View Poll Results: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 55.17%
  • No

    2 6.90%
  • Other

    11 37.93%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 115

Thread: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    You say something, someone requests your source for said information, you provide a book or magazine as your source. If a book you might even provide an Amazon or Barnes & Noble link. For a magazine, of course you provide which issue. (It does need to be reasonably obtainable)

    Is that a valid source?

    I say it is, and eff you if it doesn't satisfy your laziness-inspired desire for a clickable link. You wanted a source and you got one. Get over it. The ball's now in your court.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,375

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Depending on the author, a book is acceptable. Magazine, no.

    Of course, for sports information and non-controversial stuff, just about anything is acceptable (and debatable) as long as the source is not known garbage.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 11-22-14 at 06:58 PM.

  3. #3
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Depending on the author, a book is acceptable. Magazine, no.
    That would apply to ANY source, paper or internet.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #4
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,375

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That would apply to ANY source, paper or internet.
    Not really. Some source mediums are simply not acceptable, no matter who they claim wrote the article, like magazines.

    Note my edit above.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Both are acceptable sources since both books and magazine articles can relay statistical, empirical, anecdotal and other information that can be used to support an argument. Just like all sources, the veracity of the arguments made in the book or magazine article are subject to scrutiny, but there isn't anything inherently untrustworthy about either.

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Not really. Some source mediums are simply not acceptable, no matter who they claim wrote the article, like magazines.

    Note my edit above.
    What, specifically, makes a magazine any less reliable than a book or an internet article?


    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Both are acceptable sources since both books and magazine articles can relay statistical, empirical, anecdotal and other information that can be used to support an argument. Just like all sources, the veracity of the arguments made in the book or magazine article are subject to scrutiny, but there isn't anything inherently untrustworthy about either.
    I agree with this. When I see some people get all indignant over having a book cited I sense it's more to do with the fact that they can't remain in their recliner and click on a link, and that disputing the source would involve actual work on their part.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,592

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Other- it depends on many things such as if the work is opinion or fiction. Many of James Michener's or Tom Clancy's books are a mix of fact and fiction (histirical fiction?) so they may be good references in some cases but pure BS in others.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,128

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Nope. Only Breitbart and Media Matters are acceptable.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  9. #9
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,375

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What, specifically, makes a magazine any less reliable than a book or an internet article?
    One can find critiques of a book, not so of a magazine article.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    You say something, someone requests your source for said information, you provide a book or magazine as your source. If a book you might even provide an Amazon or Barnes & Noble link. For a magazine, of course you provide which issue. (It does need to be reasonably obtainable)

    Is that a valid source?

    I say it is, and eff you if it doesn't satisfy your laziness-inspired desire for a clickable link. You wanted a source and you got one. Get over it. The ball's now in your court.
    No. You have to spend 2-3 years writing a book of your own and it has to be peer reviewed by at least 20 people with a Doctorate degree but even then it's really not valid if I disagree with you. The book or magazine is fine.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •