View Poll Results: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, Welfare state.

    0 0%
  • Im a left leaning American, Welfare state.

    17 45.95%
  • Im not American, Welfare state.

    4 10.81%
  • Im a right leaning American, Night-watchmen state.

    16 43.24%
  • Im a left leaning American, Night-watchmen state.

    0 0%
  • Im not American, Night-watchmen state.

    0 0%
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 244

Thread: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

  1. #231
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Look, YOU are the one who brought up red states using welfare, I have demonstrated who is using them (far out of proportion) so stop the dancing and cries about red herring.
    Still struggling are you? Red states do use welfare. What went over your head was the fact that individuals don't fund, run or budget welfare programs. That's why your statement dishonestly missed. Who runs/budgets state welfare programs? State politicians, state departments, and legislators do. Who funds them? The federal government. As such, that's what the welfare state designation is about.

    It's about how many states (and their politicians) use far more than they give while advocating for smaller government. So I ask one last time before I'm done thrashing you as I normally do: Why is it that state budgets and state programs in Republican welfare states do not reflect the ideas of the politicians who have the power to defund them?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-28-14 at 06:35 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Still struggling are you? Red states do use welfare. What went over your head was the fact that individuals don't fund, run or budget welfare programs. That's why your statement dishonestly missed. Who runs/budgets state welfare programs? State politicians, state departments, and legislators do. Who funds them? The federal government. As such, that's what the welfare state designation is about.

    It's about how many states (and their politicians) use far more than they give while advocating for smaller government. So I ask one last time before I'm done thrashing you as I normally do: Why is it that state budgets and state programs in Republican welfare states do not reflect the ideas of the politicians who have the power to defund them?
    Your convolution betrays you. Give it up home boy-nobody is buying it.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Your convolution betrays you. Give it up home boy-nobody is buying it.
    Lol, I accept your defeat.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Lol, I accept your defeat.
    What you say into the mirror is not my concern.

  5. #235
    User ThesisQuasar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-15 @ 01:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Look, YOU are the one who brought up red states using welfare, I have demonstrated who is using them (far out of proportion) so stop the dancing and cries about red herring.
    No you haven't. You have merely stated what you want to think is the case, but you have not provided any evidence. How can you claim to have demonstrated something without evidence?

    Hatuey on the other hand has provided loads of evidence from different sources, And last I remember, RealClearPolitics doesn't conjure up information either (at least that I know of). You have completely failed to provide counter-evidence to dispute Hatuey. Because it is so persistent, you have firmly demonstrated how much you like to suck up to your own ignorance.

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThesisQuasar View Post
    No you haven't. You have merely stated what you want to think is the case, but you have not provided any evidence. How can you claim to have demonstrated something without evidence?

    Hatuey on the other hand has provided loads of evidence from different sources, And last I remember, RealClearPolitics doesn't conjure up information either (at least that I know of). You have completely failed to provide counter-evidence to dispute Hatuey. Because it is so persistent, you have firmly demonstrated how much you like to suck up to your own ignorance.
    I did indeed provide a link to the Maxwell poll, consistent with prior polls. Dems simply use welfare at a rate 2-4+ times the republican population. Its hardly news worthy.

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    The welfare state requires that some people forcibly take the money from some in order to hand it over to others. I was always taught that it's wrong to take from others. Thus, I can't support the welfare state, as it requires robbing Peter to pay Paul.

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    The welfare state requires that some people forcibly take the money from some in order to hand it over to others. I was always taught that it's wrong to take from others. Thus, I can't support the welfare state, as it requires robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Thats exactly it, robbing from Peter to pay Paul...and thats somehow presented as virtuous.
    In the mean time, polls show that these same advocates give less to charity-further undermining their argument.
    In either case its unacceptable.

  9. #239
    User ThesisQuasar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-15 @ 01:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Thats exactly it, robbing from Peter to pay Paul...and thats somehow presented as virtuous.
    It's not Robbing peter to pay Paul, it's Peter, Paul, and everyone else realizing they live in a society, and to create a society with the highest standard of living, they must pitch in. What is the point of society if not to obtain a higher standard of living for all members? Why not do that in the most universal and guaranteed way possible? We live in modern societies with vast resources, Why not funnel our enormous wealth to create a positive feed-back loop via welfare. It is senseless not to, especially in this era.

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    In the mean time, polls show that these same advocates give less to charity-further undermining their argument.
    No it doesn't. Charities help selective groups of people. Welfarist would prefer more people, not less get helped at the same time, and in a guaranteed manner. Charities are highly dependent on the bias of the one giving charity, so Charities don't ensure that all the needy get help, especially when people don't care about a little-known disease.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThesisQuasar View Post
    It's not Robbing peter to pay Paul, it's Peter, Paul, and everyone else realizing they live in a society, and to create a society with the highest standard of living, they must pitch in. What is the point of society if not to obtain a higher standard of living for all members? Why not do that in the most universal and guaranteed way possible? We live in modern societies with vast resources, Why not funnel our enormous wealth to create a positive feed-back loop via welfare. It is senseless not to, especially in this era.
    No, if a common thug decided to rob people to help his neighbors you would not say his actions were justified because he used what he stole to help others, but would instead see him as a thief. It is no different for the government. It does not change the nature of the act because the government uses what it has stolen to help people. It is still the actions of a thief and men and women are still robbed of their property no matter if the intent of the theft was for noble ends or not.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •