View Poll Results: Are racists good people?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 10.64%
  • Most are

    4 8.51%
  • Some are

    25 53.19%
  • None are

    13 27.66%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 173

Thread: Can Racists be Good People?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,565

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    There are at least ten obvious racists who are regulars on this forum and they have shown very few signs of being good people with their statements, although most are probably big talkers who do little harm to others as individuals. Most of them will sincerely deny it, and even accuse others of racism. If you aren't a racist and have been here for awhile you probably know who they are. They are all every conservative, but some may claim to be Libertarians.

    There are many more religious bigots, and I don't mean people who only criticize one or more religion's teachings. They hold "a belief that religion can be the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that religious differences produce an inherent inferiority of a particular religion." (phrase in quotes adapted from Webster's on-line definition of racism Racism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary) These people are bigoted against almost one third of the world's people.
    Thing is, racism and religious prejudice are at their base not that much different from each other. All prejudice - whether against race, religion, gender preferences, ethnicity, disability, what have you - is really just prejudice called by different names, because it all works with the same mental and emotional processes.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #92
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Everybody is prejudiced against somebody. There's no escaping that reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #93
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Yes, they can be good people in a general sense, but it's wrong to coddle racist views because that person also possesses positive characteristics.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Yes, a racist can be of any color, creed, etc. But what we have seen during the Obama administration is the expansion of the definition to include anyone who ever disagrees with one of his policies. Because of that, the term racist has lost a lot of its original meaning, its evil connotation. I could disagree with Bill Clinton when he was president, it was then a difference in political ideology, a policy difference. But when I disagree with Obama on the same issue/policy, all of a sudden I become a racist.

    That is not progress, one must realize when it comes to politics, people are going to have different ideologies and look at things different. Just because the president happens to be black, does not make a disagreement on policy racist. Most racist are easy to see and on DP, their posts clearly points that out. But automatically calling someone a racist over a political policy disagreement is asinine. In my opinion anyway.
    I won't deny that a few idiots may have claimed that disagreeing with Obama is racist, since there are plenty of idiots out there of all stripes. However, the claim that a significant number of Obama supporters believe that criticism of Obama is racist is a red herring and weapon of mass distraction.] There have always been conservatives opposed to his policies before they were associated with him, and everyone knows that. There also is a lot of racism behind the hatred of Obama, for example the people who labeled him a Kenyan anti-colonialist. (as if being an anti-colonialist is a bad thing)

  5. #95
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Everybody is prejudiced against somebody. There's no escaping that reality.
    Not all prejudices are equally harmful and/or reprehensible though. There's a distinction to be made between those who dislike those in the logging industry due to environmental concerns, and those who wish to exterminate Jewish people.

  6. #96
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Not all prejudices are equally harmful and/or reprehensible though. There's a distinction to be made between those who dislike those in the logging industry due to environmental concerns, and those who wish to exterminate Jewish people.
    And there are people defend some bigotry. That's the sad part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #97
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And there are people defend some bigotry. That's the sad part.
    Hey, what was that joke you were telling me about PSK the other day? It was a real side splitter!

  8. #98
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,961
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I won't deny that a few idiots may have claimed that disagreeing with Obama is racist, since there are plenty of idiots out there of all stripes. However, the claim that a significant number of Obama supporters believe that criticism of Obama is racist is a red herring and weapon of mass distraction.] There have always been conservatives opposed to his policies before they were associated with him, and everyone knows that. There also is a lot of racism behind the hatred of Obama, for example the people who labeled him a Kenyan anti-colonialist. (as if being an anti-colonialist is a bad thing)
    I don't think so. I seen here on DP and another couple of political sites. In fact I have been labeled that myself. No big deal for me. That stuff rolls off my back. But I have seen legitimate tuned into you are a racist because you disagree.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Everybody is prejudiced against somebody. There's no escaping that reality.
    The left doesn't care about human nature.

  10. #100
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,995
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can Racists be Good People?

    Very misleading, by the way. The thread title is CAN racists be good people, but the poll asks, ARE racists good people.



    I ALMOST voted yes, but read the question again.



    Just as some christians are good people, so, too, can some racists be good people.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •