View Poll Results: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I really believe in religion.

    22 81.48%
  • No I conform belief in religion for socioeconomic advantages

    5 18.52%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 123

Thread: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is interesting. That is almost exactly the opposite of what I observe in real life.

    Would you say, generally, that (for example) MLK Jr was weak, ignorant, or desperate?
    I never knew the man, so how can I possibly answer that?

    But he did not seem weak or desperate in any way...so that leaves ignorant (about religion anyways).

    Imo, everyone that believes in the Bible is ignorant on the subject since it is impossible for them to know if God exists or not. So to say matter-of-factly that he does exist and the Bible is gospel, etc. means you are taking a leap of faith...thus, you do NOT know...you only believe. So you are ignorant (you lack knowledge) on the subject. You have zero scientific proof that God exists - it is purely an emotional decision...that ever-popular 'leap of faith'.

    I can believe that little green men live underground on Mars...but since I cannot know, I am ignorant on the subject...no matter how much I believe.

    Believing in something does not make it real...it is just belief.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I get that. I think lying to people, especially about things that are important, is wrong. Am I suppose to not say that, just because it's a fact of reality that some people act like crappy human beings?

    You're much more commodifying of it than myself, or even the newer culture, which I don't happen to think is entirely healthy. You view relationships more coldly than anyone I've ever met in hook up culture. And that isn't a "fact" -- it's something you choose to believe. A lot of people -- in fact, most people in truly successful and happy relationships -- don't agree with you.


    What amuses me as a fairly progressive guy myself is that you don't actually respect women in almost every one of your supposed "defenses" you espouse for them.



    I actually think your average woman who sleeps with a man, any man, knows exactly what is bs and what is real and she does it anyways and do you want to know why she does it anyways? Because she doesn't actually believe any of the moralistic tripe crap you claim she does or ever did. She's going for the raw accumulation of perceived majority siding benefits in the guy and that's all she or anyone has ever done, be they liberal or conservative.


    I'm simply making it easier for her to decide by emphasizing religiosity. After 10 minutes of being with me does she probably know my religiosity is bs? Of course. Does she still go forward? Yes and why? Because I made the idiotic societal effort and she took note of that and appreciated it, even if she knows it's bs, the irony of which being she likely doesn't believe it either, point being she simply wants someone who professes to believe it.
    Last edited by Ryan5; 12-03-14 at 08:16 PM.

  3. #113
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,630

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I know for a fact that I don't believe in religion at all but I'm officially a Christian for socioeconomic reasons.
    I am an atheist for socioeconomic reasons.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  4. #114
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I never knew the man, so how can I possibly answer that?

    But he did not seem weak or desperate in any way...so that leaves ignorant (about religion anyways).
    Doctorate and Minister. Unlikely to be ignorant.

    I'm thinking your thesis is designed around self-reinforcement more than it is based on accurate observation.

    Imo, everyone that believes in the Bible is ignorant on the subject since it is impossible for them to know if God exists or not.
    Only to the extent to which it is "impossible to know anything".

    So to say matter-of-factly that he does exist and the Bible is gospel, etc. means you are taking a leap of faith...thus, you do NOT know...you only believe.
    depends. I believe that my brother exists and that the emails in my inbox with his name on them are from him - is that a leap of faith?

    So you are ignorant (you lack knowledge) on the subject. You have zero scientific proof that God exists - it is purely an emotional decision...that ever-popular 'leap of faith'.
    No - I have first-person observation and multiple confirming accounts. Again, you are projecting a position onto others that they do not take.

    I can believe that little green men live underground on Mars...but since I cannot know, I am ignorant on the subject...no matter how much I believe.
    Until the little green men contact us.

    Believing in something does not make it real...it is just belief.
    Noumenal v Phenomenal, then ?

  5. #115
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,961
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    I am a Buddhist due to the fact it brings a calming influence to my life and an inner peace. I have also found out through meditation it helps keep my mind sharp and clear and puts a lot of the worries of the day into their proper perspective. There is no socioeconomic advantage or any thought that by being religious can aid my social status or income by believing in a religion.

    Although as everyone knows, there are those who take advantage of the religious to bilk every penny out of them they personally can bilk. To make themselves rich at the expense of those who believe.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Doctorate and Minister. Unlikely to be ignorant.

    I'm thinking your thesis is designed around self-reinforcement more than it is based on accurate observation.



    Only to the extent to which it is "impossible to know anything".



    depends. I believe that my brother exists and that the emails in my inbox with his name on them are from him - is that a leap of faith?



    No - I have first-person observation and multiple confirming accounts. Again, you are projecting a position onto others that they do not take.



    Until the little green men contact us.



    Noumenal v Phenomenal, then ?
    I have told you before, I don't do multi-quote, post debates...they just drag on and on...ESPECIALLY when they are theory rather then fact-based. And for what? Neither of us is going to change the other's mind. Surely you must have something better to do.

    No offense, but I think ALL major religions are a complete and total waste of time, take millions more lives then they ever 'save', are for the weak and/or the ignorant and/or the desperate and I also believe religion was humanities dumbest invention. And the older I get, the stronger I feel about it.

    You obviously do not agree...so be it.


    Good day.


    Oh, btw, if you ever do talk to this God of yours...tell him to go and f*ck himself for me.

    Last edited by DA60; 12-04-14 at 12:50 PM.

  7. #117
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I have told you before, I don't do multi-quote, post debates...they just drag on and on...ESPECIALLY when they are theory rather then fact-based. And for what? Neither of us is going to change the other's mind. Surely you must have something better to do.

    No offense, but I think ALL major religions are a complete and total waste of time, take millions more lives then they ever 'save', are for the weak and/or the ignorant and/or the desperate and I also believe religion was humanities dumbest invention. And the older I get, the stronger I feel about it.

    You obviously do not agree...so be it.

    Good day.

    Oh, btw, if you ever do talk to this God of yours...tell him to go and f*ck himself for me.

    I think He laughed

    However, if you are going to make deliberately provocative statements degrading people who are members of a religion.... You're going to get pushback. Especially when it is pretty easily falsifiable and pretty clearly falsified.

  8. #118
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I have told you before, I don't do multi-quote, post debates...they just drag on and on...ESPECIALLY when they are theory rather then fact-based. And for what? Neither of us is going to change the other's mind. Surely you must have something better to do.

    No offense, but I think ALL major religions are a complete and total waste of time, take millions more lives then they ever 'save', are for the weak and/or the ignorant and/or the desperate and I also believe religion was humanities dumbest invention. And the older I get, the stronger I feel about it.

    You obviously do not agree...so be it.

    Good day.

    Oh, btw, if you ever do talk to this God of yours...tell him to go and f*ck himself for me.

    I think He laughed

    However, if you are going to make deliberately provocative statements degrading people who are members of a religion.... Your fact-free bigotry will produce pushback. Especially when it is pretty easily falsifiable and pretty clearly falsified.

  9. #119
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,571
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    My faith is my own and, so far, seems to be pretty unique to me alone. I am Christian as I have a personal relationship with the living Christ. I don't pretend to be a 'good Christian', but in my understanding of my faith, being 'good' is not a requirement to be 'Christian'. It might be a requirement for a Christian act.

    I do attend church not because it is important or essential to my faith--it honestly isn't--but because I am encouraged and strengthened by interaction with other Christians and I believe that is beneficial to all. Even on those Sundays that I am honestly just going through the motions during the music, prayers, and sermon and my thoughts are somewhere else, I can feel the benefit as opposed to staying home on Sunday. It is hard to explain to those who haven't experienced it, but that is the way it is for me.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    Just how big is your cross necklace? Like Ozzy's? Otherwise, dropped into your shirt, it probably doesn't get noticed all that much.

    Good family, six years for a BS degree. Likes to wear white pants. My suggestion would be to start playing more tennis. That's where the "in crowd" of societal upper crust is likely to be found. Go to the courts (grass of course, clay if you must) and soon enough a young, pretty, religious co-ed will ask you if you want to play a few sets.

    After she skunks you in six sets, complain that your limp wrist has been acting up. Hopefully, she'll ask you to her place for some first aid, see your cross, ask you if you love Jesus, and there you are; romance.

    The above is not my style, but I have faith that it will work for you.

    EDIT: As to the poll: I believe.


    It's actually pretty big comparatively speaking in respect to others who wear cross necklaces. The results are immediate though and truly it is amazing how stunningly sudden the social results can be. Say what you will about wearing a cross necklace, it definitely causes something to change in women in how they treat you (which obviously is idiotic, but hey, I'm gonna use it to my advantage). Oddly even among openly secular or liberal women it causes the exact same change, which might suggest that contrary to whatever beliefs we humans profess, at the end of the day we are extremely visually influenced animals.


    I've had a woman be a total monster to me and later in the day I dropped the necklace out of my shirt and insta-change. Absolutely insane. Amazing how a piece of metal shaped a certain way can have such a massive net result.
    Last edited by Ryan5; 12-04-14 at 09:00 PM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •