violence because of the release of the report, when others see our truly dirty laundry. But that's what we get for having committed the crimes to begin with. Maybe next time, when we're faced with the choice of whether or not to torture, we'll know better because of what happened with the release of this report.

    After all, when we committed that torture, did the United States of America face any truly existential threat? I ask because when George Washington stated his opinion on torture and mistreatment of prisoners, even the possibility of a United States of America was very much in doubt:

    "Should any American soldier be so base and infamous as to injure any [prisoner]. . . I do most earnestly enjoin you to bring him to such severe and exemplary punishment as the enormity of the crime may require. Should it extend to death itself, it will not be disproportional to its guilt at such a time and in such a cause... for by such conduct they bring shame, disgrace and ruin to themselves and their country."

    -- George Washington, charge to the Northern Expeditionary Force, Sept. 14, 1775


    Yeah and I don't think Washington's thoughts included.....what is a terrorist.

    The report is out.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064072084

  7. #297
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    I'm certain that all these countries also entertain Al Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood and various other terrorist gangs.


    Move westward and accomplish what exactly?


    The fact that there are multiple terrorist gangs vying for power undermines their ability to do much damage.
    Their internecine battles will keep them weak.
    Libyan "instability" ( dueling governments - host to various AQ entities, and now ISIL in Derna) is a failed state, and so much a direct threat to Egypt, that Egypt recent sent planes in ...against another Muslim country.

    The internecine idea is valid, except the various groups are united in overthrowing anything not Sharia -
    you can see that in Syria, as well as Libya.
    Last edited by annata; 12-09-14 at 03:19 PM.

  8. #298
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,839
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Sexual threats, other CIA methods detailed in new U.S. report
    "Specific examples of brutality by CIA interrogators cited in the report include the November 2002 death from hypothermia of a detainee who had been held partially nude and chained to a concrete floor at a secret CIA prison."
    So no deaths then?
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  9. #299
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya AT. Report is out. Looks like this will be trouble for our people overseas and our contacts.


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064072084
    in terms of disclosure of personnel? I don't think sources and methods used are going to rile up Daesh/AQ anymore then they are..

    But if there are ways to trace back US ops or locals assistance, then it is dangerous

  10. #300
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Should the Report on Torture Be Released Publicly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yeah and I don't think Washington's thoughts included.....what is a terrorist.

    The report is out.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064072084
    One man's terrorist is another man's patriot. At the time, the Brits probably thought that Washington et al were that time's equivalent of a terrorist. Just because a guy doesn't wear a uniform doesn't mean he's not a soldier - in fact, if you'll look throughout history, it was often only the elite or the well-to-do who wore uniforms or suits of armor...and the poorest soldiers wore whatever they could get their hands on.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •