View Poll Results: Is assasination ever the right thing to do

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • In some cases assasination is right

    33 82.50%
  • assasination is never right EVER

    7 17.50%
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 223

Thread: Is assasination ever called for

  1. #41
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    If someone assassinated Hitler before he fully implemented his agenda the world would have been a lot better off IMO. What about you, is assassination ever okay?


    .
    That is a philosophical question that is very difficult to answer, because it gets into many "what ifs", which we can't know, with certainty, the answers to.
    That being said, are assassinations okay? Yeah, but not for the reasons you may think, and not due a question of moral judgements. Reality is what it is, history happens, and just because one bad guy may have been taken out prematurely, it doesn't mean that everything would have been okay. That isn't how it works.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #42
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That is a philosophical question that is very difficult to answer, because it gets into many "what ifs", which we can't know, with certainty, the answers to.
    That being said, are assassinations okay? Yeah, but not for the reasons you may think, and not due a question of moral judgements. Reality is what it is, history happens, and just because one bad guy may have been taken out prematurely, it doesn't mean that everything would have been okay. That isn't how it works.
    Right. Hitler fed off a lot of anger and that anger was there with or without him.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #43
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Right. Hitler fed off a lot of anger and that anger was there with or without him.
    Well, that wasn't really what I was thinking of, but yeah you're right about that. The question in that line of thinking would be, would the Germans have done what they did, without such a charismatic leader? I'm not really sure they would have.

    I was really thinking more long-term, and much bigger picture. I think we tend to place far too much emphasis in snippets out of history.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #44
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, that wasn't really what I was thinking of, but yeah you're right about that. The question in that line of thinking would be, would the Germans have done what they did, without such a charismatic leader? I'm not really sure they would have.

    I was really thinking more long-term, and much bigger picture. I think we tend to place far too much emphasis in snippets out of history.
    I'm not sure they would have either, but they did have a lot of hard feelings for the Jews as well, so I can't say for certain.

    There is a part of me that believes Hitler didn't really care about the Jews one way or another... he even protected a small handful... but used them as a convenient scapegoat as they were already distrusted and disliked anyway.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    yes... assassinations are ok in certain circumstances....... however, they are never ok until actions are taken that makes it deserved.

    contingency plans should also be made to deal with the consequences.

    as for my personal opinion... the minute Hitlers army invaded his first country, he was open for assassination
    if the young men and women in military uniforms are subjected to being legally killed by opposing nations, their leader is open to it as well.

    as with any other martial matter, assassination can be tactical or strategic
    sometimes, the main man can be iced.. other times, maybe taking out a top minion would work better to change the tune of El Supremo.
    in any event, the notion that leaders are exempt from being legally killed is asinine.... they are leaders... upper management.... not gods.

  6. #46
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'm not sure they would have either, but they did have a lot of hard feelings for the Jews as well, so I can't say for certain.

    There is a part of me that believes Hitler didn't really care about the Jews one way or another... he even protected a small handful... but used them as a convenient scapegoat as they were already distrusted and disliked anyway.
    One thing that I think many people don't realize about Hitler, is that he was into some really strange mystical practices and beliefs, and he literally lost his mind, likely as a result of some of the **** that he was into. He probably believed that he had been ordained by God to do the things he was doing. He was far beyond Christianity by that point, and although many people like to claim that he was Christian, thus denigrate Christianity by associating Hitler with it, that is not what was actually happening at the time. He was likely much crazier than most of us understand, but he was so powerful and brutal, that few dared defy him by that point, as he'd gladly have them killed as well. He was probably a man of great potential, who went terribly terribly wrong.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    One thing that I think many people don't realize about Hitler, is that he was into some really strange mystical practices and beliefs, and he literally lost his mind, likely as a result of some of the **** that he was into. He probably believed that he had been ordained by God to do the things he was doing. He was far beyond Christianity by that point, and although many people like to claim that he was Christian, thus denigrate Christianity by associating Hitler with it, that is not what was actually happening at the time. He was likely much crazier than most of us understand, but he was so powerful and brutal, that few dared defy him by that point, as he'd gladly have them killed as well. He was probably a man of great potential, who went terribly terribly wrong.
    It's also worth noting that Hitler was almost perpetually high as a freaking kite on mind altering medications before the war's end as well.

    He was taking a number of pain killing meds for the after effects of the numerous assassination attempts he survived. He was also mixing them with sleep aids and other substances meant to either ease his anxiety or treat his other numerous health problems (he had a famously irritable stomach, for instance, and was always looking for new ways to 'cure' his symptoms).

    Combined with the - frankly, understandable - nervous break down he had when it became clear that his regime was doomed, the drugs basically turned him into a raving mad man.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 11-21-14 at 11:22 PM.

  8. #48
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    One thing that I think many people don't realize about Hitler, is that he was into some really strange mystical practices and beliefs, and he literally lost his mind, likely as a result of some of the **** that he was into. He probably believed that he had been ordained by God to do the things he was doing. He was far beyond Christianity by that point, and although many people like to claim that he was Christian, thus denigrate Christianity by associating Hitler with it, that is not what was actually happening at the time. He was likely much crazier than most of us understand, but he was so powerful and brutal, that few dared defy him by that point, as he'd gladly have them killed as well. He was probably a man of great potential, who went terribly terribly wrong.
    Hitler was Christian in name only. There is no in biographical evidence to suggest that he literally believed in Christian principles and strived to ever live them. Not even in his younger days.

    Truth be told, many people fit this description. Just because they slap the "Christian" label on themselves, or were born into a family that did, doesn't necessarily make it so.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #49
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Excellent post.

    I wholly agree with your first paragraph. The only caveat is that you can't predict the future, so what we see in hindsight as a string of linked events we ourselves might not have seen had we been alive at the time.

    As far as your second paragraph, I believe it's entirely possible (but not certain) that many of the atrocities were not instigated by Hitler himself, but rather by underlings trying to gain favor with Hitler. If Hitler was the mind behind them, then he did a very good job of publicly and historically disassociating himself and not leaving evidence as such.
    That Hitler specifically distanced himself from the activities of the concentration camps is news to me. Can you provide anything for me to read on that?

  10. #50
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'm not sure they would have either, but they did have a lot of hard feelings for the Jews as well, so I can't say for certain.

    There is a part of me that believes Hitler didn't really care about the Jews one way or another... he even protected a small handful... but used them as a convenient scapegoat as they were already distrusted and disliked anyway.
    Why do you believe this?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Hitler was Christian in name only. There is no in biographical evidence to suggest that he literally believed in Christian principles and strived to ever live them. Not even in his younger days.

    Truth be told, many people fit this description. Just because they slap the "Christian" label on themselves, or were born into a family that did, doesn't necessarily make it so.
    And another belief I don't understand the source of. There are plenty of quotes by him that talk about his Christianity. How do you know that he was disingenuous in each of those quotes?

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •