Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    No I actually cleRly stated the illegals need to go......

    Here we go with Detroit again, about the only real argument you have, well cities like Seattle and San Francisco in Boston and numerous other cities you think of as liberal cities are doing very well economically. Detroit's problems are kind of like LA his problems they really result from corruption and not from actual application of Liberal policies
    Hey EMNofSeattle,

    I sent you a PM.

  2. #32
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The notion suggests that we can do only one thing at a time.
    Which is what seems absurd to me, I personally don't see them as mutually exclusive. In fact, I think the concept of amnesty would save plenty of federal dollars, that could thereby be used for veterans benefits.

  3. #33
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    There is no way that illegal immigrants pay more money in taxes than how much it takes to support them especially when their children are on welfare programs attending our public schools and a third of all prison inmates in the biggest state in the country are illegal immigrants.
    Before jumping down that rabbit hole, I'm wondering if this is purely conjecture or if you have some credible sources to verify that claim?


    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    There will be far more benefit to society of all that employment was done by American citizens who are working under the protection of our labor laws including our wages and overtime protections. Legalizing the current wave of illegal immigrants will only serve to increase the market for minimum wage labor while at the same time encouraging another 5 million illegals to go subminimum wage again right behind them. At the time of the last big amnesty in the early 90s we had 4 million illegal immigrants in the country now we have three times that many so yes there will probably be another 30 million illegal immigrants in 20 years
    Honestly, if those numbers are correct, we've only seen a 2% increase in the illegal immigrant population- relative to the overall national population, since 1990.

    However, if they were legalized and granted permanent residency there would be a statistically insignificant population of illegal immigrants in the U.S. and those that are here could start actually lobbying to work for jobs paying above minimum wage.


    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    unless we begin cracking down on border enforcement and departing the ones here. So when are there too many wires that is it when we have to start developing national parks developing public lands to house them eventually at some point there's too many people offer to few dollars The best solution is to encourage them to improve their own countries.
    Aside from the hyperbole of developing our national parks on account of illegal immigration, do you seriously want to be the one to pay for increased border protection, because I sure don't.

  4. #34
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    I have a question for all those that support granting amnesty for all the illegals.
    Once we go ahead and make the current group of people here illegally no longer illegal but make them citizens or some other label than what do we do 10 years from now when we have a whole new group of people here illegally. Do we go ahead and just make them legal as well. Do we continue you this forever, basically just make this an open border country. There is no country in the world that has open borders as far as I know and there is probably a reason for it. No country can support a never ending flow of low skill or no skill workers. Once we let this group of people stay here and as they as some of you are claiming can now demand a higher wage why would companies not want to hire all the folks that come in to the country the day after we grant this current group amnesty.
    Also do you honestly think that giving millions of people here illegally amnesty will not give the people contemplating risking crossing the border one more reason to go for it. How will that not accelerate the problem and create an even larger illegal population.
    President Franklin Roosevelt eulogized a fallen American Soldier by saying, “He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die [that] freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it he lives--in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

  5. #35
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    You say they are supporting themselves, but that ignores the fact that many of these people are working jobs, below minimum wage and are barely surviving, living multiple people to one room. Nearly a third of illegal immigrants live in poverty. (Undocumented Immigrants Aren’t Who You Think They Are | FiveThirtyEight)

    So they may be getting by as you say, but in reality they are eking our and existence.
    So if they do so bad and life is so hard, why do they go to the US in the first place?

  6. #36
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    So you think that people should literally just eke out an existence? I agree that people shouldn't think that jobs are beneath them, however the problem arises when you can pay people below minimum wage and the minimum wage itself isn't anything anyone can survive off of.
    If the choice is eke out an existence or die, which would you chose?

  7. #37
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    So if they do so bad and life is so hard, why do they go to the US in the first place?
    That's easy. Because it's even worse where they're from, that's why.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #38
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That's easy. Because it's even worse where they're from, that's why.
    So it is better for them but not acceptable for that other poster.

  9. #39
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    If the choice is eke out an existence or die, which would you chose?
    So you are OK with people eking out an existence and thus having to depend on public assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    So if they do so bad and life is so hard, why do they go to the US in the first place?
    Because at least the US isn't essentially a failed state?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  10. #40
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Are Veterans Benefits and Immigration Reform mutually exclusive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That's easy. Because it's even worse where they're from, that's why.
    I'm not buying that anymore. For most of them there are better places than where they are from a whole lot closer. Where the money they pay coyotes to get here would go a hell of a lot farther.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •