View Poll Results: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I really believe in religion.

    22 81.48%
  • No I conform belief in religion for socioeconomic advantages

    5 18.52%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 123

Thread: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

  1. #91
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    I guess I would sta that I am more spiritual than religious, although I claim Christianity as my religion. Like Jessie Booth, I no longer claim any particular denomination. I really do believe in God, and in Jesus' sacrifice for my sins. I don't believe that Christianity is the only way. I believe that Christ is the only way, but not that he has a one shot, this is the only method you're getting deal. If God loves man as much as is claimed then He has multiple methods for winning us back and Jesus is the one running the various projects.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  2. #92
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,896

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    That's not the only thing you don't understand, clearly, lol.

    Nobody's denying religions exist..

    Ah, the Internets..
    Your poll asks "Do you really believe in religion?"

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Your poll asks "Do you really believe in religion?"

    Yes but it's implying a particular religion. Sorry for being short with you. Skyping and texting keeping me busy. The single mothers are wild tonight it seems.

  4. #94
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Neither answer fits me. I am not religious and see no real value in it socio-economically speaking or other wise. It seems to be an out of date social club.

    I don't believe in religion at all.
    It's okay to be white

  5. #95
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Well, I hate to break to you, but what guys like Ryan "desire" is dat booty.

    Faking religious devotion simply happens to get it for him from women who are either gullible enough to believe the act, or apathetic enough not to care.

    Sooo.... From your ideological perspective, anyway, I'm not seeing the issue.

    Besides which, the "market" is a fact of life, especially given the commodification of sexuality for its own sake our culture has undertaken in recent decades. In that regard, guys like Ryan can essentially be viewed as simply being entrepreneurs like any other.

    He's found, for all intents and purposes, a "marketing gimmick" that happens to work for him.

    I might not happen to approve of his methods. However, as far as results are concerned, they would seem to have achieved the desired effect.
    I get that. I think lying to people, especially about things that are important, is wrong. Am I suppose to not say that, just because it's a fact of reality that some people act like crappy human beings?

    You're much more commodifying of it than myself, or even the newer culture, which I don't happen to think is entirely healthy. You view relationships more coldly than anyone I've ever met in hook up culture. And that isn't a "fact" -- it's something you choose to believe. A lot of people -- in fact, most people in truly successful and happy relationships -- don't agree with you.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I get that. I think lying to people, especially about things that are important, is wrong. Am I suppose to not say that, just because it's a fact of reality that some people act like crappy human beings?

    You're much more commodifying of it than myself, or even the newer culture, which I don't happen to think is entirely healthy. You view relationships more coldly than anyone I've ever met in hook up culture. And that isn't a "fact" -- it's something you choose to believe. A lot of people -- in fact, most people in truly successful and happy relationships -- don't agree with you.
    I didn't say that it was something I personally embraced. Viewed objectively, however, it simply is what it is.

    For quite a few people out there today, today's sexual marketplace basically boils down to little more than the "law of the jungle." People like Ryan simply happen to exemplify that trend.

    They're not so uncommon as you might like to think either, especially not among the ranks of the kind of "Alpha male" men who actually tend to be most successful when it comes to facilitating temporary sexual liaisons.

    Trust me. Between military school, the actual military, and my current job (I work with tons of hyper-masculine and hyper-promiscuous twenty something police officers, many of whom went to the same military school I did), I've met more than enough of these kind of men to know how they tend to think.

    There is a certain logic and economy to it, even if those living it are not self-aware enough to put the matter in such terms. Frankly, the fact that so many women categorically refuse to acknowledge that reality is precisely why those kinds of men tend to be so successful in the first place.

    I simply found it ironic that you would express support for such a state of affairs in so many other threads, but scold this particular promiscuous male for tactics which you viewed as being "non-kosher." As noted, those exact kinds of tactics are largely what this entire system is built around to begin with.

    i.e. The commodification of sexuality, and the decoupling of sex and love, absent commitment.

    Popular denial does not make this underlying premise any less valid, or sadly pervasive in modern culture.

  7. #97
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I didn't say that it was something I personally embraced. Viewed objectively, however, it simply is what it is.

    For quite a few people out there today, today's sexual marketplace basically boils down to little more than the "law of the jungle." People like Ryan simply happen to exemplify that trend.

    They're not so uncommon as you might like to think either, especially not among the ranks of the kind of "Alpha male" men who actually tend to be most successful when it comes to facilitating temporary sexual liaisons.

    Trust me. Between military school, the actual military, and my current job (I work with tons of hyper-masculine and hyper-promiscuous twenty something police officers, many of whom went to the same military school I did), I've met more than enough of these kind of men to know how they tend to think.

    There is a certain logic and economy to it, even if those living it are not self-aware enough to put the matter in such terms. Frankly, the fact that so many women categorically refuse to acknowledge that reality is precisely why those kinds of men tend to be so successful in the first place.

    I simply found it ironic that you would express support for such a state of affairs in so many other threads, but scold this particular promiscuous male for tactics which you viewed as being "non-kosher." As noted, those exact kinds of tactics are largely what this entire system is built around to begin with.

    i.e. The commodification of sexuality, and the decoupling of sex and love, absent commitment.

    Popular denial does not make this underlying premise any less valid, or sadly pervasive in modern culture.
    Well, yes, of course. You're hanging out with crappy sexist men. And as I already demonstrated with actual research, they only attract damaged sexist women.

    Those of us who don't run in those circles -- a majority -- don't have the same experience. We've been over this.

    It's not something I've ever supported. We've had many long conversations about where I think hook-up culture went astray, why yours is just as bad if not worse, and why your selection of people has led you to the experiences you've had. I won't do it again. You know the search terms.

    Stop hanging out with crappy people.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    I certainly believe in and try my best everyday to follow the ethical, compassionate and moral principles laid out in the Bible.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Well, yes, of course. You're hanging out with crappy sexist men. And as I already demonstrated with actual research, they only attract damaged sexist women.

    Those of us who don't run in those circles -- a majority -- don't have the same experience. We've been over this.

    It's not something I've ever supported. We've had many long conversations about where I think hook-up culture went astray, why yours is just as bad if not worse, and why your selection of people has led you to the experiences you've had. I won't do it again. You know the search terms.

    Stop hanging out with crappy people.
    A "majority" of people don't even hook up at all. However, that kind of goes back to the major gist of the problem with the popular conception of "hook up culture" in the first place.

    A) It only really benefits a tiny minority of hyper-promiscuous men, and the probably even smaller minority of women who are either equally promiscuous, or actually enjoy be used as living sex toys by promiscuous men, with everyone else getting "shafted" in one way or another.

    B) It upholds aforementioned hyper-promiscuous men as being some kind of shining exemplar of masculinity everyone else should aspire to either imitate or bed down with, regardless of whether they have the ability to do so or not, or it is something they would even enjoy doing. It also tends to demean people who either fail to live up to that standard, or opt out completely.

    This has resulted in a culture, and youth culture in particular, with some rather awkward and unhealthy ideas regarding the nature of sex, love, and relationships.

    However, as you said, these are all things we have been over before. There is really no reason go over them again.

    Suffice to say, I simply find the idea that more "casual" sexuality could ever exist without at least some degree of deception, commodification, objectification, or degradation of the concept of meaningful "love," to be rather naive.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 12-03-14 at 01:51 AM.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,514

    Re: Do you really believe in religion or do you conform for socioeconomic advantages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    It absolutely is a bargaining position for socioeconomic advantages.

    A pretty Christian woman's pants coming down because you're wearing a piece of metal around your neck shaped a certain way is evidence enough of that.

    Religion is merely a social club that grants access to its benefits structure. You're either going to be a part of that social club and reap the benefits or you're not and you're going to lose out.
    So generally you're admitting you have no core value.
    You are without a sense of honor and dignity.
    Almost everything about you is a lie, and that's how you chose to live your life, and represent yourself to others.

    And you're fine with this?
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •