View Poll Results: Is America the greatest country on earth?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 26.87%
  • No

    147 73.13%
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 389

Thread: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

  1. #271
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,994

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    You're an insane person if you think landing on a comet moving 135,000 kilometers per hour while at 310 million miles away requires just "doing a little math".

    Agreed that the moon landing in '69 was crazy as well, but I don't think you want to short sell this achievement.
    X (go 135,000 mph)

    +

    y (go same direction as comet)

    =

    A (land on comet, easy)

    Done. What's next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #272
    User avatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:55 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    133

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    I'm going to vote yes, but I'm tribal. From my viewpoint I would rather be here than in any other country. I might also vote no at times because we have so far to go to really be great. The bar is set far too low.

  3. #273
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    I think any unbiased person who read your last post about this would very much believe that you were implying that the US automakers can not build a car as good as Europeans. But if that is not what you meant than so be it.
    If you implying that I am telling untruths, then I must take exception. Otherwise, I apologise for expressing myself inefficiently.

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    The reason that US car companies have someone outside of the US design the cars for those markets is simply good economics and business.
    I agree, and part of that reason is the fact that people outside the US have more experience with what those populations value in a vehicle.

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    While I am glad that your family has had good luck with them that means little in the grand scheme of things.
    Of course it doesn't, I'm not even quite sure why I mentioned it. But I am surprised at the disparity between consumer reports in the USA, and those elsewhere. None of the European consumer reports deem Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, or any of the Volkswagen brands unreliable (British Fords and Vauxhalls are another matter). Comparisons between European brands and US ones are not readily available in Europe simply because we do not buy American cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    As to the ZR1 several things about that. First things like ride and impression of build quality is very very subjective. For instance some folks like a very nice supple ride others prefer a more firm precise ride. The same goes with build quality.
    You may have a point - it may just be a matter of standards. But these evaluations are not made by jumping in and taking a quick ride around the block. Some of these road testers are very experienced professional people who have, of necessity, developed a level of objectivity. Build quality is not judged by the sound a door makes alone. Shut lines are inspected, fit and finish of appointments, the quality of switchgear and the materials used, whilst noise, vibration, and harshness, are all components of the final judgement.

    Here is a synopsis of WhatCar's opinion on the Z1.

    For: The iconic American muscle car has presence in spaces, plus a great big V8 engine. It comes with a decent amount of luxury kit as standard, and is better to drive than the cheaper models.

    Against: The ZO6 still falls some way short of the best performance cars in most dynamic areas. Build quality is just as disappointing, and it’ll cost you a bomb to buy and run.

    Rating: 1 star out of 5

    One of the better versions of the Corvette, but countless other performance cars give you more ability for similar money.
    Chevrolet Corvette 6 2 V8 Zr1 2dr Review | What Car?

    I think a salient point here is that the Z1 Corvette costs over 120,000 Pounds in the UK - more than a hand built Aston Martin DB9, and you can buy two Jaguar F-Types, with much better finish and build quality, and have some cash left over for that money. So you see, it is a matter of horses for courses, much the same thing which militates against European cars in the US, does so against the more expensive US cars in Europe.

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    I never once said that those who buy cars such as BMWs or MBs do so with zero regard for quality. It does play a part just like perceived quality which is often not actual quality. But status and exclusivity play at least as big a part if not more with many of those targeted consumers. If quality was the deciding factor than they would be buying Toyotas or Hondas or even Buicks over BMWs and MB but those are not even people in the same market. There are many wealthy customers out there who would not buy an American made car no matter what because it simply does not carry the same prestige that pulling up in a M5 does.
    LOL, fair comment, but I think we will be arguing this all year if we persist in imposing our respective trans-Atlantic views upon each other. Much depends upon how one defines quality, and anyone who considers a Toyota the equivalent of a Mercedes Benz in that respect, is not going to be swayed by anything I might write. Peace!
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  4. #274
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    If you implying that I am telling untruths, then I must take exception. Otherwise, I apologise for expressing myself inefficiently.



    I agree, and part of that reason is the fact that people outside the US have more experience with what those populations value in a vehicle.



    Of course it doesn't, I'm not even quite sure why I mentioned it. But I am surprised at the disparity between consumer reports in the USA, and those elsewhere. None of the European consumer reports deem Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, or any of the Volkswagen brands unreliable (British Fords and Vauxhalls are another matter). Comparisons between European brands and US ones are not readily available in Europe simply because we do not buy American cars.



    You may have a point - it may just be a matter of standards. But these evaluations are not made by jumping in and taking a quick ride around the block. Some of these road testers are very experienced professional people who have, of necessity, developed a level of objectivity. Build quality is not judged by the sound a door makes alone. Shut lines are inspected, fit and finish of appointments, the quality of switchgear and the materials used, whilst noise, vibration, and harshness, are all components of the final judgement.


    I think a salient point here is that the Z1 Corvette costs over 120,000 Pounds in the UK - more than a hand built Aston Martin DB9, and you can buy two Jaguar F-Types, with much better finish and build quality, and have some cash left over for that money. So you see, it is a matter of horses for courses, much the same thing which militates against European cars in the US, does so against the more expensive US cars in Europe.



    LOL, fair comment, but I think we will be arguing this all year if we persist in imposing our respective trans-Atlantic views upon each other. Much depends upon how one defines quality, and anyone who considers a Toyota the equivalent of a Mercedes Benz in that respect, is not going to be swayed by anything I might write. Peace!
    First of all. Let me say my intent was never meant to imply that you were lying at all. Probably just a misinterpretation because if you read the part of your post that says "LOL, and "We could do it if we wanted to - but we are happy to eschew an enormous world-wide market, so we will continue producing mediocre, gas-guzzling and cumbersome vehicles" I and many other that would read that it implies that you think US car companies couldn't do it. Not lying at all just a different opinion.

    It is not that BMWs and MB are not reliable cars just that they are not as reliable cars as some other brands. The fact is that outside of a few lemons that get made by every manufacturer pretty much all modern cars have very good reliability. And to be fair some of that is due to the more complicated nature of those cars. The more systems and accessories that a car has the more there is to break. A fact of life. If your car doesn't have AC than your AC will never break.

    Here in the US the DB9 costs about 80000 more but either way the ZR1 also has 638 horsepower compared to 456 of the AM, It has a top speed of 205 vs 186 (which if you know much about what it takes to go fast that number is a ton of difference), and pretty much embarrasses the DB9 on the track. So While yes the DB9 does have better overall finish and luxury items the Vette destroys it in all performance categories. So how can you say one is better than the other. It all depends on what you are looking for. I am not saying one is better than the other just different cars.

    I agree that a Toyota is not the equal of a MB with that said if you are looking for the most reliable you are not buying from Europe. It is all what you are looking for. And the majority of the US market while they would love to have a car with all the features and performance of a BMW they simply are not willing to pay that much. The US car companies know this and they tailor the cars to what the customer is willing to pay.

    It really comes down to the fact that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Ford could very easily build a car that is identical to a BMW but with it would come the BMW price. Most Americans are just not willing to pay that much. The same goes for the Vette. Chevy could very easily increase the fit and finish of the the car but then they would either have to drastically reduce its performance or double its price. And lets be realistic no one is buying a Chevy that costs 200000. Why would you when you could buy a Lambo and all the status that comes with it. Even if the two cars were exactly the same in every meaningful way the Lambo or Ferrari still has status edge. Mainly because of how rare they are.
    It has nothing to do with the quality of engineers that work at either company and Chevy proves that by dominating in the major racing venues they compete in. Go look up the track record of the C5R or C6R sometime.
    Last edited by braindrain; 12-11-14 at 10:09 PM.
    President Franklin Roosevelt eulogized a fallen American Soldier by saying, “He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die [that] freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it he lives--in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

  5. #275
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    No jobs
    No rights on the job. (As the work for the employer for free SCOTUS decision just stated-direct slavery is not BACK in USA)
    no healthcare
    No homes
    no freedom
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  6. #276
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    My thoughts: Yes, this is the greatest nation on earth. Below are some of the reasons....

    - We're the richest. We have more money than any other nation on earth and it ain't close.
    - We're the smartest. We have something like over half of the world's Nobel Prize winners. Our universities are the top ranked in the world.
    - We're the most industrial. Modern industry as you know it was invented and perfected in the US of A.
    - We kick ass. Most powerful military in the history of human civilization relative to our contemporaries
    - We're not sissies - looking at you, France
    - We innovate. We invented pretty much everything in existence in the modern world, and that trend is continuing.
    - We sent a man to the moon for christ's sake. That was 50 years ago. No other nation has yet to be able to do it, even today.
    - We don't have stupid royalty or aristocracies. America is the only country on earth where going rags to riches is truly seen as possible.
    - We dominate the global political scene. If America wants something done, such as a treaty, it gets done.
    - Other nations need us more than we need them.
    - We utterly dominate popular culture and the arts - Hollywood baby. ALL the movies that seen by a broad audience are American. We invented rock and roll, the blues, rap, hip hop, and all the modern media. We invented television, and pretty much everything that goes on it.


    I could go on, but that's a start.
    richest is WRONG. As falling wages, and millions of homeless prove.
    Smartest. - If we were that smart, we would not tolerate traitors in DC.
    Most industrial? LMAO
    Is America the greatest nation on earth?-container-ship-jpgIs America the greatest nation on earth?-closed-factory-jpg
    Looked at USA "industry lately?
    Military - that does nothing, but leech off USA, and create TRILLIONS in Debt.
    There are 2 things in the world. My problem, and THEIR PROBLEM. Learn the difference.
    No invention lately. Just eliminated JOBS.
    Moon? Yes AND? How about healthcare for all?
    Royalty is the hereditary Bush Family. As the college entrance "pass" for Bush 2 shows. Also hereditary jobs in the corrupt unions.
    if we dominate? Then why cant we provide the basics for our people?
    Is America the greatest nation on earth?-101026_nickelsville-jpg
    So that's why the USA is being left behind with our stupid English units we climg too. And we have no manufacturing base.
    Your **** culture is dying. F1 beats any USA car any day.
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  7. #277
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,367

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Greatest nation on Earth?


    Malta
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  8. #278
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What's the latest and greatest technology today? Computers and the internet? Both American inventions, and America dominates both industries. We always have been and always will be leading the pack when it comes to driving the direction of technology.
    Then show us all the computer factory in USA...................LMAO.
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  9. #279
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    greatest nation on earth?


    Malta
    lol !!

  10. #280
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,367

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    lol !!
    Ever seen their women?

    I rest my case.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •