View Poll Results: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    14 25.00%
  • No.

    30 53.57%
  • I don't know...

    12 21.43%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 80

Thread: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

  1. #41
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    the body was found 150 feet from the vehicle.
    No, I believe the body was found closer to the vehicle.

    Edit: You're correct - I believe I'd heard the number 35 but that may have been an initial estimate in yards, not feet.

    My point was that there was a blood trail away from the vehicle that went further away from the vehicle than where the body was found, meaning that Brown went further away from the vehicle and then came back towards the vehicle.
    Last edited by CanadaJohn; 12-02-14 at 06:19 PM.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #42
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,944

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    He provided the grand jury with far more information than is usually provided to a grand jury. This is referred to as a "data dump", or dumping so much data on a grand jury that it's difficult for them to sort through it all.

    He conducted the presentation of evidence to the grand jury like it was trial, without the benefit of cross examination.

    He conducted the press conference like he was a defense attorney for Wilson even though he's supposed to work on behalf of the state and the victim, Brown.

    He has not indicted a police officer in a shooting in the entire 23 years he's been the prosecutor.

    His police officer father was killed by a black man in the line of duty.

    His brother, nephew and cousin are all police officers in St. Louis.

    His mother was a clerk for the St. Louis PD for 20 years.

    Yeah, he threw it. If someone hasn't indicted a police officer for 23 years, why would he start now? There was no chance and I hope he's investigated by the federal government.

    maybe, just maybe you should consider the evidence

    Documents from the Ferguson grand jury

    it is available for ALL to read.....but be forewarned

    it isnt what you were told it is......this is where reality comes into play

    so go through it, and then tell us what was thrown

    and how you would have gotten an indictment

    i will be here.......
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #43
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    provide it again then, must have missed it. simple. a timestamp.
    Stop playing games. Go back and read it.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #44
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    No prosecutor who wants to stay one would tank a grand jury hearing.
    true and when the most damning witnesses against the target are proven to be liars, that doesn't help getting an indictment



  5. #45
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    He provided the grand jury with far more information than is usually provided to a grand jury. This is referred to as a "data dump", or dumping so much data on a grand jury that it's difficult for them to sort through it all.

    He conducted the presentation of evidence to the grand jury like it was trial, without the benefit of cross examination.

    He conducted the press conference like he was a defense attorney for Wilson even though he's supposed to work on behalf of the state and the victim, Brown.

    He has not indicted a police officer in a shooting in the entire 23 years he's been the prosecutor.

    His police officer father was killed by a black man in the line of duty.

    His brother, nephew and cousin are all police officers in St. Louis.

    His mother was a clerk for the St. Louis PD for 20 years.

    Yeah, he threw it. If someone hasn't indicted a police officer for 23 years, why would he start now? There was no chance and I hope he's investigated by the federal government.
    The DA gave the grand jury TOO much information?! What a bizarre complaint. Hiding information, yes. But TOO MUCH info?

    Really, in your view, the DA should have been someone who knows nothing about being a police officer and hated cops.

  6. #46
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'm not sure what your issue is, and I probably shouldn't butt in, but the sequence of events seems to be that Brown struggled with Wilson for Wilson's gun, in the car and vicinity of the car at which point the gun fired and Brown was injured. Following that, Brown started to flee and got about 150 feet from Wilson, trailing blood from his injury, and then started back towards Wilson when Wilson ordered him to stop. Brown didn't just stop in his place, 150 feet away, but started to return to where Wilson was and Wilson fired at him and the final, fatal shot happened when Brown was about 35 feet away.

    That may not be your issue, but that's the evidence as I understand it.
    30 feet is considered the closest a person can be to you where you can reliably stop the person with a firearm. Once the distance is less than 30 it is considered highly likely the person will reach you. It's not like Westerns where you shoot the bad gun and he instantly drops dead - however good guys often are only wounded.

    Another Hollywood myth is that if you point a gun as someone and tell them to put up their hands that is what they do. In fact, while they may hesitate at first, most young people will 1.) run or 2. charge.

    That Brown violently assaulted the officer shows he was not intent to submit. The charging 300 young man would be unstoppable to most people. Then it would be the 300 pound young man fighting the smaller officer for his own sidearm. That he ran showed he did not intend to surrender. At 300 pounds he couldn't likely outrun the officer either. So he turned again back towards the officer.

    Then what happened is the question, isn't it?

  7. #47
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Keep in mind that the trial was to determine whether or not charges could be laid, not whether or not Wilson was guilty. From Justice Scalia:

    "It is the grand jury’s function not ‘to enquire … upon what foundation [the charge may be] denied,’ or otherwise to try the suspect’s defenses, but only to examine ‘upon what foundation [the charge] is made’ by the prosecutor. Respublica v. Shaffer, 1 Dall. 236 (O. T. Phila. 1788); see also F. Wharton, Criminal Pleading and Practice § 360, pp. 248-249 (8th ed. 1880). As a consequence, neither in this country nor in England has the suspect under investigation by the grand jury ever been thought to have a right to testify or to have exculpatory evidence presented."
    Most Americans have a pretty solid knowledge of the grand jury system here. The grand jury looks at information provided to them, and ascertains whether or not the lowest possible standard of "probable cause" has been met. If so, the jury will indict. In this case, after review of the rock-solid forensic evidence backing Officer Wilson's account, the jury decided that there wasn't even "probable cause" for an indictment, let alone the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" required at trial.

    This is a political firestorm created based upon what we now know were fabrications, falsifications, exaggerations and outright lies, which the scientific evidence completely obliterated. Even now idiots are continuing a stupid "hands up, don't shoot" mantra despite the fact that evidence proves that his hands were not up and that he was moving rapidly toward the officer before the first shots were fired.

    What we are now seeing is a plethora of people, egged on by ratings-greedy media, saying, "screw the facts, we want war!" I for one refuse to participate in such idiocy.

  8. #48
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    the body was found 150 feet from the vehicle.
    The only thing that matters is that the body fell within ten feet of where Officer Wilson was standing when the final shot was fired, evidenced by forensic evidence proving that Michael Brown was indeed moving rapidly toward the officer and had nearly reached him before he finally fell.

  9. #49
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The only thing that matters is that the body fell within ten feet of where Officer Wilson was standing when the final shot was fired, evidenced by forensic evidence proving that Michael Brown was indeed moving rapidly toward the officer and had nearly reached him before he finally fell.
    That he fell 10 feet away and was not shot in the back answers it, doesn't it?

  10. #50
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Did the prosecutor throw the Darren Wilson grand jury trial?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    30 feet is considered the closest a person can be to you where you can reliably stop the person with a firearm. Once the distance is less than 30 it is considered highly likely the person will reach you. It's not like Westerns where you shoot the bad gun and he instantly drops dead - however good guys often are only wounded.

    Another Hollywood myth is that if you point a gun as someone and tell them to put up their hands that is what they do. In fact, while they may hesitate at first, most young people will 1.) run or 2. charge.

    That Brown violently assaulted the officer shows he was not intent to submit. The charging 300 young man would be unstoppable to most people. Then it would be the 300 pound young man fighting the smaller officer for his own sidearm. That he ran showed he did not intend to surrender. At 300 pounds he couldn't likely outrun the officer either. So he turned again back towards the officer.

    Then what happened is the question, isn't it?
    I don't disagree - logic tells me the officer acted in the only way he could.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •