View Poll Results: Is America the greatest country on earth?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 26.87%
  • No

    147 73.13%
Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 389

Thread: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Who cares, what difference does it make?

    Fill us in.
    Are you ashamed?

  2. #222
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is seen as nearly axiomatic in some circles. In others, it's seen as misguided arrogance.

    I want to know whether the maxim rings true with you, and your reasoning.


    Focus specifically on these areas, if at all possible...... 1.) Freedom 2.) Diversity 3.) Opportunity
    I said no. I prefer to think of countries like people. There are leaders. The U.S. is certainly a leader. There are exceptional people. The U.S. is certainly that.

    But every country has something unique to offer to the world. We are all, together, one earth. We are more interconnected than ever before. We move from country to country, travel extensively, trade, have relatives in different countries.

    The U.S. is one of the greatest countries on earth. It is THE greatest, if you look at only certain areas. But if you look at other areas, other countries would be the greatest.

    The U.S. is not the greatest nation, for example, as far as health care goes (either receiving it, or the cost of it), or as far as education goes, or as far as the health of its citizens. But it has the greatest military, and it offers wonderful opportunities to its citizens (other countries have now passed up the US in ability for the average citizen to move up).

    So it's not black and white to me. And I'm not sure it's that meaningful to declare one country or another "the greatest." Remember that the Roman Empire was "the greatest" at one time, and lasted many more centuries than the U.S. has. So was Great Britain (or so Great Britain thought). So was France (or so France thought). So was Germany (or so Germany thought).

    Humility is important, I think. But recognizing the leadership role is important, since it imposes a duty on the U.S. to do the right thing, when called upon, as a leader in the world.
    Last edited by JumpinJack; 12-09-14 at 06:34 PM.
    ________________________________

  3. #223
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is seen as nearly axiomatic in some circles. In others, it's seen as misguided arrogance.

    I want to know whether the maxim rings true with you, and your reasoning.


    Focus specifically on these areas, if at all possible...... 1.) Freedom 2.) Diversity 3.) Opportunity
    During my lifetime I have visited many countries and have not found one that could compare with ours...Not only is it the greatest country in the world but in history.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  4. #224
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Apart for the last paragraph, which is merely a statement of personal preference, I would not disagree with any of that. But the fact that wealthy Americans buy European designed and engineered cars as a matter of preference, whereas virtually no Europeans would consider buying an American designed and engineered automobile, may be considered fairly conclusive evidence of the superiority of the European product.

    I accept the fact that American cars are designed for local conditions and preferences, but so is the European and Japanese product. The target demographic does not alter the relative quality and utility of the product.

    And bear in mind that my comments were in relation to the risible claim that the internal combustion engine, as we know it, is an American invention.
    The fact that a certain demographic likes a specific type of product has absolutely zero bearing on if that product is any good or not. The main reason that wealthy folks in America buy European cars is because they are expensive and this a status symbol. Nothing more.
    The US automakers could very easily build a car that matched every single capability of a European car but it would still not have that status attached to it as a euro car does.
    Your argument is not a good one.

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is seen as nearly axiomatic in some circles. In others, it's seen as misguided arrogance.

    I want to know whether the maxim rings true with you, and your reasoning.


    Focus specifically on these areas, if at all possible...... 1.) Freedom 2.) Diversity 3.) Opportunity
    Ask us 10 years ago.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    - We don't have stupid royalty or aristocracies. America is the only country on earth where going rags to riches is truly seen as possible.
    Get out of your time machine. Nobody feels that way anymore.

  7. #227
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Its interesting to see how different National cultures shape the vehicles they drive

    Australians drive around those funky half trucks called " Utes "

    That style doesn't appeal to me personally ( or anyone I know and have ever met ) but Australians apparently love them.
    I loathe them in the aesthetic sense (and they also attract a certain 'bogan' demographic,) but I expect utilities have their uses. As a choice for purely personal transport (which is the case in the majority of owners,) I think they suck. But Australians appear to have had a taste for unsophisticated, American-inspired, vehicles since the advent of the 'Australian' car - the Holden (which was a down-sized Chevrolet of incredibly basic design, manufactured at Fisherman's Bend in Victoria).

    Happily, apart from the hardship of lost jobs, GM has found it cannot make the obscene amount of profit it once did, and has pulled the plug on production (as has Ford with its locally produced Falcon). The archetypical Aussie car is no more in a couple of years (and fewer and fewer Australians buy those cumbersome, inefficient dinosaurs now, anyway.)
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  8. #228
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    The fact that a certain demographic likes a specific type of product has absolutely zero bearing on if that product is any good or not. The main reason that wealthy folks in America buy European cars is because they are expensive and this a status symbol. Nothing more.
    The US automakers could very easily build a car that matched every single capability of a European car but it would still not have that status attached to it as a euro car does.
    Your argument is not a good one.
    LOL, and "We could do it if we wanted to - but we are happy to eschew an enormous world-wide market, so we will continue producing mediocre, gas-guzzling and cumbersome vehicles?" is a good argument? Like commercial organisations think that way?

    And do you not think that automotive status is not dictated by price alone. In Australia, a top of the range Lexus sells for slightly more than a five series BMW or a Mercedes E-class. The sales of said Lexus are miniscule compared to those of BMW and Mercedes. Why, because while it is carefully made, reasonably reliable, and well-equipped with creature comforts, it has less dynamic magic than a Toyota Camry - and wealthy Australians stay away in droves. Prestige is gained by what a vehicle does, not what it costs, or how many things that open and shut it offers. Anyone who ascribes prestige by monetary cost is a parvenu.

    If GM or Ford produced a car that bettered the European/Japanese opposition (in every price range) do you not think they would command a better share of the market across the world? It is not simply expensive American designed and manufactured cars which are shunned worldwide, they all are, and it is not simply because they are American. American owned motor manufacturers, such as Ford (GB) and Opel in Germany, produce vehicles which more than compete with the Japanese, Koreans, and other Europeans in the low to medium price ranges. But these are designed and produced by Europeans, who draw upon their engineering heritage.

    But look, this is not an indictment of the USA. Some societies do some things better than others, and we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I think your society does enough important things well not to have to depend upon fantasies of being pre-eminent in all things. And I reiterate that the only reason I addressed this matter was the claim by some unrealistically patriotic soul, that the the internal combustion engine was invented in the USA.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  9. #229
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Are you ashamed?


    Are you nosy about other people's private business?

    When you stick your nose where it doesn't belong, sometimes it gets smacked.

  10. #230
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,877

    Re: Is America the greatest nation on earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You're just wrong there. The computer was not invented by Americans
    I feel like you're playing a little game here... It's really cool knowing the history and diversity of inventors around the world, but you also shouldn't take away from how massively the US had it's place in developing/perfecting/producing every one of those inventions over everyone else...

    give credit it's due.... but don't pretend that the US doesn't beat every other country in this aspect completely out of the water.

Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •