View Poll Results: Could you deport them personally or not?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think I could do it.

    31 51.67%
  • No, I don't think I could.

    29 48.33%
Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 383

Thread: Deportation Question.

  1. #321
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The law does not determine morality, only legality. Many morally acceptable acts are illegal and many immoral acts are legal.
    Yes and no. Laws are pretty much always passed on the idea that the offending activity is immoral. Your second sentence is merely our individual judgement after-the-fact, as you're likely to get different opinions from different people regarding said acts.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #322
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The OP is about whether you could personally do it. It has nothing to do with public policy.
    That makes no sense. If you are the guy with arrest authority and deportation capability whose job it is to burst in on people, then it is your job to enforce public policy.

    It's like asking "Let's say that you find yourself a member of one of the units slated for the push in 2003, but don't personally agree with the idea of invading Iraq. Do you follow orders, even though you think it's the wrong policy move?". Your opinion of the policy is irrelevant. It is your function to enforce it.

    What makes sense at the macro level can get pretty messy at the individual level and that was my only point in the poll. For example, I can completely empathize with why someone from a country like Honduras would do everything they could to come here in an attempt to find work and have a better life. I also recognize that coming here illegally is probably the only way they would be able to come here because if you are poor, its very hard to immigrate to the United States legally.
    Roughly a million people a year seem to figure it out. It is probably much easier to do illegally. The same is true for many things. For example, if I wanted a nice watch, I could work extra hours, save the money in a bank, build up an account over the course of a year or two, and then spring for a really expensive watch..... or I could find a rich guy wearing one and rob him. The latter is indeed easier.

    That said, I don't think we should have an immigration system that makes it easy for poor unskilled labor to immigrate here and I think we should make it as difficult as possible for someone to come here and work here illegally.
    ...unless they have children? How does that make sense? Now you're just setting up an incentive structure for the same unskilled low-income labor to flood here and then immediately have children they can't afford, meaning that they will also immediately go on our public assistance programs.

    Just because I can empathize with why someone would come here illegally does not mean that I think we can take on the world's poor and desperate. I don't have to demonize illegal immigrants to be against illegal immigration.
    True enough.

  3. #323
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If the law is the law, then let's pull over all of those drivers going 80 mph in the 70 zone. There are millions of them, too.
    The law is the law. If you get pulled over for 80 in a 70, all the appeals to "everyone else does it" will not help you. Not even if you have kids.

  4. #324
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,480
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I thought that when I was typing it, but then I couldn't think of anywhere where it wasn't the case. Can you? I mean other than here in the US. AFAIK everywhere else, citizenship follow parentage.
    I was pretty sure that being born in Canada made you Canadian so I looked in Wikipedia (yeah, I know, but their sources are usually good) and found this... "Canadian nationality is typically obtained by birth in Canada, birth abroad when at least one parent is a Canadian citizen and was born or naturalized in Canada, or by adoption abroad by at least one Canadian citizen. It can also be granted to a permanent resident who has lived in Canada for a period of time."

    I think this might be the reason for a lot of dual citizens- say, American parents and a child born in Canada so the kid has dual citizenship.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  5. #325
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,480
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    This is a great starting point. Will there be exceptions? Maybe. But dropping a kind on American soil should not be sufficient for citizenship.
    It's not, is it, for the parents. But if being born in America doesn't make you American, what does? Is one American parent enough?
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  6. #326
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,600

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    A lot of progress could be made by targeting the larger businesses in the fields that have a recent history of exploiting illegal immigrant workers for enforcement, ie. agriculture, construction and meat packing.
    That would be a good start.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #327
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Carolina del Norte
    Last Seen
    07-06-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Deportation Question.

    You must admit that you can hardly target businesses for using slaves. You would have to destroy the entire USA. Would you still import goods from Indonesia, Bangladesh, Mexico, that have been using child labor or underpaying workers or breaking laws supposedly upheld in the states proper? I no longer make any real distinction between what goes on in Bangladesh in a garment factory and what happens inside the USA.

    So much global industry is run by slaves, you can hardly stop it without running up against the wall of big business, which is a mafia. You cant cross them.

    http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cn...es-to-slavery/

  8. #328
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,480
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Explain further. Do you mean resident aliens? If they are not Americans then the child is not either.
    Okay. In Canada we have a status called 'landed immigrant'. They haven't taken out citizenship because the haven't been here long enough or they don't want to give up their previous citizenship for whatever reason- up to them. If they have a child in Canada the child is eligible for citizenship, can even have dual citizenship, depending, but it's all a non-issue. Why does it look so huge to you?
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Okay. In Canada we have a status called 'landed immigrant'. They haven't taken out citizenship because the haven't been here long enough or they don't want to give up their previous citizenship for whatever reason- up to them. If they have a child in Canada the child is eligible for citizenship, can even have dual citizenship, depending, but it's all a non-issue. Why does it look so huge to you?
    By combining anchor babies with chain migration the illegal alien is in charge of our immigration system. By eliminating the anchor baby interpretation and overturning chain migration the American citizens, represented by the Congress, will regain control of immigration.

    The nation belongs to its citizens, not to the illegal alien.

    Canada is welcome to do whatever it wants.

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    It's not, is it, for the parents. But if being born in America doesn't make you American, what does? Is one American parent enough?
    I think it is pretty clear that one must be born to American parents or to those who are legally in the US. Anchor babies combined with chain migration are subverting the nation. We need to fix this problem.

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •