View Poll Results: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, Welfare state.

    0 0%
  • Im a left leaning American, Welfare state.

    17 45.95%
  • Im not American, Welfare state.

    4 10.81%
  • Im a right leaning American, Night-watchmen state.

    16 43.24%
  • Im a left leaning American, Night-watchmen state.

    0 0%
  • Im not American, Night-watchmen state.

    0 0%
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 244

Thread: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    If 'big government' made it worse, then why is it that the biggest government-funded stimulus in American history - WWII - got us out of the Depression instead of sending us even deeper into the Depression?
    Markets correct. And it could be argued that govt intervention against these corrections dont solve anything, they make them worse.
    Heres a tongue in cheek (but clever) synopsis of that argument.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    This seems quite reasonable to me, why isn't it more popular? Is it because people have been conditioned to think the govt is the source of all things good?
    I'm not sure why it's not more popular. It saddens me to realize how many people are happy to have people violate others on their behalf. I don't think they ask themselves, "Would this action that I'm asking others to do be ethical for me personally to do?"

  3. #113
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Paying at the end of a govt rifle isn't really my thing. Im not a fan of coercion. And in any case the entitlement welfare state has got to go for numerous reasons.
    If you really hate taxes, then go live in a third-world nation where you'll pay little or no taxes. But if you want to live here, you've gotta pay that price of admission that is otherwise known as high taxes.

    I mean, really, you think you're entitled to have all the benefits of life in America without paying the taxes that are necessary to maintain that standard of living??? Seems to me that the ones with an entitlement fantasy are those who think that they can have all the benefits of life in a first-world democracy while paying little or no taxes!
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #114
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Why do you say this? Its not the same as the absence of charity or support, its just not from the govt.
    Private charity isn't sufficient to meet the basic needs of the general populace. Government involvement in the economy, whether it be in the form of environmental standards, public accomodation laws or supplemental income assistance, is vital in promoting macroeconomic growth and preventing social unrest, alongside fulfilling a moral good.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    If you really hate taxes, then go live in a third-world nation where you'll pay little or no taxes. But if you want to live here, you've gotta pay that price of admission that is otherwise known as high taxes.

    I mean, really, you think you're entitled to have all the benefits of life in America without paying the taxes that are necessary to maintain that standard of living??? Seems to me that the ones with an entitlement fantasy are those who think that they can have all the benefits of life in a first-world democracy while paying little or no taxes!
    Seriously? You're taking about taking peoples property to raise your standard of living and you're honestly calling other people entitled? Are you for real?

  6. #116
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Markets correct. And it could be argued that govt intervention against these corrections dont solve anything, they make them worse.
    Heres a tongue in cheek (but clever) synopsis of that argument.
    Wrong answer! If you'll check, 'market forces' took a back seat during WWII. The government went very deeply in debt because of WWII. According to conservative economic dogma, all that SHOULD have driven us farther down into the Depression.

    But it didn't.

    What's more, according to conservative economic dogma, the 90% top marginal tax rate during the 1950's (and 70% until 1980) SHOULD have been utter disaster for the economy.

    But it wasn't.

    In other words, all you're doing is tossing out philosophical arguments...but the real-world RESULTS say something completely different.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #117
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    My views are formed empirically. In a way its evidence of our own success, this self-hate is seen after several generations of financial success, most often where the individual takes the things he's earned for granted. Its a fascinating dichotomy to me.
    I sincerely doubt your views are 'formed empirically'. They can't be, unless you've walked a mile in liberal moccasins. I've lived both sides of the story - I was a strong conservative until my early 30's, and having been one, I know how conservatives generally think.

    Have you ever truly been a liberal? If you have not been one, then how do you get off pretending you know how we think?
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Wrong answer! If you'll check, 'market forces' took a back seat during WWII. The government went very deeply in debt because of WWII. According to conservative economic dogma, all that SHOULD have driven us farther down into the Depression.
    War also boost your economy when you blow the rest of the world into oblivion. It also helps when you move away from the gold standard and to a system of counterfeit money. Not that I support the gold standard either since it was just a different system promoted and put in place by bankers.

    As for the tax rates you just sighted, they are nothing but numbers on a piece of paper as no one paid them.

  9. #119
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The war on poverty has been every bit as destructive and failed as the war on drugs.
    Tell that to all the other first-world socialized democracies that have far fewer homeless people, thanks to their anti-poverty campaigns.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #120
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: Welfare state vs the night-watchmen state-which do you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    You really gotta watch those assumptions - I don't resent the prosperous, because I am prosperous myself.

    But I'm still waiting - as I have for years - for the small-government crowd to show me ANY first-world nation that has the conservative trifecta of small government, low effective taxes, and little or no regulation. After all, if the almighty market forces are as strong as we all know they are, then NONE of the big-government welfare states would be first-world nations...

    ...but instead, ALL of the first-world nations are big-government welfare states.

    Why is that?

    And if you can't answer, don't let that worry you...because no other small-government conservative has ever been able to answer that, either.
    Big government is easy to vote for, because that's how politicians get elected and re-elected by giving away the only commodity govt has..... money. Frankly I doubt you knew the answer.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •