View Poll Results: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 55.17%
  • No

    2 6.90%
  • Other

    11 37.93%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 115

Thread: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

  1. #31
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No. I was giving you the definition of magazine, one of which is a journal.


    Regardless of your opinion, professional journals fall under the category of magazines.
    Because they are not peer reviewed. Just because a magazine has credential does not make it citation material.

    Try citing a magazine in college, see what happens.

  2. #32
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Um, I wasn't presenting it as a revelation. But as an example of a book I would use to support a point, that I'm not sure if it's been critiqued.

  3. #33
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Not by reputable sources and not in any easily found works. Scientists do not bother reviewing magazine articles - it does nothing for their career and in no way advances science.

    You think a blog review of a magazine article is worth a ****? It's not.
    And articles on the web ARE critiqued? seriously?

    It's not all about scientists reviewing articles - if it's a political article or a historical article, I would want people knowledgeable in those areas to comment on them.

    But to toss out an article because it was in a magazine is as dumb as tossing out something as dailykos or breitbart. Ok, I'm very skeptical about breitbart. But again, one needs to look at the content and look for backup data, just as if it was in a book or a magazine.

  4. #34
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post




    Because they are not peer reviewed. Just because a magazine has credential does not make it citation material.

    Try citing a magazine in college, see what happens.
    I'm not trying to cite anything. I'm participating in this discussion, regarding whether or not magazines and books are credible sources. In a setting such as this, sure. If I were in a professional setting, of course it would be different. When I was in college, I used sources appropriate for that as well. It all depends on what the endeavor is.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #35
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    And articles on the web ARE critiqued? seriously?
    Who told you that.

    It's not all about scientists reviewing articles - if it's a political article or a historical article, I would want people knowledgeable in those areas to comment on them.
    That's nice. Enjoy your blogs. Good luck citing them in an academic setting. I wish I could see you try, that'd be a laugh.

    But to toss out an article because it was in a magazine is as dumb as tossing out something as dailykos or breitbart. Ok, I'm very skeptical about breitbart. But again, one needs to look at the content and look for backup data, just as if it was in a book or a magazine.
    You're one of those "read the blog or you can't say it's useless" people? Sorry, but I don't get fooled into reading garbage on such moronic premise.

  6. #36
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Um, I wasn't presenting it as a revelation. But as an example of a book I would use to support a point, that I'm not sure if it's been critiqued.
    I don't care what you're sure of. The professional critiques of the book are endless.

  7. #37
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post




    Because they are not peer reviewed. Just because a magazine has credential does not make it citation material.

    Try citing a magazine in college, see what happens.
    You are really funny. I cited magazines in college; it depends on the subject and the source. Some topics are so recent that there are no books out on them yet. And certainly you can't claim web sites are any better - or worse - than magazines.

    IT DEPENDS.

    It really does.

    I trust magazines like The New Yorker, New York Review of Books. The Week does a decent compilation of recent items although doesn't hurt to fact-check it. Once Newsweek got rid of its fact-checkers (and possibly before that) I no longer trusted it. I hope it's new emergence is better; I don't read it anymore myself. I trust The Nation, with the understanding it has a particular perspective.

    I don't trust tabloids, but even they can get things right sometimes. But yeah, I don't quote from (or read) stuff like The Star or People Magazine.

    IT DEPENDS. I suggest you write that down and refer to it a few times a day.

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    And articles on the web ARE critiqued? seriously?

    It's not all about scientists reviewing articles - if it's a political article or a historical article, I would want people knowledgeable in those areas to comment on them.

    But to toss out an article because it was in a magazine is as dumb as tossing out something as dailykos or breitbart. Ok, I'm very skeptical about breitbart. But again, one needs to look at the content and look for backup data, just as if it was in a book or a magazine.
    While I agree with your point I would naturally be skeptical, at least initially, of anything presented by DailyKos or Breibart... because they are known to be partisan and would cherry-pick which information they do provide.
    Last edited by radcen; 11-22-14 at 10:44 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Who told you that.



    That's nice. Enjoy your blogs. Good luck citing them in an academic setting. I wish I could see you try, that'd be a laugh.



    You're one of those "read the blog or you can't say it's useless" people? Sorry, but I don't get fooled into reading garbage on such moronic premise.
    So what sources do YOU trust? Only books? you're going to miss out on a lot of current discussions. But that's fine.

    I agree, I don't read Breitbart even when someone points me to it. I admit, I'm biased against it. Doesn't mean it couldn't be right now and then, though.

    By the way - this ISN'T an academic setting.

  10. #40
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I'm not trying to cite anything. I'm participating in this discussion, regarding whether or not magazines and books are credible sources. In a setting such as this, sure. If I were in a professional setting, of course it would be different. When I was in college, I used sources appropriate for that as well. It all depends on what the endeavor is.
    Do you recognize the difference between books and magazines is the availability of professional critical review?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •