View Poll Results: Could you deport them personally or not?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think I could do it.

    31 51.67%
  • No, I don't think I could.

    29 48.33%
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 383

Thread: Deportation Question.

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    No its not that I don't like the answer, its just that I think the reality of this is far messier than a lot of people are willing to accept.
    Anti-immigrant advocates are unaware of, or choose to ignore, the fact that it is virtually impossible for a poor person to immigrate to the USA legally. It costs tens of thousands of dollars and several years of waiting while the potential immigrant's children go hungry and live with the threat of violence.

  2. #52
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    There is no comparison to the crime of murder or rape and being an illegal alien who has committed no crime outside of the way that he entered the country. If he pays his taxes, is a good and upstanding person and a positive influence in community then I see no reason to punish the children in such a horrendous manner. Fine him if you want, but imprisoning him? Cost the US society more money and further compromising the prison system by jailing a totally non violent person, that is just insane. Let him pay money as a fine but jailing him is just too extreme and not right.
    That's just plain silly. Fine him and let him go on being here illegally? We're not talking about jailing him, we're talking about deporting him. The point wasn't to equate crimes with one another but to point out to those not catching a clue, that families of criminals suffer when we enforce the law, ANY law. That's not an excuse or a mitigating circumstance.

  3. #53
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    There is no comparison to the crime of murder or rape and being an illegal alien who has committed no crime outside of the way that he entered the country. If he pays his taxes, is a good and upstanding person and a positive influence in community then I see no reason to punish the children in such a horrendous manner. Fine him if you want, but imprisoning him? Cost the US society more money and further compromising the prison system by jailing a totally non violent person, that is just insane. Let him pay money as a fine but jailing him is just too extreme and not right.
    Firstly, I explained my comparison in a subsequent post - accept it or not.

    Secondly, I said nothing about imposing penalties that aren't already on the books - not once did I suggest they should be imprisoned.

    Finally, I could equate it with squatters. If a group of people or a family take over an unoccupied property and live there for a certain period of time, you wouldn't want them to be removed for trespassing? But they've lived there a long time and gained friends and babies were born etc. etc. Don't they get to keep the place on emotional grounds?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #54
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Anti-immigrant advocates are unaware of, or choose to ignore, the fact that it is virtually impossible for a poor person to immigrate to the USA legally. It costs tens of thousands of dollars and several years of waiting while the potential immigrant's children go hungry and live with the threat of violence.
    "Anti-immigrant"? You invalidate your argument with this lie.

  5. #55
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,367

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A man and his wife sneak across the border illegally from Mexico. After they live here for a couple of years they have a couple of kids. The kids are now age 9 and 13 and have lived here their whole lives. They don't speak much Spanish. They are enrolled in school and like all kids have friends and play sports and so on. The parents however have never obtained legal status despite the fact they have lived and worked here for 15 years.

    It's entirely up to you, could you personally walk into their home, arrest the parents in front of their kids, bring them up before an immigration hearing where you sit as judge, and then deport them back to Mexico?


    Yes.

    The US puts people in prison for a lot less

    If you want immigration laws to mean anything......

    and if you want to close the open door
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #56
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Anti-immigrant advocates are unaware of, or choose to ignore, the fact that it is virtually impossible for a poor person to immigrate to the USA legally. It costs tens of thousands of dollars and several years of waiting while the potential immigrant's children go hungry and live with the threat of violence.
    Another false claim. Those who oppose illegal aliens are not "anti-immigrant advocates" - that's a crock tossed up by those who advocate amnesty for criminals. Most people on the right fully support legal immigration where it improves the economy and social well being of the country.

    If it takes too long and costs too much, that's readily fixable without abandoning the rule of law.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    "Anti-immigrant"? You invalidate your argument with this lie.
    Are you saying that you favor significantly expanding the quotas for legal immigration so that nearly any person, even a poor person, with a clean criminal record can come to the USA with only a reasonable amount of effort and cost required?

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Another false claim. Those who oppose illegal aliens are not "anti-immigrant advocates" - that's a crock tossed up by those who advocate amnesty for criminals. Most people on the right fully support legal immigration where it improves the economy and social well being of the country.

    If it takes too long and costs too much, that's readily fixable without abandoning the rule of law.
    I don't recall any signs saying "Make legal immigration easier" at anti-illegal alien rallies. I have never heard of a strong opponent of "illegal aliens" support expanding refugee status or taking any other measure that would make immigration easier and the process more fair and accessible for low-income people. Half of the strongest opponents of "illegal aliens" are bigoted against Hispanics, although most will lie about that.

  9. #59
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    In a heartbeat.

    Let me pose one to you: Say a man, age 20, sexually assaults a woman, avoids getting caught, lives an exemplary life for 30 years...pillar of his community...3 kids, one still in high school, etc., and then, new evidence connects him to the crime. Should he be charged? Should he go to trial? If found guilty, should he be sentenced?
    What a stupid comparison. I think most people would agree that someone coming here illegally looking for work is not the same thing as a rapist.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #60
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Are you saying that you favor significantly expanding the quotas for legal immigration so that nearly any person, even a poor person, with a clean criminal record can come to the USA with only a reasonable amount of effort and cost required?
    No, I'm not in favor of that, but then that wouldn't make me anti-immigrant. In fact I absolutely adore and support legal immigrants to this country. I've known many in the course of my life, married one.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •