View Poll Results: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for violent and or lethal force if the non-violent suspect is not cooperating.

    2 4.76%
  • Yes for violent force if the non-violent suspect is not cooperating.

    5 11.90%
  • No regardless if the non-violent suspect is or isn't cooperating.

    29 69.05%
  • Other

    4 9.52%
  • Maybe/I do not know.

    2 4.76%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

  1. #41
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    No, pretty much unconditionally.

    The overall decline in the quality of service in this country hasn't left police departments unaffected. Being a cop isn't a right.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Violent and lethal are on the same slippery slope. Punching a guy can be lethal.
    So it can be, but the possibility of a violent and untimely death is supposed to be part of the occupation. Police work is something you have to apply to do.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 12-11-14 at 12:36 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #42
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Let's recognize police violence for what it is. It is a government agent, executing a citizen, without due process. Try to think of all the circumstances in which you're okay with that. It had better be a short list and "being belligerent to a government agent", or "resisting a government agent" really oughtn't to be on it.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Let's recognize police violence for what it is. It is a government agent, executing a citizen, without due process.
    No it is not.
    It is an Officer defending their self just as any citizen is allowed.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #44
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,190

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    If there is a lethal threat, then a lethal option should be available.

    For a non-lethal but decidedly violent threat, there are options available such as a baton, a bean-bag round, or a taser.

    Non-lethal/non-violent situations should never witness the methods mentioned above.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

    Repeal and Replace Trump.

  5. #45
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I understand your view. Everyone should just go to jail saying nothing. Maybe, in weeks, months or a year it might be decided you shouldn't have ever been in jail. You view of being totally submissive to everyone about everything - really best never go outside to begin with - probably is safest.

    If everyone would just agree they should go to jail there would be no problem... except for those instances where police shoot, beat or beat to death someone anyway.
    Why do so many insist on these ridiculously exaggerated arguments?

    You will not win against cops fighting them on the street. Even if you manage to escape, you have now given them at least one legitimate thing to charge you with. In many cases, where the person really hasn't done anything wrong, simply cooperating ends the encounter with the officers. No cuffs, no jail, no charges. And then many more Might still end in you being cuffed and or arrested, but no charges. This isn't even included in our conviction rate since that only includes charges filed to convictions made.

    It does not help your argument at all to try to turn mine into some stupid argument I never made.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    When it is blatant, we do. But in many cases it becomes a double edged sword. It leads to cops questioning their level of force to an extent that puts them and possibly the public at risk when someone isn't subdued that should have been because the officer is more worried about how much force is "proper" and not going to potentially get them brought up on charges of murder because someone died due to a combination of circumstances that included their use of force.
    A LOT of this starts when the cop first opens his mouth nowadays. The bullyboy demeanor. Especially if the "suspect" in question didn't do anything or anything serious. Because that demeanor is taught is some forces. They are trained to dominate at all times. And most people don't like to be treated that way.

    It you atent allowed to not like the way cops treat you. Its "yes sir" or you're in trouble. Even if the cop is treating you like a child molester for some minor offense. Talking to you in a way THEY wouldn't tolerate.

    And its natural to "resist" when some cop starts grabbing you to handcuff you for a traffic stop or some other infraction. Pulling away. Jail is serious. Frightening. Overwhelming. They know this, or should. Bit they don't or don't care.

    I blame all this on the drug war. It caused this escalation. Made cops jobs more dangerous and the current cop culture was born out of this.

    It needs to be addressed. It sucks to have to teach male kids I know that cops are a threat to their lives. That normal adolescent defiance can lead to getting shot. But that's how it is now.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #47
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Quote Originally Posted by twixie1 View Post
    At the end of the day...does a courtroom ever take the defendants side..Is not a cop's word ''bible''
    I was given a ticket for not doing anything wrong and took it to court.

    The cop didn't show and I won.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    suffolk. england
    Last Seen
    12-14-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    345

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    I was given a ticket for not doing anything wrong and took it to court.

    The cop didn't show and I won.
    Do you think you would have won if he had turned up?

  9. #49
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Quote Originally Posted by twixie1 View Post
    Do you think you would have won if he had turned up?
    Yep. I was prepared with photo evidence and everything. He charged me with a traffic violation that could not have possibly happened at that location.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    suffolk. england
    Last Seen
    12-14-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    345

    Re: Should violent and or lethal force be allowed in detaining a non-violent suspect?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Yep. I was prepared with photo evidence and everything. He charged me with a traffic violation that could not have possibly happened at that location.
    Clever man!!..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •