View Poll Results: Gentrification?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • On balance I think that gentrification is a good thing.

    13 72.22%
  • On balance I think that gentrification is a bad thing.

    5 27.78%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Gentrification question.

  1. #1
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Gentrification question.

    Gentrification seems to be something of a controversial issue these days. On balance, do you think that gentrification is a good thing or a bad thing?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #2
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,971

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Gentrification seems to be something of a controversial issue these days. On balance, do you think that gentrification is a good thing or a bad thing?
    What's the argument against it, exactly? The examples of gentrification I've personally witnessed have seen horrible, crime-ridden neighborhoods transformed into safe, habitable ones.

  3. #3
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What's the argument against it, exactly? The examples of gentrification I've personally witnessed have seen horrible, crime-ridden neighborhoods transformed into safe, habitable ones.
    I agree. However, the argument against it is that it prices the poor and middle class out of urban working class neighborhoods.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #4
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Gentrification seems to be something of a controversial issue these days. On balance, do you think that gentrification is a good thing or a bad thing?
    I would think that this is something that Detroit would love to see.

  5. #5
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,971

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I agree. However, the argument against it is that it prices the poor and middle class out of urban working class neighborhoods.
    Again, what I've seen deals specifically with neighborhoods that are the equivalent of demilitarized zones, although in all fairness there is another aspect to it:

    1. Awful, crime-ridden neighborhood, cop cars and police helicopters are a common feature of the area
    2. Artists move in for that cheap, large studio space.
    3. In time, artists make the location hip.
    4. Nicer restaurants and stores move in to cater to that crowd.
    5. Rich investors, now attracted to the area, build expensive apartment complexes, stores, boutiques.
    6. Artists are driven out and the cycle continues.

    But if the neighborhood is simply poor, and isn't necessarily marked by boarded up windows and crack houses, then it's kind of sad for those people to be pushed out for the crime of not being rich.

  6. #6
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Again, what I've seen deals specifically with neighborhoods that are the equivalent of demilitarized zones, although in all fairness there is another aspect to it:

    1. Awful, crime-ridden neighborhood, cop cars and police helicopters are a common feature of the area
    2. Artists move in for that cheap, large studio space.
    3. In time, artists make the location hip.
    4. Nicer restaurants and stores move in to cater to that crowd.
    5. Rich investors, now attracted to the area, build expensive apartment complexes, stores, boutiques.
    6. Artists are driven out and the cycle continues.
    That is generally how it goes. I still think its a net positive overall.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #7
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Gentrification seems to be something of a controversial issue these days. On balance, do you think that gentrification is a good thing or a bad thing?
    Excellent thing. Sooner-the-better.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #8
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    6. Artists are driven out and the cycle continues.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I agree. However, the argument against it is that it prices the poor and middle class out of urban working class neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Excellent thing. Sooner-the-better.
    Gran who's owned the home since 1964, suddenly sees her home's property value triple because of its location and suddenly she's looking at paying double the property taxes on a limited income.

    Eventually forcing her to lose her home.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  9. #9
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,971

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is generally how it goes. I still think its a net positive overall.
    See edit. But generally speaking I don't see a downside to it.

  10. #10
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,971

    Re: Gentrification question.

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Gran who's owned the home since 1964, suddenly sees her home's property value triple because of its location and suddenly she's looking at paying double the property taxes on a limited income.

    Eventually forcing her to lose her home.
    See my edit as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •