View Poll Results: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary (Choose as many as you like)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clinton

    8 36.36%
  • Warren

    10 45.45%
  • Webb

    13 59.09%
  • Sanders

    9 40.91%
  • Biden

    4 18.18%
  • O'Malley

    4 18.18%
  • Cuomo

    4 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

  1. #21
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,139

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    I'm rather skeptical about putting anyone from the Obama administration at the helm of the Democratic ticket. For multiple reasons.
    Another disadvantage for Hillary. Sec of State, anyone?

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yeah, you're actual fun to argue with!
    You too!

    He had much more appeal to libertarians and, weirdly, a certain segment of lefties, than he ever did to the main GOP base. The GOP basically ignored him, including their long arm in the media, Fox. He never had a chance.
    We agree there, I was just establishing that he should not have been lumped in with the others when you were calling all the nominees bat**** insane. He was a pretty cool guy. A little iffy on the economics, but a definite change of pace from the general warhawks and civil authoritarians that make up the GOP.

    Not really. He just wasn't actively crazy, and he was prettier than Huntsman. That was all he had going for him. And Republicans did lots and lots of moaning about him until it was inevitable that he'd win due to lack of viable opponents, at which point they did what Democrats won't, and rallied.
    At the grassroots level he wasn't all that popular, but from a media and party leadership perspective he was definitely the token boy. Much like Clinton, he had the money and the contacts.

    If she loses the whole Dem base -- which she will -- it doesn't matter.
    You just said most of the Dem base is centrists, moderates, and independents. The voters Hillary appeals to best.

    Here's something I don't think people realize: liberalism is NOT unpopular. What's unpopular is Democrats. Nothing proves that more than the recent midterms (stay with me here). When it came to the actual ballots, people voted overwhelmingly for liberal policies, even while they were also voting for conservative politicians. When it came to candidates, they weren't voting on issues. They were voting on dissatisfaction with Congress, which happened to be Dem-led, so that translated into anti-Dem votes. That doesn't mean they're pro-conservative. They obviously aren't. Look how they voted on the issues.

    And perhaps part of the reason Dems are having such a hard time winning anything is because they keep REJECTING liberalism. Liberalism is popular. People want liberal reform. But the Democrats just keep moving further and further right, cutting off their own voting base for the sake of pandering to the Republican noise machine that keeps calling them commies for absolutely no reason. I mean, what have the Dems done lately that's even left of center, let alone communist?

    The Dems are hurting themselves by refusing to field liberal candidates.
    Hear hear!

    Yeah, and now everyone knows that he developed Alzheimer's while he was a seated president. People won't be quick to make that mistake again.
    Fair point.

    Hillary has struggled in popularity since she first came on the scene. Bill's good will hasn't extended to her in the past, and there's no reason to believe it will now. What do you want to bet that if she gets the nomination, we'll be hearing that "baking cookies" comment on repeat from every GOP commercial for 6 months straight?
    Mehhh, I can definitely see your point but that has just not translated into the general attitude I've seen from the party. Everyone is Ready for Hillary and while there are a few progressives rooting for Sanders/Warren and a few left-libertarians rooting for Webb, most seem to be lining up behind Clinton.

    Maybe, if he's populist enough. But I think it's a bad move, if for no other reason than putting him up is an obvious play to appear more center-right, even if he really isn't. And for reasons I explained above, I think that continuing to try to play the center-right is suicide for the Democratic party.
    Playing center-right is bad, I agree, but he's not center-right. He's actually quite liberal on the economics. He is rather like Warren in that he is an outspoken critic of Wall Street and income inequality. Where I see him making a difference is guns/immigration for the independent cons and civil liberties/foreign policy for the libertarians.

    Ultimately, when it comes to discussing what's a viable strategy, we both have to keep in mind that most of the American public won't vote like you, or like me, for that matter. So what we think is a good idea isn't necessarily what will win.
    True, true.

    Personally, I think the Dems should play liberal. However, I don't think my kind of liberal could ever win. It will be a platform-based liberal, not a progressive, or a left-libertarian.
    Also true.

  3. #23
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,627

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    I won't vote in this poll since I am not trending toward a Democratic Party nominee. However, in the event that the Republicans select someone like Rand Paul, I will jump to the Democrats if they nominate Hillary or someone like Biden or Webb.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-28-14 at 07:57 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #24
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,627

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    On top of that, Clinton would run into the same problem in 2016 that McCain ran into in 2008, being of the same age at the time: is she too old? She'd be in her mid-70's by the end of her first term, and that concerns some people when it comes to appointing someone to the most stressful job in the world, known to triple the speed at which people age.
    That is something to consider. Democrats really do have a problem with old leaders, due to their younger-than-average base. If this were a Republican, I would say age is a benefit (which is also more in line with my sympathies).

    Personally, I would wish Democrats toss aside their disproportionate emphasis on young people and hone in on those who were a bit older, but I suppose that's an outsider's perspective.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #25
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    04-15-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Dont much care but it occurs to me that...
    HRC has too much baggage and no charisma
    Webb is running for vp
    Biden is an idiot
    Sanders is too much of a communist
    Leaves Saquagea Warren who only a donkey can take seriously.

    Got anyone else ? Maybe one with any sort of credibility ?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,912
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    So there is a pretty popular thread where posters are discussing their likely choices for a Republican nominee. Thought I'd start one for the Democrats. So, here we are. Who do you favor to win the 2016 Democratic primary?
    Here is the latest polls on the Democratic Nomination:

    RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Democratic Presidential Nomination

    With more than a year to go before the primaries, the polls above mean little except to show where things stand now. But the nomination seems to be Hillary's to lose if she wants it baring some unforeseen happening or event. The favorite to win the Democratic nominations by about 9-1 odds has to be Hillary at this point in time.

    But who would I like to win? I think Hillary, Webb or Biden would reach across the aisle and try to work with the other side, so any of those three would be fine with me. Sanders is way out of touch with my political views and ideology, but I respect his honesty. A politician being honest is about as rare as water on the sun. I would be fine with him also. Warren, O'Malley and Cuomo are as far out of touch as Sanders without the honesty. Enough said.

    Now if they held the Georgia Democratic Primary today and I was to vote in it, I would vote for Webb and if he wasn't around for whatever reason, then Hillary followed by Biden.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    03-08-15 @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    59

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    I have never voted Democrat in a presidential election before. I voted for Ralph Nader in 2008 and Gary Johnson in 2012. With that being said, I would definitely vote Democrat if they put up either Jim Webb or Bernie Sanders.

  8. #28
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,139

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    At the grassroots level he wasn't all that popular, but from a media and party leadership perspective he was definitely the token boy. Much like Clinton, he had the money and the contacts.
    I saw no passion for him from anywhere whatsoever. Not in life, not on DP, and not in the media.

    You just said most of the Dem base is centrists, moderates, and independents. The voters Hillary appeals to best.
    No -- I said there's enough of them for it to make a difference. And a LOT of those independents are actually liberals who left the party because the Dems aren't actually liberal anymore.

    The centrists are impossible to predict. They're all over the place. Any candidate will get at least some of them.

    The moderates? Well, look. It's really unlikely anyone in the GOP field is going to appeal to most moderates. Plus, they're a minority within a minority. The Dems need to stop worrying so much about them, and focus on actually being Democrats -- something they haven't done for at least 20 years.

    Mehhh, I can definitely see your point but that has just not translated into the general attitude I've seen from the party. Everyone is Ready for Hillary and while there are a few progressives rooting for Sanders/Warren and a few left-libertarians rooting for Webb, most seem to be lining up behind Clinton.
    Like Romney, I see no enthusiasm for her in life, or on DP, or from within her party. The moaning of "dynasty!" has already begun, and she hasn't even decided if she's going to run yet.

    Playing center-right is bad, I agree, but he's not center-right. He's actually quite liberal on the economics. He is rather like Warren in that he is an outspoken critic of Wall Street and income inequality. Where I see him making a difference is guns/immigration for the independent cons and civil liberties/foreign policy for the libertarians.
    Yeah, but we're talking about Democrats. His gun stances are losing propositions right out of the gate, and so are at least some of his immigration stances. Appealing to libertarians is a completely foolish thing to do. For every libertarian they gain, they're going to lose 2 Democrats, because they have virtually no stances in common apart from gay marriage. So what good does that do them? Guns alone won't be enough to sway libertarians. His fiscal policy will switch most of them right off. If he wants them, he's going to have to give up twice as many Democrats. That's foolish.

    Looking a little closer at him, he's also going to have some problems with women and gays based on some prior votes and work he did (some decades ago, and some rescinded, but that won't stop them). Most Dems won't point this out because they're running as "Republican Lite," but if there's a real liberal in the field, you can bet they're going to hammer on it as hard as the day is long, and it's going to cost him even more Dems.

    If there is even one real liberal in the race, Webb is toast.

    Do I think that's entirely legit? No. But that's what's going to happen, because that's the American public, and that's American politics.

    You might like something -- and I might too, in some cases -- but that doesn't mean it's a viable strategy in a national, remember?

    I can conceive of a halfway viable strategy for Webb, but I can also conceive of much better candidates who have a much better chance of actually winning, without costing Democrats their own people and forcing them to make up the difference by trying to sway people from some other party.

    If Dems want to win, they need to stop trying to appeal to cons or libertarians or whatever else, and just appeal to Dems. The fact that they don't is why they lose so much.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-28-14 at 08:26 PM.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,467

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    If Dems want to win, they need to stop trying to appeal to cons or libertarians or whatever else, and just appeal to Dems. The fact that they don't is why they lose so much.
    Both parties fault at trying to appeal to their extremes.

  10. #30
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,139

    Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Both parties fault at trying to appeal to their extremes.
    Appealing to mainstream liberals is not extreme. And that is what the Dems have failed to do for the majority of the last 20 years.

    Most Dems these days plot to the right on a political compass. Forget "extremes" -- they've moved so far away from liberal that it's almost like they're trying to grab RINO's instead of their own party.

    The Democrats' problem is that they don't appeal to anyone.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •