View Poll Results: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 55.17%
  • No

    2 6.90%
  • Other

    11 37.93%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 115

Thread: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,683

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    No college allows magazine citations. It doesn't matter who writes it. Go to their reviewed material and cite that.

    The reason someone esteemed and academically published would write in a magazine is because such a format permits under-substantiated speculation.

    So, use their reviewed material.
    It doesn't matter to me what a college permits. I'm not writing a thesis. It matters what I have researched on my own and found to be substiantiated. Will I listen to an acedemic or read their paper or article? Sure. Will I accept it on its face? Probably not. I will still cross confirm. I'll also listen to other sources that have something to say. I cross source those also.

  2. #62
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70,190

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It matters what I have researched on my own and found to be substiantiated.
    Are you a Truther?

    Any critical thinker knows better than to trust their own limited knowledge in establishing the credibility of work. You don't think just maybe something might slide past you? What are you, omniscient?

  3. #63
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It doesn't matter to me what a college permits. I'm not writing a thesis. It matters what I have researched on my own and found to be substiantiated. Will I listen to an acedemic or read their paper or article? Sure. Will I accept it on its face? Probably not. I will still cross confirm. I'll also listen to other sources that have something to say. I cross source those also.
    Would also depend on the subject. If we're debating a political subject here on DP, for example, sure there might be some facts like place and time, but the conclusions are still subjective opinion.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  4. #64
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70,190

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    How in the hell did we ever know anything was true, back in the day?
    The same way we do today, by professional reviews. Not, as Truthers would tell you, by figuring it all out and knowing everything about everything all by yourself - because, you know what, that's not ****ing possible.

  5. #65
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    04-24-18 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Would also depend on the subject. If we're debating a political subject here on DP, for example, sure there might be some facts like place and time, but the conclusions are still subjective opinion.
    That is the rub of it. I find more interesting facts in the things that I disagree with than the things I agree with. Doesn't change my bias on an issue. Facts can be be argued a lot of different ways.

  6. #66
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    04-24-18 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The same way we do today, by professional review. Not, as Truthers would tell you, by figuring it all out and knowing everything about everything all by yourself - because, you know what, that's not ****ing possible.
    You have a very antiquated view of "Today". With Amazon and others' print on demand services, most anybody can write a book and have it published. That it has a lot of words and can sit on a shelf has nothing to do with the quality of the content.

  7. #67
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70,190

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    You have a very antiquated view of "Today". With Amazon and others' print on demand services, most anybody can write a book and have it published. That it has a lot of words and can sit on a shelf has nothing to do with the quality of the content.
    It doesn't matter who writes it. If a book is of any consequence, it will have professional reviews. Those reviews might completely discredit the book, the important thing is that professional reviews exist for books and they do not for magazine articles.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 11-22-14 at 10:25 PM.

  8. #68
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    04-24-18 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It doesn't matter who writes it. If the book is of any consequence, it will have professional reviews. Those reviews might completely discredit the book, the important thing is that professional reviews exist for books and they do not for magazine articles.
    You still ignore that "professional reviews" are paid reviews and that magazine articles get widely circulated in the internet and receive lots of commentary, positive and negative by professionals and lay folks alike.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,683

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Would also depend on the subject. If we're debating a political subject here on DP, for example, sure there might be some facts like place and time, but the conclusions are still subjective opinion.
    You, sir, are correct. Most subjects are subject to opinion, even those acedemics would have you believe are settled and not subject to debate.

  10. #70
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70,190

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    You still ignore that "professional reviews" are paid reviews
    Professionals are not paid by the book writer or publisher. By professional reviews, we mean professionals within the field (be that academic or otherwise) that write independent reviews of the work in the course of their profession.

    magazine articles get widely circulated in the internet and receive lots of commentary, positive and negative by professionals and lay folks alike.
    So what? We're talking about people being paid, in the course of their profession, to review material so as to establish validity - not blogs. Actual qualified people putting their career on the line in review of material within their established expertise.

    Searching blogs for comments about an article in Vogue is not the same thing. Do you consider youtube comments to be in line with peer review? wtf
    Last edited by ecofarm; 11-22-14 at 10:35 PM.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •