View Poll Results: Are racists good people?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 10.64%
  • Most are

    4 8.51%
  • Some are

    25 53.19%
  • None are

    13 27.66%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 173

Thread: Can Racists be Good People?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yeah, but who don't you think is racist? People aren't racist simply because you say they are or because they hold a different political lean than you.

    That's just more of a PSA, I don't expect you to concede or understand that.
    You should learn not to assume.

    All humans (including myself) are racist at least to some extent. The difference is that many of us have learned that it is wrong, and we try our best to fight it whenever we see it...including when we see it in ourselves.

    This isn't something I'm making up in order to answer your frankly snarky reply. I've said the same thing for years - as you can see in this article I wrote just over five years ago.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #72
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Finally, a progressive who admits he is racist.
    I do not think post #63 means what you want it to mean.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #73
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Finally, a progressive who admits he is racist.
    But what do you do to fight the racism you see - in those of your own race, among your own friends and family, and in yourself?

    That's what sets people like me apart from the kind of people I grew up with...we see the problem, admit that there is a problem, and we try to do something about it. Unfortunately, there's so many conservatives I've known over the years who refuse to admit that there's any problem with it at all.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #74
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    The current definition of racism used by some people on the left preclude guilt by anyone other than whites, at least in the US (not saying that about TeleKat, just something I've observed).
    Yes, a racist can be of any color, creed, etc. But what we have seen during the Obama administration is the expansion of the definition to include anyone who ever disagrees with one of his policies. Because of that, the term racist has lost a lot of its original meaning, its evil connotation. I could disagree with Bill Clinton when he was president, it was then a difference in political ideology, a policy difference. But when I disagree with Obama on the same issue/policy, all of a sudden I become a racist.

    That is not progress, one must realize when it comes to politics, people are going to have different ideologies and look at things different. Just because the president happens to be black, does not make a disagreement on policy racist. Most racist are easy to see and on DP, their posts clearly points that out. But automatically calling someone a racist over a political policy disagreement is asinine. In my opinion anyway.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i don't worry about people being racist,... its a right.

    i just choose to disassociate with those kind of people, and move along....and i don't lost a night's sleep over it.
    Says the guy with the name of another guy in the Nazi party's armed wing.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    I am just curious. Why didn't you mention the New Black Panther Party along with the Democrat KKK and the Nazi's?
    Didn't think to include them. They aren't as dangerous as the KKK or the Nazis because black racism, while just as vitriolic, hasn't been institutionalized to the level of white racism.

  7. #77
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    The discourse on racism has become so arcane that its like reading legal gobbledygook. Probably because these days its legal gobbledygook. Forget about a black man becoming President, that doesn't pertain to the issue; racism is over when it becomes legal gobbledygook.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #78
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    On the heels of reading how it's just totally ok and no big deal to accuse people of racism because, hey, it doesn't mean you're a bad person if you are, I'm wondering if most people agree. Are racists good people?

    Need a minute to get the poll up.
    I would say most are good people, just like most people who are not racists are good people.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #79
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Says the guy with the name of another guy in the Nazi party's armed wing.
    you need to know what you are talking about, and you need to post things of substance, not emotional based-gobbledygook.

  10. #80
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I do not think post #63 means what you want it to mean.
    Wouldn't HE be part of his WHOLE racist family?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •