View Poll Results: Are racists good people?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 10.64%
  • Most are

    4 8.51%
  • Some are

    25 53.19%
  • None are

    13 27.66%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 173

Thread: Can Racists be Good People?

  1. #161
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,504

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I could show you many examples of conservatives calling out racism where it's clear it exists. Disagreeing with you that something is racism, especially given some of the silly things you all say is "dog whistle" racism does not actually mean someone is minimizing it or racist themselves. It means they disagree with you.
    I know many conservatives call out racism. I have seen it. I don't deny facts and truths. I still don't know why you continually lump me in with "you people" and "you all." I consider myself politically moderate person, and I am fast loosing interest in politics. I avoid network news and media like the plague.

  2. #162
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,504

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So what kind of racist am I?
    IDK... I don't think I have seen you say anything racist, but I don't automatically think you are racist because of your demographic either.

    Neutral is not racist, I guess. I don't presume people are racist until proven wrong.


    I honestly find it offensive of you to put me in the spot like this. I hope you have learned something and stop lumping people into groups and assuming the worst before you actually get to know them.

  3. #163
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,504

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    But actual racism is called out by all sides. Its the "boy who cried wolf" lefties shrieking racism anywhere and everywhere to silence their political opposition thats the issue. That includes the race hustling poverty pimps sharpton and jackson. Its a means to exert control on others-thats my issue with it.
    Racism and politics should be kept separate, but everything in American is overly politicized. I know I am asking for too much right there, but I honestly don't care about the political atmosphere of racism. The stereotype is that the right accuses people of pulling the race card, the left screams racism. A discussion on race and racism through a political filter is not the real world.

    To me, racism is about my personal life and interpersonal relationships.

  4. #164
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    IDK... I don't think I have seen you say anything racist, but I don't automatically think you are racist because of your demographic either.

    Neutral is not racist, I guess. I don't presume people are racist until proven wrong.


    I honestly find it offensive of you to put me in the spot like this. I hope you have learned something and stop lumping people into groups and assuming the worst before you actually get to know them.
    I'm sorry, SheWolf. Speaking of getting to know someone, I feel like today has been all about fending off accusations of being racist, not because of anything I do or say, but in spite of all that. My whole thing is that I don't think "racism" or "racist "are things to be used casually or that it can be minimized by saying, "yeah but it doesn't make you a bad person. Where it's real, it should be called out, strongly and without mincing words, but it needs to be accurate.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #165
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Being racist is inherently contradictory with being a good person, imo, but a good person can have "bad" qualities. A casual racist could still be a good person, but someone who actively believes in racism probably is not a good person.

    However, the more I think about it, the more it seems as though this debate depends on how you define "good person," which is totally arbitrary.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Coincidently, I just happened to watch "Gentlemen's Agreement" on TCM. The moral of the story seemed to be that when "good people" are complacent or apathetic then it's little different than being anti-Semitic, racist and/or bigoted.


    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    Complacency is complicity. So to answer the question, yes 'good people' can be racists.

  7. #167
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,504

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    I haven't seen you say or do anything racist on this board, so IDK... maybe the person calling you that is unfair...

    I think a lot of those posters are trollish, and I don't troll on calling people racist. Thunder was notorious for that, and to me, he was an obvious troll. Don't let people like that get to you.


    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm sorry, SheWolf. Speaking of getting to know someone, I feel like today has been all about fending off accusations of being racist, not because of anything I do or say, but in spite of all that. My whole thing is that I don't think "racism" or "racist "are things to be used casually or that it can be minimized by saying, "yeah but it doesn't make you a bad person. Where it's real, it should be called out, strongly and without mincing words, but it needs to be accurate.

  8. #168
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    I do believe one can be raised prejudice and then through education and experience become a good person dropping those notions. But no, I do not see a plausible method for one to be prejudice (racist) and a good person, the two involve notions that are incompatible. Namely the pre-judgement and exclusion of somoene exclusively upon a characteristic no one can change.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  9. #169
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I haven't seen you say or do anything racist on this board, so IDK... maybe the person calling you that is unfair...

    I think a lot of those posters are trollish, and I don't troll on calling people racist. Thunder was notorious for that, and to me, he was an obvious troll. Don't let people like that get to you.
    Good advice and to be honest, the guy saying it isn't trying to call me a "bad" racist or even a bigot. To him I'm just a passive one, I guess. I still reject it because I don't think there is racism without bigotry. But sincerely, thank you for the nice post even after I took out some stuff on you that you didn't deserve. I think, now, you were genuine when you said you didn't think calling someone racist wasn't necessarily the worst thing ever to say about someone. I took it more as "it's no big deal to fling that accusation around", but you're right, I don't know that I've ever seen you do that here.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #170
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    So why are you perplexed as to how some could subject themselves to a moral code that is potentially made in error?
    what i guess i am perplexed about is how people throw words of criticism at other people, because they do not conform to there ideas.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •