View Poll Results: Are racists good people?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 10.64%
  • Most are

    4 8.51%
  • Some are

    25 53.19%
  • None are

    13 27.66%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 173

Thread: Can Racists be Good People?

  1. #41
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    In my 3D life I know very few people who are racist. The question though, can racists be good people, is ridiculous. Define good people and you will have your answer. This is much like the international health care ranking which seek to prove that countries with universal health care coverage are the best nations for health care. One of the criteria that weights the survey heavily is does the country have universal health care coverage. The US does not, so aside from leading the world in technologies, access and facilities, the US always ranks lowly.

    It's the same with this topic. If your definition of a good person allows for racism you get one answer, if it doesn't, you get another.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,298
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Do you think accusations of racism should be made lightly?
    No I do not, and in American politics all too often it is thrown around very casually and without much thought.

    Besides the Nazi's we had there's only one regular member here who I find overtly racist and I'll tell him that without a problem.

    Again though, a person who has racist tendencies is not necessarily a bad person based on that one aspect of them, also depending on how racist they are and how that racism manifests itself in their daily lives.

    Take my step grandfather for example, as racist as he may be, I don't think he'd bat an eyelash about saving anyone from a burning building regardless of their race because that was his duty, had his racism manifested itself in refusing to help that person, that was what would make him bad.

    Another point I'd like to make is having studied Stormfront for some time, one of the most sobering aspects of that community is that some of these people are just normal people, they live among us and they harbor these deeply seated racist beliefs and they genuinely believe that them, their families and their race are in danger from race mixing, reverse racism etc.

    I don't think they're right, but not all of them have that belief strictly out of hate and want to commit violence against anyone, it's fear as well and the way they were brought up and love for their family who they're genuinely concerned about, they're as much a victim of circumstance as anyone could be in that situation, like my step grandfather who was probably taught that his entire life in Northern England in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

  3. #43
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    On the heels of reading how it's just totally ok and no big deal to accuse people of racism because, hey, it doesn't mean you're a bad person if you are, I'm wondering if most people agree. Are racists good people?

    Need a minute to get the poll up.
    Yes, but I think the decent racist is getting less and less common.

    Almost all decent racists, it seems to me, are people who are racist because that's the culture they grew up with. They're mostly elderly, although there are still a few here and there who just had a very isolated cultural experience growing up.

    They tend to be racist to a degree that is roughly 20% less than whatever they grew up with culturally, and it's typically a somewhat impotent belief. They mostly know the times have changed and some of them don't even resent that -- they just grew up how they did, that's what they got used to, and they haven't really let go of it. Some are worse than others.

    A lot of us have a grandparent who is racist in this manner, myself included. Yeah, my grandmother is kind of racist. She also believes in separation, because that's how things were in her day. She still treats a black person fine if they come over though. And like most people of her type, she's a good person in all the ways that count. She doesn't hate anyone -- she just grew up however she did, and she's too old to change now.

    It can be a little embarrassing to hear them, especially those who are so old that they don't always remember to limit saying such things to close company, but most of us get it's just a product of their time, it's not going to change, it's not going to hurt anyone, and they lived through WWII damn it, so don't argue things with them. Their blood pressure is bad enough as it is, and they should just be left alone to enjoy the twilight of their lives without people fighting with them.

    But those people are dying. Not just from age, but also because the insular communities that held on to that are getting less and less insulated.

    Most younger racists are not particularly decent people. They didn't get that way passively, by community osmosis, the way our grandparents did (or a limited number of people who came from the remaining insular communities in this country). They got that way by active distaste or even hatred which they then chose to aim in the particular direction of race.

    They cultivated that within themselves, they are more likely to spend time going on about it unprovoked, they are more confrontational to people around them -- including of races they don't like -- and it just generally makes up a bigger part of their personality.

    It isn't just that they're racist. It's what kind of internal reality it took for someone growing up in a society that disavows hating people based on superficiality to wind up that way anyway. And if you can bare to be around them for long enough to find out, there usually is some kind of point in time where they decided to be that way.

    People who harbor those kinds of feelings usually aren't particularly good people.

  4. #44
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Actually I think you are talking about access to healthcare. And yes, how many citizens can access your system is an appropriate thing to measuer when rating a system.
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    In my 3D life I know very few people who are racist. The question though, can racists be good people, is ridiculous. Define good people and you will have your answer. This is much like the international health care ranking which seek to prove that countries with universal health care coverage are the best nations for health care. One of the criteria that weights the survey heavily is does the country have universal health care coverage. The US does not, so aside from leading the world in technologies, access and facilities, the US always ranks lowly.

    It's the same with this topic. If your definition of a good person allows for racism you get one answer, if it doesn't, you get another.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  5. #45
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Actually I think you are talking about access to healthcare. And yes, how many citizens can access your system is an appropriate thing to measuer when rating a system.
    Not trying to derail the thread but universal healthcare is about access, not quality. The point is wether or not a good person can be racist is established by your definition of good person.

    I saw something this morning which I thought was illustrative. The vast majority of fouls called in the NBA by white referees are called on black players. Are the referees in the NBA racist? The power of statistics is how you spin them.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  6. #46
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Good question. but is the majority of playing time played by black players? You just need to understand what the statistics are saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Not trying to derail the thread but universal healthcare is about access, not quality. The point is wether or not a good person can be racist is established by your definition of good person.

    I saw something this morning which I thought was illustrative. The vast majority of fouls called in the NBA by white referees are called on black players. Are the referees in the NBA racist? The power of statistics is how you spin them.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  7. #47
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    They did, for a long time, European Imperialism.



    That's (mostly) in the past but it did have a huge impact on this planet.

  8. #48
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Good question. but is the majority of playing time played by black players? You just need to understand what the statistics are saying.
    Which was his point, I believe.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #49
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    On the heels of reading how it's just totally ok and no big deal to accuse people of racism because, hey, it doesn't mean you're a bad person if you are, I'm wondering if most people agree. Are racists good people?

    Need a minute to get the poll up.
    only to their own people,IMO
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  10. #50
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,774

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    By definition, no. Being a racist is a deal-breaker, period.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •