View Poll Results: Is assasination ever the right thing to do

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • In some cases assasination is right

    33 82.50%
  • assasination is never right EVER

    7 17.50%
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 223

Thread: Is assasination ever called for

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    [QUOTE=lizzie;1064012391]It has nothing to do with a "fair price". There were multiple attempts on his life. For whatever reason, he survived, and became a defining figure in the history of the world. A question of price has no bearing on the issue. When we need new technology, and we DID need it to put an end to that war, it spurs creativity and innovation. Hitler just happened to be one of the catalysts. If he had been assassinated, there is absolutely no rational reason to believe that the world would have been a better place. Just different players in different scenarios.[/QUOTE]

    I just have to disagree with you here. Individual men change the world for better or for worse. Take Christ for example, the world would be far different without him.

  2. #122
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    [QUOTE=lifeisshort;1064012445]
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It has nothing to do with a "fair price". There were multiple attempts on his life. For whatever reason, he survived, and became a defining figure in the history of the world. A question of price has no bearing on the issue. When we need new technology, and we DID need it to put an end to that war, it spurs creativity and innovation. Hitler just happened to be one of the catalysts. If he had been assassinated, there is absolutely no rational reason to believe that the world would have been a better place. Just different players in different scenarios.[/QUOTE]

    I just have to disagree with you here. Individual men change the world for better or for worse. Take Christ for example, the world would be far different without him.
    Yes, men like Jesus make the world better, and men like Hitler make it worse, but that is necessary. There will never be a world which is all good. There will always be the counterpart to good, because one doesn't exist without the other. That's the reality of the world we live in, and over the march of time, things generally tend to improve. It's a process similar to evolution, except that it deals with concepts and psychological/emotional growth, rather than outward physical characteristics.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Its better, IMO, to have rule of law, rather than one man taking the law into his own hands ..
    I am in the lower 25% here ..
    Even to a Hitler, this applies .. kill Hitler, and we still have a sick German nation ..
    Had there been a healthy United Nations in the 30s, a Hitler would have been stopped...

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    From what I understand it might have made sense to eliminate him before he was able to instigate WWII, but once the war started it was probably best to let him stay in charge since strategically he was Germany's own worst enemy.

    Something I'm not entirely clear on myself is, how responsible is Hitler personally for the events that led to WWII and the Holocaust? Did he simply ride a tidal wave of historical events? Or did he shape the thoughts of the time so specifically that those events never would have happened had he not lived?
    IMO, he became an extremist .. he was "good" at first , but then got carried away ..

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    [QUOTE=lizzie;1064012466]
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post

    Yes, men like Jesus make the world better, and men like Hitler make it worse, but that is necessary. There will never be a world which is all good. There will always be the counterpart to good, because one doesn't exist without the other. That's the reality of the world we live in, and over the march of time, things generally tend to improve. It's a process similar to evolution, except that it deals with concepts and psychological/emotional growth, rather than outward physical characteristics.
    Evil men should be stomped out and if they were the world would be a better place. I just do not understand why you think evil should be not only tolerated but accepted as normal.

  6. #126
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    IMO, he became an extremist .. he was "good" at first , but then got carried away ..
    Don't confuse some good things he did with being good.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #127
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    [QUOTE=lifeisshort;1064012526]
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Evil men should be stomped out and if they were the world would be a better place. I just do not understand why you think evil should be not only tolerated but accepted as normal.
    Because it IS normal. You and I aren't going to change that. I don't "tolerate" it, because it is not under my control. I take my own two cents worth out of the equation, which is the only thing that anyone can do. You go on thinking you can change the world by killing evil men, though, if that's what you want to believe. There is something bigger than you and I.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Never justified in a democracy, where the ballot box can be used to get rid of a tyrant or despot. It may be utilized in political systems where there's no other way to get rid of a despot.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    [QUOTE=lizzie;1064012544]
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post

    Because it IS normal. You and I aren't going to change that. I don't "tolerate" it, because it is not under my control. I take my own two cents worth out of the equation, which is the only thing that anyone can do. You go on thinking you can change the world by killing evil men, though, if that's what you want to believe. There is something bigger than you and I.
    Assassinating an evil man is control and to not do so is tolerating him. If you see a man raping your daughter you stop him and kill him. If you see a man raping humanity do you not do the same?

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is assasination ever called for

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Never justified in a democracy, where the ballot box can be used to get rid of a tyrant or despot. It may be utilized in political systems where there's no other way to get rid of a despot.
    Hitler was elected in a democracy.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •