View Poll Results: Could you deport them personally or not?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think I could do it.

    31 51.67%
  • No, I don't think I could.

    29 48.33%
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 383

Thread: Deportation Question.

  1. #31
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,411

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It's not a catch 22, you just don't like the answer.

    You get right by sneaking back to your own country, and, if you want to return to the US, fill out the paperwork, send it in, and wait till we call you.
    No its not that I don't like the answer, its just that I think the reality of this is far messier than a lot of people are willing to accept.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,343

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    As long as they are law abiding citizenry (not in the legal sense) I could not deport them.
    pb, that's two things they aren't. Law abiding and citizenry.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A man and his wife sneak across the border illegally from Mexico. After they live here for a couple of years they have a couple of kids. The kids are now age 9 and 13 and have lived here their whole lives. They don't speak much Spanish. They are enrolled in school and like all kids have friends and play sports and so on. The parents however have never obtained legal status despite the fact they have lived and worked here for 15 years.

    It's entirely up to you, could you personally walk into their home, arrest the parents in front of their kids, bring them up before an immigration hearing where you sit as judge, and then deport them back to Mexico?
    I would arrest you for kidnapping them

  4. #34
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,678

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    How are they going to get right with the law once they came here illegally? Its something of a Catch-22 at that point.
    Their options are here - Green Card Processes & Procedures | USCIS

    It won't necessarily be a piece of cake but in 15 years it's damned well doable.

    Frankly, I'm all for making the visa process easier. Part of the reason we have such a problem is that the process is a cluster**** but once we get that process smoothed out there shouldn't be any more excuses.

  5. #35
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I don't think theft and coming here illegally looking for work is in anyway morally comparable. As to why the kids are relevant, its because while roughly 1 in 30 of us or so are sociopaths, the rest of us have a conscience and thus splitting families up or tearing kids away from all their friends and the only life they have ever known simply because their parents came here illegally decades before, is something that most people could not do if they had to do it themselves.
    That happens on a daily basis around the US. Someone who has avoided capture and arrest for their crimes is discovered and their families almost always suffer for it too. Families are separated and the kids often lose their current way of life. That's all on those selfish criminals, entirely. The same is true of illegals. Your search to provide them with a sob story that is sufficient to make enough hearts bleed is noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I have thought lately about why president's as ideologically far apart as Obama, Bush Sr, and Reagan all basically granted amnesty to immigrants that formed families here, and I think its because regardless of one's political beliefs most of us have a conscience and have to be able to sleep at night, and when these things are on you personally, its hard to rationalize breaking up families.
    Reagan did no such thing, the congress granted amnesty to illegal aliens, not immigrants.
    Last edited by clownboy; 11-24-14 at 06:32 PM.

  6. #36
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,411

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    We don't uphold laws based on whether the accused have kids or not. And I think the entire point of your argument is that you think everyone who is here illegally hasn't done anything wrong. That's your choice and I have a different opinion but still respect yours. But please don't try to make it appear as it's something other than that.
    I never argued they haven't done anything wrong. I am saying that its messy, a lot messier than a lot of people will acknowledge. Moreover, we actually do delay prison sentences in some cases for parents with kids, particularly single parents with kids, depending on the crime.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #37
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Yeah sure, I would like to see you send parents back to China and kids into an orphanage here. Big talk but I doubt you could do it.
    I could, and easily. I'd feel for the kids that their parents were such ****birds, but I feel for all kids whose parents are selfish ****birds.

  8. #38
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    No its not that I don't like the answer, its just that I think the reality of this is far messier than a lot of people are willing to accept.
    Every law is messy when it is enforced.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,551

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A man and his wife sneak across the border illegally from Mexico. After they live here for a couple of years they have a couple of kids. The kids are now age 9 and 13 and have lived here their whole lives. They don't speak much Spanish. They are enrolled in school and like all kids have friends and play sports and so on. The parents however have never obtained legal status despite the fact they have lived and worked here for 15 years.

    It's entirely up to you, could you personally walk into their home, arrest the parents in front of their kids, bring them up before an immigration hearing where you sit as judge, and then deport them back to Mexico?
    I'm getting some mixed messages from your description. If they've only been here a couple of years, how is it that the kids are 9 and 13 have been here their whole lives? If Mom and Dad speak Spanish at home, how is it that the kiddos don't speak their parent's language? Plus, there are some unanswered questions: How are the parents supporting themselves and their kiddos? Are they working, paying taxes, bringing home paychecks, or are they dependent on charity?

    As a former teacher who had a lot of illegals in my classes, I wouldn't want to have deported kids who have learned the language, who have been here most of their lives, who want to stay in the US and continue their schooling. I've had some students, however, who had no interest in learning English, didn't want to be in school, and would rather have returned to their native land. I wouldn't want to be the one to deport the parents either, if they're working and paying their own way.

    But, if the kiddos would rather have gone back home, if the parents weren't contributing to their new country, then I'd have deported them in a heartbeat if the law would have allowed it.

    Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for some of them) I didn't have that authority anyway.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #40
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,411

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm getting some mixed messages from your description. If they've only been here a couple of years, how is it that the kids are 9 and 13 have been here their whole lives? If Mom and Dad speak Spanish at home, how is it that the kiddos don't speak their parent's language? Plus, there are some unanswered questions: How are the parents supporting themselves and their kiddos? Are they working, paying taxes, bringing home paychecks, or are they dependent on charity?

    As a former teacher who had a lot of illegals in my classes, I wouldn't want to have deported kids who have learned the language, who have been here most of their lives, who want to stay in the US and continue their schooling. I've had some students, however, who had no interest in learning English, didn't want to be in school, and would rather have returned to their native land. I wouldn't want to be the one to deport the parents either, if they're working and paying their own way.

    But, if the kiddos would rather have gone back home, if the parents weren't contributing to their new country, then I'd have deported them in a heartbeat if the law would have allowed it.

    Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for some of them) I didn't have that authority anyway.
    I am saying the parents have lived and worked here illegally for 15 years (most likely on duplicate Social Security numbers) so they are not charity cases, but just the same they are not living and working here legally. Many of the the Hispanic kids at my kids schools speak little Spanish despite the fact their parents speak Spanish, I think that's all a question of whether the parents speak Spanish in the home or not.

    As a side note, you summed up my position on the issue perfectly.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •