View Poll Results: Are racists good people?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 10.64%
  • Most are

    4 8.51%
  • Some are

    25 53.19%
  • None are

    13 27.66%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 173

Thread: Can Racists be Good People?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,523

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    My step grandfather is unbelievably racist, I once dated an Asian girl and he told me not to "mix with those people" because "they're not like us".

    So I ended up marrying Japanese.

    And you wouldn't want to hear what he has to say about blacks.

    He's still a good guy, was a volunteer fire fighter etc.

    Just one aspect of him.
    I had very much the same kind of experience - see reply #56.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #62
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I had very much the same kind of experience - see reply #56.
    Yeah I understand that.

    My father put the fear of god into my step grandfather though and he didn't say a word when I married Japanese.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,523

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    On the heels of reading how it's just totally ok and no big deal to accuse people of racism because, hey, it doesn't mean you're a bad person if you are, I'm wondering if most people agree. Are racists good people?

    Need a minute to get the poll up.
    And one more observation - most racists really don't realize that they are racist. My whole family was racist...but we would all have denied being racist at all.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #64
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And one more observation - most racists really don't realize that they are racist. My whole family was racist...but we would all have denied being racist at all.

    i don't worry about people being racist,... its a right.

    i just choose to disassociate with those kind of people, and move along....and i don't lost a night's sleep over it.

  5. #65
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And one more observation - most racists really don't realize that they are racist. My whole family was racist...but we would all have denied being racist at all.
    Yeah, but who don't you think is racist? People aren't racist simply because you say they are or because they hold a different political lean than you.

    That's just more of a PSA, I don't expect you to concede or understand that.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #66
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Depends. Simply being a racist does not automatically make you a bad person. The problem you'll run into is that severe racism can often manifest itself in bad ways. Take the KKK for example. Or the Nazis.
    I am just curious. Why didn't you mention the New Black Panther Party along with the Democrat KKK and the Nazi's?

  7. #67
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    I don't think that the racist on MSNBC are good people. But then again MSNBC is nothing but a 24/7 Hate-A-Thon.

  8. #68
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    I am just curious. Why didn't you mention the New Black Panther Party along with the Democrat KKK and the Nazi's?
    The current definition of racism used by some people on the left preclude guilt by anyone other than whites, at least in the US (not saying that about TeleKat, just something I've observed).
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #69
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Here's where I have to acknowledge that my question is vague by not defining "racist" given that using the term "black cloud" and "black hole" in a talking graduation card is blatant racism (because after all, it might be saying "black ho", you know how Hallmark is).
    You act as if the right wing has no interest in these manufactured scandals. However the right wing does. They allow right wingers to point at fake racism as opposed to real racism without ever really having to define the implications of either. It's kind of like Rush Limbaugh slut comments to Sandra Fluke overshadowed the larger argument being made by her that women's reproductive rights are under constant threat by a socially conservative establishment. From the moment it started, Rush Limbaugh knew it would draw attention away her larger arguments and would have people focus on what he wanted them to focus on. By making the discussion about his manufactured sexism, he could point at "real sexism" which is how white protestant men get attacked for denigrating women on TV.

    Similarly, the 'black hole' incident in retrospect was manufactured. It was manufactured because the supposedly left wing media has no interest in discussing racism anymore than the right wing media does. These perpetual discussions on petty racial incidents avoid what the larger discussion on race in America. They also overshadow the fact that black men receive harsher sentencing than their white counterparts, the fact that states have established laws affecting racial minorities and violating their civil rights Stop & Frisk, and the fact that anti-drug legislation is crafted in such a way that some drugs are subjectively judged worse than others (ie. crack cocaine, used primarily by low income minorities, is treated far harsher in court than cocaine, used primarily by middle class whites).

    If the right wing media focuses on smaller incidents of racial confrontation, it can avoid having to discuss the way its support for institutional racism has affected minorities. So whereas for one media, the interest in discussing these issues superficially is mostly economic, for the other, it tends to be ideological. These positions switch depending on the issue but the rule of thumb is still the same. If one side wants to discuss the issue because it affects its ideology, the other covers it because it's good for its pockets. In the end, the discussion avoids the larger issue.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-28-14 at 04:55 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #70
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And one more observation - most racists really don't realize that they are racist. My whole family was racist...but we would all have denied being racist at all.
    Finally, a progressive who admits he is racist.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •