View Poll Results: Could you deport them personally or not?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think I could do it.

    31 51.67%
  • No, I don't think I could.

    29 48.33%
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 383

Thread: Deportation Question.

  1. #81
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That assumes that the country of origin will take the kids back when the parents are repatriated. I know Mexico does, but its all dependent on the country of origin's immigration laws. The kids in the scenario in the OP are US citizens while the parents are illegal, US citizens cannot just up and move anywhere, the host country has to agree to take them.
    You're forgetting these are minor children. You know children born of Guatemalan or Mexican citizens also have Guatemalan or Mexican citizenship status. Same is true throughout South America. When they get older and apply for their US citizenship re-entry, part of the process is deciding to drop that other citizenship they are entitled to.

  2. #82
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, because it's an ongoing enterprise.
    No, one only crosses the border in a single instance. That is where the federal government has authority. Once entry has occurred, however, the issue reverts to a State issue, as per the constitution.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #83
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    No, one only crosses the border in a single instance. That is where the federal government has authority. Once entry has occurred, however, the issue reverts to a State issue, as per the constitution.
    No, being in country illegally is federal, and it's not just entry, it's continuing to be here. We know it's federal because AZ was slapped down for thinking things were as you state. Otherwise overstaying your visa wouldn't make you an illegal alien.

  4. #84
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,424

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You're forgetting these are minor children. You know children born of Guatemalan or Mexican citizens also have Guatemalan or Mexican citizenship status. Same is true throughout South America. When they get older and apply for their US citizenship re-entry, part of the process is deciding to drop that other citizenship they are entitled to.
    Not all South American countries are on this list: List of Countries Allow/Restrict Dual Citizenship
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #85
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, being in country illegally is federal, and it's not just entry, it's continuing to be here. We know it's federal because AZ was slapped down for thinking things were as you state. Otherwise overstaying your visa wouldn't make you an illegal alien.
    Overstaying one's visa is essentially a single action occurring the moment one has overstayed said visa. Duration of time that occurs since committing the crime has no bearing on the matter. It's not a continuous crime.

    AZ ****ed up because they sought to enforce federal laws, not pass their own laws.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #86
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The kids go with them.
    Personally, I don't disagree, but with the ways our laws are currently constructed I don't think we can do that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #87
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A man and his wife sneak across the border illegally from Mexico. After they live here for a couple of years they have a couple of kids. The kids are now age 9 and 13 and have lived here their whole lives. They don't speak much Spanish. They are enrolled in school and like all kids have friends and play sports and so on. The parents however have never obtained legal status despite the fact they have lived and worked here for 15 years.

    It's entirely up to you, could you personally walk into their home, arrest the parents in front of their kids, bring them up before an immigration hearing where you sit as judge, and then deport them back to Mexico?
    No, and I'm appalled by those who say they could. Exile two children to a country they don't even speak the language of, despite the fact that they committed no crime, and despite their citizenry in the United States? That is just blind hackery, with no attention to the nuance of reality. It's a sign of the sickness, gang-like mentality, and lack of intelligence of our political discourse that this is considered a reasonable enough position to even speak it in public.

    Assuming they were otherwise law abiding, I would offer some kind of path to legality for the parents. As a compromise, I would be willing to consider having said legality only go so far as residency contingent on behavior, or last for only as long as their children are dependent. But honestly, I would need to be convinced to consider that. I have long been of the belief that being a citizen of the world should be much easier for any decent person than it often is. I have much personal experience with how difficult and even intentionally tormenting it is, for absolutely no legitimate reason, in my opinion.

  8. #88
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You're forgetting these are minor children.
    Minor US citizens. Can't open pandora's box of deporting natural born US citizens. And since they have done exactly the same thing as every other natural born US citizen in history to earn their citizenship, there's no logical reason to deny them that which they have equally not earned.

    When they get older and apply for their US citizenship re-entry, part of the process is deciding to drop that other citizenship they are entitled to.
    Natural born US citizens do not need to apply for entry. They are natural born US citizens. Nor do they have to relinquish dual citizenship.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #89
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I am all for strengthening security at the border and am closer to the mainstream Republican position on illegal immigration than I am the mainstream Democratic position on it, but despite the fact the parents broke the law in coming here and live here illegally, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing I put a family through that by deporting them. That I think is the fundamental problem with dealing with illegal immigration, many times deporting people does indeed break up families and while its easy to take a hardline in the abstract, its hard to do it if it was actually on you.
    Part of the reason this has become such an issue is precisely because we have been too lax for so long. It's like with anything else when humans are involved, give an inch and people will take a mile. The only way to get people taking our laws seriously again is to begin actually enforcing them... and unfortunately there would be some hard choices to make to get it going.

    If we're not willing to do that, then we should stop pretending and throw the borders open and repeal the laws.

    I don't like the idea of putting otherwise good families through this, but I also believe that we need to have and control access to our country. Nobody will take us seriously unless and until we take it seriously.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #90
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,424

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Part of the reason this has become such an issue is precisely because we have been too lax for so long. It's like with anything else when humans are involved, give an inch and people will take a mile. The only way to get people taking our laws seriously again is to begin actually enforcing them... and unfortunately there would be some hard choices to make to get it going.

    If we're not willing to do that, then we should stop pretending and throw the borders open and repeal the laws.

    I don't like the idea of putting otherwise good families through this, but I also believe that we need to have and control access to our country. Nobody will take us seriously unless and until we take it seriously.
    Couldn't we show we are serious by really going after those that employ illegal immigrants and doing a better job of securing our border? It seems like we could do that while at the same time recognizing that situations do exist like the one described in the opening post. I think its realistic and practical to go after those that employ illegals and securing our border, I don't its realistic to think we could deport everyone that is already here though.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •