View Poll Results: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 55.17%
  • No

    2 6.90%
  • Other

    11 37.93%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 115

Thread: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

  1. #11
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    One can find critiques of a book, not so of a magazine article.
    Ah. It falls into place. You're one of the lazy people who needs to rely on a clickable link. Got'cha.

    Carry on.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #12
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,398

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ah. It falls into place. You're one of the lazy people who needs to rely on a clickable link. Got'cha.

    Carry on.
    Wrong.

    I'm one of the people that does not accept a source that is void of outside critical analysis (such as magazine articles). I'm sure my discernment of sources is superior to yours, given my education dwarfs yours. One shouldn't get personal about things they're ignorant regarding.


    It all falls into place. You're one of those people that thinks he can critically analyze another's work all by himself. You know, one of those people that doesn't understand the purpose of outside review, let alone peer review. You think you know it all and you don't need reviews of material to determine accuracy. And guess what? That's stupid.

    Last edited by ecofarm; 11-22-14 at 10:03 PM.

  3. #13
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Both are acceptable sources since both books and magazine articles can relay statistical, empirical, anecdotal and other information that can be used to support an argument. Just like all sources, the veracity of the arguments made in the book or magazine article are subject to scrutiny, but there isn't anything inherently untrustworthy about either.
    Exactly. Depends on the book or magazine.

    I subscribe to a few magazines whose content is only available online if you are a subscriber (New York Review of Books, for example). They are reputable magazines, but I can't always link to an article. In those cases, I try to be very complete about the source.

    I'd prefer a well-edited fact-checked magazine article (or book) to a non-edited blog post, in many cases (depends, of course, on the blog)

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,340

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That would apply to ANY source, paper or internet.
    True. That's why I voted other. Books and magazines have as much chance of being right (or wrong) as any other source.

  5. #15
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    One can find critiques of a book, not so of a magazine article.
    Actually, yes, there are magazine articles that get reviewed, critiqued, debated. Just depends on the magazine and the topic of the article. Similarly with books. Not all are critiqued. For example, John Grisham's book "The Innocent Man" - it was NOT a fiction book; it seemed to have a firm grasp on the facts in the cases it presented, and it certainly re-confirmed my impressions (from many articles and books and whatnot) that justice is not always fair in our country.

    However, I'm not sure I saw a lot of critiques of it, either confirming or disputing it. Maybe I just missed them.

  6. #16
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,398

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Does no one else in this tread understand the importance of outside reviews and that magazine articles have none?

    Wtf, did anyone in this thread go to college?

  7. #17
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Just because something is printed or linked to a website doesn't make it automatically valid, it does depend on the validity and credibility of the source. For instance- Drudge Report, which I find has some interesting News stories that don't get covered by the mainstream press, also uses a source that I thought was legit (Infowars) and have been called out on it several times. And it's no better than a grocery store tabloid. I assumed coming from his site, which is wildly popular, that it had to be good. For the most part I believe a majority of non-opinion or fact based websites that provide information attempt to be accurate.

    I've heard Wiki get trounced here quite a bit and haven't seen it to be a bad source overall.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #18
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Does no one else in this tread understand the importance of outside reviews and that magazine articles have none?

    Wtf, did anyone in this thread go to college?
    Well, it depends. There are a good number of professional journals which only have peer reviewed content.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #19
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,398

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Actually, yes, there are magazine articles that get reviewed, critiqued, debated.
    Not by reputable sources and not in any easily found works. Scientists do not bother reviewing magazine articles - it does nothing for their career and in no way advances science.

    You think a blog review of a magazine article is worth a ****? It's not.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 11-22-14 at 10:11 PM.

  10. #20
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,398

    Re: Is a book or magazine a valid source?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, it depends. There are a good number of professional journals which only have peer reviewed content.
    An academic (and I suppose professional, whatever that means) journal is not a magazine.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •