View Poll Results: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's critically important.

    4 18.18%
  • Yes, but only marginally important.

    2 9.09%
  • I don't want a politician to be an average person.

    0 0%
  • Meh. A factor, but a lesser factor.

    4 18.18%
  • No, not really important at all.

    12 54.55%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    We'd all really be much better off if our representatives met a few times a year, or in emergency session, to discuss the protection of our lives, liberty and property and little else. Then they could go back to their regular jobs. Full time representatives have too much time to make decisions about which they have no Constitutional authority. They need to stay out of our business.


    Add to that the regulators who create law out of caprice should all be taken out back and whipped and then hanged and then imprisoned for life and we might have a less oppressive system of vindictive controls.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Quote Originally Posted by twixie1 View Post
    Most people don't know most things most of the time.

    I think most men probably don't know the price of milk.

    People mainly only remember things like this if they are struggling with money - and politicians are not....
    In an indirect way, you hit upon the point of the question... probably without even realizing it.

    They don't know what's going on in the world in which they are legislating. And that's the point, they have more of a need and responsibility to know more so than an average citizen. You or I may not know what's going on in our markets, and that's not a big deal because our lack of knowledge affects only ourselves, but it is imperative that those who are legislating the markets know.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,646

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    There are other barometers for measuring the public's life. Any given metric would be difficult to suggest would be the primary one to look at. In principle, the more ones advisors let you know about how one thing interacts with the average (or targeted group's) life the better.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #24
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,646

    Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    No, they should be required to read everything they vote on.
    Dear God, why? This has always struck me as one of the single dumbest ideas for government possible.

    We ask them to campaign, we ask them to have a platform, we ask them to them to vote, we ask them to visit their constituents in any given region of the country, we ask them to make public addresses, we ask them to be part of committees, and now you want them to read everything they vote on.

    We don't elect superhumans to office, people.

    There isn't enough time in the day.

    They lean on trusted colleagues for advice on what to do with their vote, they get staffers to draft legislation, they seek input from interest groups impacted by any legislation or regulation.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 12-06-14 at 06:08 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?
    no. they should be well read on the history of empires, however. most don't seem to be.

  6. #26
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Who buys milk by the pint? I have no idea how much it is.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  7. #27
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    This thread has proven something to me. The fact that so many people got caught up in the particular unit of measure, to the point that they were seemingly completely incapable of grasping the concept, it's no wonder that the rest of the world perceives the average American voter as a bunch of fricken dolts. Because, apparently, so many are. In the future if someone says Americans are idiots and morons, I'll be tempted to hang my head in shame and say, "Yeah, I know."

    The article was written in Britain, so of course they're going to use a unit of measure common to them. So what? Does that change the concept of a politician being in touch with the everyday issues of their constituents? No, it does not. The article also mentions Bush I's infamous milk pricing episode, and specifies gallons in that part. They (the Brits) didn't seem to have an issue with differing units of measure in the same article. Are we really this effing stupid that we can't consider the concept or point of a discussion without getting wrapped up in meaningless minutiae? Oh, look, an effing squirrel.

    If this thread is an example of the intellectual capacity of the average American, then it makes perfect sense why we have the dysfunctional government that we do.

    God help us.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This thread has proven something to me. The fact that so many people got caught up in the particular unit of measure, to the point that they were seemingly completely incapable of grasping the concept, it's no wonder that the rest of the world perceives the average American voter as a bunch of fricken dolts. Because, apparently, so many are. In the future if someone says Americans are idiots and morons, I'll be tempted to hang my head in shame and say, "Yeah, I know."

    The article was written in Britain, so of course they're going to use a unit of measure common to them. So what? Does that change the concept of a politician being in touch with the everyday issues of their constituents? No, it does not. The article also mentions Bush I's infamous milk pricing episode, and specifies gallons in that part. They (the Brits) didn't seem to have an issue with differing units of measure in the same article. Are we really this effing stupid that we can't consider the concept or point of a discussion without getting wrapped up in meaningless minutiae? Oh, look, an effing squirrel.

    If this thread is an example of the intellectual capacity of the average American, then it makes perfect sense why we have the dysfunctional government that we do.

    God help us.
    Remember, this is a nation where Kim Kardashian posing naked is bigger news than a probe landing on a comet for the first time in human history.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #29
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,970

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This thread has proven something to me. The fact that so many people got caught up in the particular unit of measure, to the point that they were seemingly completely incapable of grasping the concept, it's no wonder that the rest of the world perceives the average American voter as a bunch of fricken dolts. Because, apparently, so many are. In the future if someone says Americans are idiots and morons, I'll be tempted to hang my head in shame and say, "Yeah, I know."

    The article was written in Britain, so of course they're going to use a unit of measure common to them. So what? Does that change the concept of a politician being in touch with the everyday issues of their constituents? No, it does not. The article also mentions Bush I's infamous milk pricing episode, and specifies gallons in that part. They (the Brits) didn't seem to have an issue with differing units of measure in the same article. Are we really this effing stupid that we can't consider the concept or point of a discussion without getting wrapped up in meaningless minutiae? Oh, look, an effing squirrel.

    If this thread is an example of the intellectual capacity of the average American, then it makes perfect sense why we have the dysfunctional government that we do.

    God help us.
    Er...I took a "pint of milk" to be a metaphor for the cost of living for the average American. I had no idea we were actually discussing a literal pint of milk.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Should politicians know the price of a pint of milk?

    Wow, i just binged watched the first 2 seasons of Alpha House- great show- and this was something they made fun of. One of the main characters was in a debate against Penn Jillette and asked him this question. Penn then turned the pint of milk into a puppy, I believe.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •