View Poll Results: Is assasination ever the right thing to do

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • In some cases assasination is right

    33 82.50%
  • assasination is never right EVER

    7 17.50%
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 223

Thread: Is assasination ever called for

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So our pres has an authorization of military force not a declaration of war. The definition of powers invoked by this act are a bit blurry.

    "The vibrant debate among legal scholars regarding the domestic and international law basis for U.S. military action against ISIS is partly due to the fact that the Administration has yet to provide the public with a clear, comprehensive legal analysis of its power to use military force against ISIS. As a general principle, when a President puts our troops in harm’s way for a sustained period of time, it is advisable for him to propose, consult with, and obtain express authorization from Congress. That consultation and debate should be public, not buried in a continuing resolution or other must-pass legislation. Sending our troops into war requires a sober, deliberate debate that is not influenced by electoral politics.

    A Framework for an Authorization for Use of Military Force Against ISIS

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Refer back to my earlier post. In such a situation that can easily cause a power vacuum that can result in more chaos (see: Iraq). You're looking for guarantees where there are none.
    I think the chaos in Iraq was from our nation building not from killing Saddam. If we killed him and then said to whoever took his place that if they behaved like him we would kill them to things would have gone smoother.

  3. #83
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    I think the chaos in Iraq was from our nation building not from killing Saddam. If we killed him and then said to whoever took his place that if they behaved like him we would kill them to things would have gone smoother.
    So what do you think would have happened if Saddam was assassinated and then we did nothing else?

  4. #84
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So what do you think would have happened if Saddam was assassinated and then we did nothing else?
    You weren't asking me specifically, but I think had we done just that that there would have been an internal power struggle resulting in a Saddam-like clone emerging as the new leader.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #85
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    So our pres has an authorization of military force not a declaration of war. The definition of powers invoked by this act are a bit blurry.

    "The vibrant debate among legal scholars regarding the domestic and international law basis for U.S. military action against ISIS is partly due to the fact that the Administration has yet to provide the public with a clear, comprehensive legal analysis of its power to use military force against ISIS. As a general principle, when a President puts our troops in harm’s way for a sustained period of time, it is advisable for him to propose, consult with, and obtain express authorization from Congress. That consultation and debate should be public, not buried in a continuing resolution or other must-pass legislation. Sending our troops into war requires a sober, deliberate debate that is not influenced by electoral politics.

    A Framework for an Authorization for Use of Military Force Against ISIS
    That is a distinction without a difference. We have had troops all over the world, thus in harms way, for decades without any such declaration of war.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So what do you think would have happened if Saddam was assassinated and then we did nothing else?
    There was a strong power structure in place in Iraq and after a brief internal struggle there would be a new leader of it chastened by what we did to Saddam. He would not shoot at our planes enforcing the no fly zone and would not gas Kurds.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    UBL was hunted down and killed more as a matter of national pride and collective revenge than actual strategic utility.

    Rome did the same thing to Hannibal after the Punic Wars.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That is a distinction without a difference. We have had troops all over the world, thus in harms way, for decades without any such declaration of war.
    From what Iread of both acts a declaration of war is well defined while authorization of military force is not. It seems to me that targeting the leader of the enemy in the second scenario is assassination but it is impossible to say for sure. If Alquiada managed to kill Obama would that IYO be assassination or an act of war?

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    UBL was hunted down and killed more as a matter of national pride and collective revenge than actual strategic utility.

    Rome did the same thing to Hannibal after the Punic Wars.
    I would call that assassination.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    I would call that assassination.
    Whatever. The fact of the matter is that it didn't accomplish a whole lot in either instance.

    They were "moral" victories, useful for restoring domestic morale and international prestige more than anything else.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •