View Poll Results: Who were the good guys in Nam

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • North Viet Nam was the good guys

    2 8.33%
  • America was the good guys

    8 33.33%
  • There were no good guys

    14 58.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Viet Nam who were the good guys

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Viet Nam who were the good guys

    I am reading Vietnamese Gulag by Doan Van Toi and it makes me think if I was in Nam during the wars with the French and then the US I would have been on the side of the north and fought Americans. Doan was a good communist kid who ends up in a Gulag after America leaves and becomes very disenchanted with who he chose in the war but that is another story. He grew up in a small village constantly bombed by the French and then the Americans who also installed a puppet regime in the South that did nothing but harm the people. He also watched as his society turned into nothing but whores and thieves as the American presence grew.

    I know I know, THEIR were no good guys not there. Don't start on me.
    Last edited by lifeisshort; 11-24-14 at 10:05 AM.

  2. #2
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    Highly argumentative, each side will claim they are the "good guys" and suggest issue with the opposition. At the same time just because less than honorable things were done by some on both sides, that does not mean everyone else is guilty by association just because it is mentally elementary to make that connection.

    You are going to find hundreds, perhaps thousands, of stories and accounts written about Vietnam. My advice is to take them for what they are, keep them in context, and separate for yourself those making the commands from the confines of politics that lead to these atrocities and those told to actually carry out those plans.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    To me, wars rarely creates "good guys"

    And when you look across the entire conflict... You find very little good was done.

    Nobody comes out of that war looking good.

    (By the way I was speaking more broadly and not about specific individuals, but about nations).
    Last edited by Jetboogieman; 11-24-14 at 10:18 AM.

  4. #4
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,309

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    I am reading Vietnamese Gulag by Doan Van Toi and it makes me think if I was in Nam during the wars with the French and then the US I would have been on the side of the north and fought Americans. Doan was a good communist kid who ends up in a Gulag after America leaves and becomes very disenchanted with who he chose in the war but that is another story. He grew up in a small village constantly bombed by the French and then the Americans who also installed a puppet regime in the South that did nothing but harm the people. He also watched as his society turned into nothing but whores and thieves as the American presence grew.

    I know I know, THEIR were no good guys not there. Don't start on me.
    The Vietnamese people were the good guys. I will tell you a short story. I was in Saigon around 1965/66 and in conversation with a bar girl I liked because she spoke pretty good English and we had some great conversations. You have to understand that I was and ignorant kid of 22 that thought our government told the truth and that we were in Vietnam to help the people. Like you're gonna help someone by bombing the **** out of them, eh? Anyway, in one discussion I mentioned Ho Chi Minh, the Communist leader. She replied, "Ah Yes, Ho Chi Minh, same same you George Washington." I, of course said, NO, NO he's the bad guy. "NO, she repeats , same same you George Washington." She was just stating the common wisdom because Ho had kicked out the French and then asked the USA for help and instead we helped them by bombing the **** out of them. She was one of the good guys and she and I remained friends and after I was out of Nam, I had time to collect my thought, analyze the data, and conclude that whatever the war was about, it was not to help the Vietnamese. I keep that in mind whenever I hear we're spreading freedom and democracy because that is bull****. "War is good business, and business is good."

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    To me, wars rarely creates "good guys"

    And when you look across the entire conflict... You find very little good was done.

    Nobody comes out of that war looking good.
    If you were a young Vietnamese kid in the 60s what side do you think you would have chosen?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The Vietnamese people were the good guys. I will tell you a short story. I was in Saigon around 1965/66 and in conversation with a bar girl I liked because she spoke pretty good English and we had some great conversations. You have to understand that I was and ignorant kid of 22 that thought our government told the truth and that we were in Vietnam to help the people. Like you're gonna help someone by bombing the **** out of them, eh? Anyway, in one discussion I mentioned Ho Chi Minh, the Communist leader. She replied, "Ah Yes, Ho Chi Minh, same same you George Washington." I, of course said, NO, NO he's the bad guy. "NO, she repeats , same same you George Washington." She was just stating the common wisdom because Ho had kicked out the French and then asked the USA for help and instead we helped them by bombing the **** out of them. She was one of the good guys and she and I remained friends and after I was out of Nam, I had time to collect my thought, analyze the data, and conclude that whatever the war was about, it was not to help the Vietnamese. I keep that in mind whenever I hear we're spreading freedom and democracy because that is bull****. "War is good business, and business is good."
    Very good story and what I am gleaning from the book I mentioned.

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    If you were a young Vietnamese kid in the 60s what side do you think you would have chosen?
    Hard to say, probably would depend what kind of family I was from, where I lived, what our occupation was etc...

  8. #8
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    The Vietnamese people were the "good people". They had every right to decide the fate of their country.


  9. #9
    User avatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:55 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    133

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    IMO it is not possible to reduce the Vietnam wars to good or bad people. They were simply people doing what they thought was right. In many cases they were just people trying to survive. Sorry, but it is my opinion that most looking back from to lofty heights of today tend to ignore the people who lived there. Many others simply use a version of history that was not available to the average person then.

  10. #10
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,700

    Re: Viet Nam who were the good guys

    You need to debate which gov't was worse, not which people was worse. In the end, you end up with a choice between a gov't that wanted some freedom for it's people vs. one that made it crystal clear that once they took power, they would slaughter those who opposed them. Neither were "good guys", but the North was vastly worse then the South. This issue has become so politicized and so one-sided that people forget just why there was any intervention in the first place. It wasn't some idiotic idea about starting war to make money or get rid of poor/minorities, it was a simple fact that an ally of ours went through a grossly crooked election and the winning side decided to slaughter the losers. When you couple that with a few of the neighboring countries threatening to do the exact same thing if the same "party" took control there and you have a massive humanitarian crisis. Had we not stepped in, Pot Pot's killing fields would have happened in about 1962 and would have been seen in Laos, Cambodia and Viet Nam (possibly Thailand/Burma as well). Instead of a couple million people being killed, you end up with tens of millions dead and even more living under horrific oppression.. So we step in and start to fight a war that we weren't prepared for and that got massive bad press. But what happened after we left was undeniable proof that we were on the better of the two sides.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •