View Poll Results: When is violent protest justified?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

    2 3.39%
  • Never

    24 40.68%
  • Under certain conditions (please explain)

    33 55.93%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 173

Thread: When is violent protest justified?

  1. #141
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    If your human or civil rights are being attacked and your legal means haven't yielded results for ~20 years, what do you do next?
    That's the thing: I'm often going to be critiquing your bona fides. You may claim that your civil rights have been violated, but am I and everyone else just expected to accept that as you resort to violence (which could be directed at us or our communities)?

    It's one thing to advocate for your cause and feel the need to be violent, but it's an entirely different thing if we're expected to in turn condone or accept violence directed toward us or our society. More often than not, I'll be standing on the opposite side hoping that we clamp down on your violent intentions.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-26-14 at 03:01 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #142
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    If citizens exhaust nonviolent means of protest and it becomes clear that those in power will not change their behavior, what would be the next step?
    A lot of extreme if's to answer this question however it would have to get pretty bad for me to get violent and once I got violent it would no longer be to protest, it will be me trying to change those in power.

  3. #143
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    If citizens exhaust nonviolent means of protest and it becomes clear that those in power will not change their behavior, what would be the next step?
    Go off on your own- start a war, and fight it until one side comes out the victor. Make your violence legitimate- violence and destruction upon those within your own society is not acceptable. I have absolutely no urge to accept your violence against me otherwise. If I can legally take up arms against you, because you are determined to get your way, then lets do it all the way.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Okay, thanks for clarifying. With that in mind, what would be your next response if all nonviolent means failed to remove or decrease the systemic threat for ~ 20 years?
    that really depends on the severity and scope of the threat...but it's very possible that , at some point, folks would cease to care about justifiably altogether and just do what they gotta do.

    humans are pretty decent about sticking to principles... but we're also pretty good at tossing them aside when it become a matter of urgency.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    That's the thing: I'm often going to be critiquing your bona fides. You may claim that your civil rights have been violated, but am I and everyone else just expected to accept that as you resort to violence (which could be directed at us or our communities)?

    It's one thing to advocate for your cause and feel the need to be violent, but it's an entirely different thing if we're expected to in turn condone or accept violence directed toward us or our society. More often than not, I'll be standing on the opposite side hoping that we clamp down on your violent intentions.
    I didn't ask you about my civil rights, I asked you about your civil or human rights. This means that civil or human rights that you have already accepted as being threatened. I'll ask the question again and I would appreciate it you would answer it directly : If your human or civil rights are being attacked and your legal means haven't yielded results for ~20 years, what do you do next?

  6. #146
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Go off on your own- start a war, and fight it until one side comes out the victor. Make your violence legitimate- violence and destruction upon those within your own society is not acceptable. I have absolutely no urge to accept your violence against me otherwise. If I can legally take up arms against you, because you are determined to get your way, then lets do it all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    that really depends on the severity and scope of the threat...but it's very possible that , at some point, folks would cease to care about justifiably altogether and just do what they gotta do.

    humans are pretty decent about sticking to principles... but we're also pretty good at tossing them aside when it become a matter of urgency.
    Good points. Thanks for being patient and answering all of my questions.

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    A lot of extreme if's to answer this question however it would have to get pretty bad for me to get violent and once I got violent it would no longer be to protest, it will be me trying to change those in power.
    I think that's a good articulation of the line that is cross when protests transform into violence - the motives start to shift. People are no longer just trying to express disapproval.

  8. #148
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Now when I am talking violence, I am not talking violence like is now happening in the US or has happened in the Middle East. I am talking about not allowing the police to stop a demonstration by forcing your way through a barricade or throwing up barricades so that the police cannot remove you from your protest site. Defending yourself from violent attempts to stop a demonstration can also be legal as long as they do not go over the top.

    Violence should be attempted to be avoided at all times, but forcing yourself into a government office to get your grievances heard in cases where this is not possible through legal or democratic means, then yes, that is the violence I am talking about. Standing up for yourself with force.
    "Standing up for yourself with force" is a good way to put it and I appreciate your specification of the sort of violence that you consider, for lack of a better word, legitimate. I think I lean towards your perception of this.

  9. #149
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's called "insurrection" and you should only try it when death is literally better than living within the system.
    What about when the system and death are equal?

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: When is violent protest justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    If vegetarians take over governments and ban the consumption of meat you can bet Im gonna violently protest.
    I don't think you'll have to violently protest. I don't think the vegetarians would survive the first millisecond in office.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •