View Poll Results: Should Michael Brown's Step Father be prosecuted

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he openly called a crowd to commit arson - and they did

    32 65.31%
  • No, free speech

    12 24.49%
  • Only if it proven people who heard this then did commit arson

    1 2.04%
  • I'm undecided

    3 6.12%
  • Leave it up to a grand jury to decide

    1 2.04%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 133

Thread: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

  1. #101
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Kind of like asking... did the person who told the other person to assassinate someone, pull the trigger... Well if they dident pull the trigger but simply ordered the assassination, they should not be held accountable.
    Order implies authority, which the person didn't have. Now you're starting to reach. Not saying what he did was right, but you're hunting too deep for relevance. We'll see what the authorities do with it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #102
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I would... They have been complaining about the right to be equal... then they should be treated equally. If they incite a riot, they should be convicted of that crime as anyone else would be.
    Who is they, and who said anyone else would be convicted any differently?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #103
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Order implies authority, which the person didn't have. Now you're starting to reach. Not saying what he did was right, but you're hunting too deep for relevance. We'll see what the authorities do with it.
    they wont do anything.. because the belief in this country is that we don't want to anger people who are acidic to our society because they will create problems... This has been our motto since the Vietnam war, and that is why we will be a 2nd class country going into this century.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  4. #104
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    they wont do anything.. because the belief in this country is that we don't want to anger people who are acidic to our society because they will create problems... This has been our motto since the Vietnam war, and that is why we will be a 2nd class country going into this century.
    That may be a reason, but not the main reason in my opinion.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #105
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Who is they, and who said anyone else would be convicted any differently?
    When Manson told his followers to kill in order to start a racial war, he was convicted of those killings even though he never pulled the trigger or stabbed anyone.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Did he actually light a fire?
    He doesn't have to light the fire to be an accessory before the fact.

    Incitement

    Meaning of Incitement

    Incitement to commit a crime is a common law misdemeanour, even though the crime be not committed. If the crime be actually committed, the person inciting is an accessory before the fact in the case of felony, and equally guilty, in the case of treason or misdemeanour, with the person who commits the crime
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #107
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What other laws should be ignored if their enforcement may rile up the small percentage of criminals in the area? If it's OK not to enforce the law as written then is the reverse true? Should the state have skipped the GJ and simply charged, and jailed, Wilson (regardless of having sufficient evidence to convict) just to calm things down?

    What you propose seems to be the exact opposite of equal protection of the law and a return to mob rule. The problem, of course, is that you seem to wish to appease a violent minority (those prone to riot, loot and burn) to protect society rather than apply the law as written.
    It's not the same. You're proposing that we charge Brown's Father, when the rioting has already ceased, thus restarting the violence. At some point you have to decide if it's really worth it to push an issue. Really you have to think of it more like negotiations in war, trying to come to a peace agreement then delivering "justice". Besides, would it be Justice if more people died just because you felt like you had to make a martyr out of Brown's father?

  8. #108
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    1: Don't care that he "apologized". That doesn't bring back the businesses that were burned down due to his incitement to violent actions. Nor does it bring back the life that was taken that night either. Something which I've noticed very little news coverage on.

    2: As for the rioters...I really have no sympathy for them. There are ways to deal with them. Use em.
    Can you really say for a fact that this father is the SOLE cause for the riots? Because if not, then really, you'd just be arresting someone who might of had nothing to do with the loss of life you mentioned (or businesses) and have only managed to inflame the situation further. (I didn't know this by the way, thanks for telling me, I'd appreciate a link as well if you have one).

  9. #109
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    It may be an easy olive branch to offer since it wasn't your entire life's work in your business burned down leading to your financial ruin.

    I am interested to see if anyone will say he should be arrested and put on trial so a jury should decide - like so many claim should have been done with Wilson.

    It is an interesting question, though. In a way, it is the Charles Manson issue. If you don't commit the crime, but tell others to do it and they do, are you part of it?
    You nailed it right here Joko! If I'm a business owner in Ferguson I'm speaking to an attorney right now to see about possible civil action against this clown.

  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Michael Brown's Step father be prosecuted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Can you really say for a fact that this father is the SOLE cause for the riots? Because if not, then really, you'd just be arresting someone who might of had nothing to do with the loss of life you mentioned (or businesses) and have only managed to inflame the situation further. (I didn't know this by the way, thanks for telling me, I'd appreciate a link as well if you have one).
    Can you say for a fact that he's not the cause of them buildings being burned down considering what he said before the burning commenced? "Maybe's" and "if's" don't mean a thing. We can only go by what did happen. Fact is that he said what he did and that same night buildings got burned down. He is as much to blame as those that lit the fires.

    Here's the link for ya that you requested. Man found dead amid Ferguson riots had bullet in head, accelerant on body:

    Now I must admit, there is no guarantee that this kid died due to the riots. It may have just been someone taking advantage of the riots to commit a murder. Won't know for sure any time soon I'd imagine....if ever.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •