View Poll Results: Could you deport them personally or not?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think I could do it.

    31 51.67%
  • No, I don't think I could.

    29 48.33%
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 383

Thread: Deportation Question.

  1. #121
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It could put the family in a difficult situation, couldn't it? If the parent's native land won't take the children as immigrants, then one country considers the parents to be illegal, the other considers the kids to be illegal.
    It looks like its quite a problem. US: Parents of American Children Summarily Deported | Human Rights Watch
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #122
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    How self centered? Well, rather than come here legally via many different legal means, they came here illegally, knowing that some day they might be deported. Allowing their children to live under such circumstances is despicable and the lowest of lows. These people have broken the law every minute they have been in this country, which is also a hell of an example to give to their children.

    If Aunt Lupe doesn't exist, then they have a decision to make. Relinquish custody to the state or other responsible party, and leave them here, or take them back with them. That reality was sealed by them when they chose the cowards way out and came here illegally.
    Easy argument to make when you were one of the 4.4% of people on this earth lucky enough to be born American. I suppose that took a lot of bravery on your part to choose to be born here rather than in some third world ****hole. Of course, being you made that choice to be born here, you now get to be entitled to judge those that weren't and call them cowards when they come here looking for work and a better life.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #123
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Sure, since there are just so many ways for people living in third world poverty to come to the US legally. Sure.
    There are many ways. If it's war torn, they can apply on humanitarian grounds. There are plenty of others.

    The fact they chose to ignore all of them proves who they are, and who they were thinking of. Obviously having children here, while living under the shadow of potential deportation seals the deal. Extreme greed and self centeredness.

    Kind of explains the culture prevalent in the countries they left.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    What a terrible situation.

    You'd think the party of family values would put a stop to such abuses by liberals, wouldn't you?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #125
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    What a terrible situation.

    You'd think the party of family values would put a stop to such abuses by liberals, wouldn't you?
    Its just a mess, no easy answers that's for sure.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #126
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Easy argument to make when you were one of the 4.4% of people on this earth lucky enough to be born American. I suppose that took a lot of bravery on your part to choose to be born here rather than in some third world ****hole. Of course, being you made that choice to be born here, you now get to be entitled to judge those that weren't and call them cowards when they come here looking for work and a better life.
    What a load of BS.

    So were the founding fathers of this country a bunch of privileged lucky folks, or did they fight and die to overcome the tyranny of their oppressors, and secure freedom and opportunity for all who followed?

    These illegals came here knowing they were breaking the law. They have been rolling the dice every day since they made that decision. To feel sorry for their greedy self centered action is pathetic.

    They want people to cry for their poor little children who might suffer for the actions they took? They want people to give them even more rewards for stealing what they have since coming here?

    Absurd. They didn't come here for work and a better life, they came here to steal what isn't theirs, thinking nothing about the harm their action might later cause their children.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    There are many ways. If it's war torn, they can apply on humanitarian grounds. There are plenty of others.

    The fact they chose to ignore all of them proves who they are, and who they were thinking of. Obviously having children here, while living under the shadow of potential deportation seals the deal. Extreme greed and self centeredness.

    Kind of explains the culture prevalent in the countries they left.
    There are not many ways. It is extremely difficult to immigrate to the United States, and lots of people who would like to do so. We can't possibly take them all on and continue as a modern nation.

    That's why we need real immigration reform that acknowledges that our government has been ignoring the problem for decades, that there are millions of people who would come here in a heartbeat if they could, and that our federal government needs to step up to the plate and put an end to illegal immigration once and for all. Neither separating families, nor deporting people who have lived their whole lives in the US, nor a blanket amnesty for all comers, nor a continuation of the current situation is in the best interests of the Unites States.

    If only we had a functioning Congress, perhaps such reform could be passed.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #128
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You do know those are state, not federal laws. Even so, Cephus's statement still holds. When those laws were valid and enforceable and you were caught doing it, you were charged and prosecuted.
    Yes I know they are state laws, but that distinction in moot to the discussion. I was merely pointing out that generalizations such as "breaking the law is breaking the law and people deserve to be held accountable...." can be an absurd position.

    The sodomy laws continue in those states today.... the past tense "were" is not correct. I doubt many would advocate enforcement of those laws based on the notion "breaking the law is breaking the law and people deserve to be held accountable...."

    There are tons of laws on the books that are not enforced, should not be enforced or are not practical to enforce. Repeal of these laws is often problematic, usually because of the politics. Intelligence in a government official is in prioritization of resources to best address the spirit of the law. Intelligence amongst all of us is found in nuance; not in generalization.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 11-25-14 at 12:31 PM.

  9. #129
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A man and his wife sneak across the border illegally from Mexico. After they live here for a couple of years they have a couple of kids. The kids are now age 9 and 13 and have lived here their whole lives. They don't speak much Spanish. They are enrolled in school and like all kids have friends and play sports and so on. The parents however have never obtained legal status despite the fact they have lived and worked here for 15 years.

    It's entirely up to you, could you personally walk into their home, arrest the parents in front of their kids, bring them up before an immigration hearing where you sit as judge, and then deport them back to Mexico?
    A situation divorced from context is not necessarily an honest (that is a bad word, I'm not trying to suggest you are attempting to dissemble - perhaps "not as fully accurate with regards to the necessary inputs" or some other such awkward formulation) question.

    I would answer your question with another question:

    Should we punish hard working, law abiding citizens and non-citizens by encouraging illegal behavior that depresses their wages and makes it harder for them to get jobs?




    Sadly, the parents in this scenario made decisions that forces us to choose between their good, the good of their children, and the good of those who don't brake the law, but who are harmed by their actions. The unfortunate reality of the choice to enforce the law is on their heads, not the States or, in this example, the person walking in and making the decision.

  10. #130
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    What a load of BS.

    So were the founding fathers of this country a bunch of privileged lucky folks, or did they fight and die to overcome the tyranny of their oppressors, and secure freedom and opportunity for all who followed?

    These illegals came here knowing they were breaking the law. They have been rolling the dice every day since they made that decision. To feel sorry for their greedy self centered action is pathetic.

    They want people to cry for their poor little children who might suffer for the actions they took? They want people to give them even more rewards for stealing what they have since coming here?

    Absurd. They didn't come here for work and a better life, they came here to steal what isn't theirs, thinking nothing about the harm their action might later cause their children.
    They lived in a dangerous place with no opportunity and came here looking for work its as simple as that. Its easy to judge people when you get be born here and get all the benefits in life that go along with that.

    Regardless of whether we should deport them or not, the argument you are using is so xenophobic its bordering on sociopathic in its total lack of empathy.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •