View Poll Results: Could you deport them personally or not?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think I could do it.

    31 51.67%
  • No, I don't think I could.

    29 48.33%
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 383

Thread: Deportation Question.

  1. #101
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here. Consider this, American citizen parents in Guatemala have a child. That child has US citizenship AND Guatemalan citizenship. Since this is a minor, the child's actual citizenship follows the parents' choice. But you know in that situation, when returning to the US the parents must file for the child's US citizenship, renouncing his/her Guatemalan citizenship.

    Now Mexico and every other South American nation doesn't require that last part, the MINOR child inherit the citizenship of their parents AND their birth country.

    So again, this particular plea for sympathy isn't working.
    I know how the system works, we did foreign adoption twice. I would like to see some evidence that every other South American country grants citizenship based on the citizenship of the parents even if that child is born and lived their entire life in a different country. As every country has its own laws in regards to citizenship, I find it hard to believe that every single Latin American country allows minors to inherit the citizenship of the parents.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is Mexico, not every country has the same laws in regard to citizenship though.
    Most countries follow "Natural Law" aka "Law of Nations." Son follows the condition of his father.

  3. #103
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I know how the system works, we did foreign adoption twice. I would like to see some evidence that every other South American country grants citizenship based on the citizenship of the parents even if that child is born and lived their entire life in a different country. As every country has its own laws in regards to citizenship, I find it hard to believe that every single Latin American country allows minors to inherit the citizenship of the parents.
    Everyone born in Colombia acquires Colombian nationality, as long as at least one parent is either a Colombian citizen or resident in Colombia.

    A child born outside Colombia who has at least one Colombian parent can be registered as a Colombian national by birth, either upon returning to Colombia (for residents) or at a consulate abroad (for non-residents).
    Colombian nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    You can wiki all the other South American nations yourself. The policy is the same throughout the region.

  4. #104
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,055

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Absolutely I could and I would. Breaking the law is breaking the law, people deserve to be held accountable for their actions, period.
    OK..... so you are all in favor of rounding up anyone that has had oral sex or anal sex in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Utah and bringing them before a judge to "face the music" as, after all, breaking the law is breaking the law, people deserve to be held accountable for their actions, period

    12 states still ban sodomy a decade after court ruling

    There are many arcane, stupid, unenforceable and not practical to enforce laws on the books. In all things judgement must be applied....

  5. #105
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Anti-immigrant advocates are unaware of, or choose to ignore, the fact that it is virtually impossible for a poor person to immigrate to the USA legally. It costs tens of thousands of dollars and several years of waiting while the potential immigrant's children go hungry and live with the threat of violence.
    Forget a poor person. In some cases it's not even possible for the middle class.

    I am immigrating to probably one of the toughest countries to immigrate to, and I think the only one that's tougher is the United States.

    The only reason this was possible for me is because I was able to absorb what could have potentially been an enormous financial loss. I could have been out for all that money and wound up being denied anyway, unable to recoup any of what I spent. They expect you to just blindly gamble. This whole process took me a year, and that is considering that I was able to meet the demands of the process immediately every step of the way. Not everyone is so lucky. If you have to work your way through it, it can easily take 2 years, or 3, or more.

    Even some people of means would not have been able to take that risk. It splits up families all the time -- even middle class families -- in cases of cross-national relationships. And I see absolutely no reason why wealth should be the measure of one's fitness to be a good resident or citizen. It's stupid tribal, classist nonsense.

    And immigrating to the US is even worse than what I just went through.

    We give people citizenship simply for being born, but reject decent people perfectly able to support themselves and split up families across oceans or continents simply for not being wealthy. I see no valid reason to reject someone of good legal standing, self-supporting ability, and who speaks the language passably well. I see no reason a global world shouldn't encourage global citizenry. I see no reason to split children from one of their parents, possibly for years. I see no reason to cut off one's nose to spite their face, rejecting motivated young talent who want to come to this country and make it, simply because they haven't yet.

    These people have no idea what it's like. It's just blind tribalism and fear of some kind of imaginary "other." The law is not always right, and does not always deserve to stand. This is one of those cases. Our laws are those of a previous century and they need to join the 21st. Blindly supporting stupid and harmful laws is intellectually lazy and mindless, lacking any sort of critical thinking, and is the death of progress for any society.

  6. #106
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A man and his wife sneak across the border illegally from Mexico. After they live here for a couple of years they have a couple of kids. The kids are now age 9 and 13 and have lived here their whole lives. They don't speak much Spanish. They are enrolled in school and like all kids have friends and play sports and so on. The parents however have never obtained legal status despite the fact they have lived and worked here for 15 years.

    It's entirely up to you, could you personally walk into their home, arrest the parents in front of their kids, bring them up before an immigration hearing where you sit as judge, and then deport them back to Mexico?
    I would prefer sending them to prison first before deporting them.IF they want their kids then they are free to take their kids with them. I do not care how long they allegedly managed to evade deportation or if they popped out some kids. Those things are irrelevant. If I robbed Fort Knox and evaded authorities for several years I do not get to keep the gold and go unpunished. If I borrowed money from you and weaseled out of paying for you for several years my debt to you is not canceled. If you hid an affair from your wife for several years it doesn't make that affair kosher and alright in her eyes.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Anti-immigrant advocates are unaware of, or choose to ignore, the fact that it is virtually impossible for a poor person to immigrate to the USA legally. It costs tens of thousands of dollars and several years of waiting while the potential immigrant's children go hungry and live with the threat of violence.
    "Anti immigrant" ???

    Don't you mean anti illegal alien or pro nation of laws supporters ?

    But you are wrong, most of America's immigrants are due to chain migration and the majority of these legal immigrants over the past couple of decades are poor, uneducated and unskilled.

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,079

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A man and his wife sneak across the border illegally from Mexico. After they live here for a couple of years they have a couple of kids. The kids are now age 9 and 13 and have lived here their whole lives. They don't speak much Spanish. They are enrolled in school and like all kids have friends and play sports and so on. The parents however have never obtained legal status despite the fact they have lived and worked here for 15 years.

    It's entirely up to you, could you personally walk into their home, arrest the parents in front of their kids, bring them up before an immigration hearing where you sit as judge, and then deport them back to Mexico?
    them being hear doesn't sound any worse then other Americans being hear

  9. #109
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    OK..... so you are all in favor of rounding up anyone that has had oral sex or anal sex in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Utah and bringing them before a judge to "face the music" as, after all, breaking the law is breaking the law, people deserve to be held accountable for their actions, period

    12 states still ban sodomy a decade after court ruling

    There are many arcane, stupid, unenforceable and not practical to enforce laws on the books. In all things judgement must be applied....
    You do know those are state, not federal laws. Even so, Cephus's statement still holds. When those laws were valid and enforceable and you were caught doing it, you were charged and prosecuted.

  10. #110
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,177

    Re: Deportation Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Sorry, I should have written this in 2 responses, one for apacherat who said jail them and one to you for comparing their illegal entry to justice for people who have been murdered/raped.

    But your squatting comparison also does not really fly in this case because people born inside the United States are natural born Americans. So their children are natural born citizens (or at least that is what the 14th amendment states and as far as I have read so far this has never been ruled on by the supreme court when illegal aliens are involved, so as for now the 14th amendment is in play here) of the United States.

    When a child is born in a squatted home it does not legally give them rights to that house, but children who are born in the US are US citizens and they do have rights that come with that citizenship. And they get those rights on legal grounds.
    That's perfectly fine - I didn't say the children should be deported - where would American citizens be deported to? I did say that I would have no problem deporting the parents - the criminals in the scenario provided in the OP. When a father commits any crime, we don't penalize the children so why would I suggest it in this scenario. But let's be realistic - if a father commits any crime and is punished, the spouse and children are often unintended victims of his crime because they too may lose the life they've come to know. They may lose their house, their lifestyle, their friends - doesn't seem fair, does it? They didn't do anything wrong. But we're not going to start allowing people with family obligations to commit crimes and only punish the loners.

    The simple solution in this case is to deport the parents, place the minor children with legal relatives in the country or a willing foster home until such time as the parents complete the legal process for immigrating to the US. After all, those who enter your country illegally don't seem to care about leaving their families behind while they set up base in America, do they? Nor do they seem to have a problem sending their children to your country alone to hook up with relatives or friends, as this year has clearly proven.

    Bottom line, you're getting played by emotional blackmail.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •