View Poll Results: Is it OK for businesses to strike

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 76.19%
  • No

    3 14.29%
  • no opinion

    1 4.76%
  • no body should strike

    1 4.76%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Again, your argument states outright that businesses would pick up the slack. We are talking about entire industries no longer existing and you actually think businesses would just pick up the slack? There is no one in the industry. It literally doesn't exist anymore. Other players would have to come into the field which would take time and a considerable amount of money. Do you actually think you can just say, oh, we can deal with the crushing starvation and wait around for someone else to enter the field?
    Where there is demand, there are always people who will supply that demand.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,478

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    If it's OK for workers to strike when they are unfairly treated by business, then is it OK for businesses to strike when unfairly treated by government?

    I didn't read the book, and only saw the first two "Atlas Shrugged" movies, but in both, major corporations just shut down, on strike, when the government kept pushing them.

    I thought about this idea after seeing the Walmart strike thread.
    When has business been treated unfairly treated by government?

  3. #23
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    That may have been one side issue of the book...but the main thrust of the book was "us vs. them"...and the 'us' were she portrayed as the right-thinking people, as opposed to the 'them', the lazy good-for-nothings who were running the world into the ground.
    There may be some truth in that.

    What I have seen over the last several decades, is that voters don't vote for what is best for society as much as they vote for what is best for them. I believe to protect from the lazy harming the world, we need to regulate voting. My libertarian side hates regulation until they become necessary, and I believe this may become necessary. We need to disallow voting by people who rely on subsidies. All they ever vote for are politicians and measures that give them more of other people's money.

    I have been saying for years that the America I knew and grew up with is doomed to fail. My reasons are because of the "me, me, me" attitude of voters.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Where there is demand, there are always people who will supply that demand.
    Yes, but should one large business close it's doors, how long until others can pick up the slack?

    What type of lead time do you think there is?

  5. #25
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    When has business been treated unfairly treated by government?
    Are you serious?

    Often, regulations and taxes. How many businesses fail just because they cannot compete with cheaper imports? Imports have added shipping costs, but lower costs bringing products to market.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Where there is demand, there are always people who will supply that demand.
    That's great and all, but you still have to deal with the time from when the businesses went on strike to when someone came along and took their place. The effect felt by society because of the strike would be a considerable factor on how long that took.

  7. #27
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    If it's OK for workers to strike when they are unfairly treated by business, then is it OK for businesses to strike when unfairly treated by government?

    I didn't read the book, and only saw the first two "Atlas Shrugged" movies, but in both, major corporations just shut down, on strike, when the government kept pushing them.

    I thought about this idea after seeing the Walmart strike thread.
    No reason why a business can't strike, but I also don't see a reason why they'd want to. A strike would be more harmful to a business than helpful. I can't see any individual business that would cause significant disturbance by going on strike without damaging its own reputation.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    That may have been one side issue of the book...but the main thrust of the book was "us vs. them"...and the 'us' were she portrayed as the right-thinking people, as opposed to the 'them', the lazy good-for-nothings who were running the world into the ground.
    Yes, it was. What people might not know is that there is actually real world examples of places where people were used by the community at large and as a result they left. It's not something that could probably happen on a large scale like all of the US, but it has happened on much smaller scales before.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    No reason why a business can't strike, but I also don't see a reason why they'd want to. A strike would be more harmful to a business than helpful. I can't see any individual business that would cause significant disturbance by going on strike without damaging its own reputation.
    Well, in the movie, the government laid down regulations that completely tied the hands of business. In an attempt to keep the economy going, businesses could not... lets see if I recall this correctly... could not raise prices, wages, or employment levels. Had to manufacture a given rate rather than what demand dictated.

    I don't remember all the details, but laws were passed to make industry slave to government.

    There would be no reason for industry to do such today, unless the progressives get their socialist ways.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,478

    Re: A question regarding Atlas Shrugged

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Are you serious?

    Often, regulations and taxes. How many businesses fail just because they cannot compete with cheaper imports? Imports have added shipping costs, but lower costs bringing products to market.
    Completely serious. Regulation and taxes while occasionally burdensome are not inherently unfair.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •