View Poll Results: Is Obama breaking the law?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, by his own words he is breaking the law

    45 46.88%
  • No, perfectly legal

    22 22.92%
  • Doing same as Regan and Bush did

    17 17.71%
  • Not sure

    3 3.13%
  • Dont care

    3 3.13%
  • Go Fish

    6 6.25%
Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 697

Thread: Obama's Executive Order[W:265]

  1. #411
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you please quote me where I was cheering imperialism?
    "now he finally gives it back to them (the finger). My only question is why it took so long?"

    Thats rhetoric.

  2. #412
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I am not sure either. My feelings are more unease about the whole blurred lines os what is legislating and what is not due to executive orders, war powers and other things. I have little doubt that by a standard of the early 1800's the President could not do these things. But today - after one president after another pushing the envelope - its rather a done deal by this point.

    I really do not know how you turn the clock back - or even if it is desirable to do so. This might be one area where the Constitution is simply badly out of date with reality and normal practice.
    well, presidents stretching their powers beyond that which is allowed is a legitimate concern, and all recent presidents have done so, including obama. However, this particular action of his is well within the powers granted to him by Congress.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #413
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    "now he finally gives it back to them (the finger). My only question is why it took so long?"

    Thats rhetoric.
    Actually its my observation of the last six years.

    And I would contend a fairly accurate one.

    I wanted a President who would have broken off their raised middle finger and shoved it up their posterior. Sadly, Obama is not a street fightin man. Which only played into the hands of the GOP.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-21-14 at 06:38 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #414
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,804

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    It is well known that Obama doesn't do anything unless it is of some political advantage to him or to his Party. Given that, the question arises...what does he gain with this illegal immigration action? There have been some views expressed that Obama's aim is to provoke the Republicans into doing something that can be turned against them. Such as, shutting down the government or, even, initiating impeachment proceedings. Above all, he wants to generate a violent, over-the-top reaction from them.

    Now...I don't know if those views are correct, but I can certainly see that as something Obama might want to do. But...if so, it appears he wasted a lot of his limited political capital with this effort. It seems he is NOT getting a violent reaction from Republicans. Here is Boehner's response to Obama...doesn't sound too violent or over-the-top to me.


    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #415
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    03-24-17 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    It is well known that Obama doesn't do anything unless it is of some political advantage to him or to his Party. Given that, the question arises...what does he gain with this illegal immigration action? There have been some views expressed that Obama's aim is to provoke the Republicans into doing something that can be turned against them. Such as, shutting down the government or, even, initiating impeachment proceedings. Above all, he wants to generate a violent, over-the-top reaction from them.

    Now...I don't know if those views are correct, but I can certainly see that as something Obama might want to do. But...if so, it appears he wasted a lot of his limited political capital with this effort. It seems he is NOT getting a violent reaction from Republicans. Here is Boehner's response to Obama...doesn't sound too violent or over-the-top to me.


    In terms of politics, the American people's attention span is that of a gnat. It is extremely unlikely that a government shut down now would have a noticeable impact on the 2016 elections. That being said, such a political by the president to "provoke" the Congress is more likely due to his intention to keep the American people polarized.

    It is a tug of war with America's policies. A working relationship with this Congress would guarantee that the "radical change" the President wants will not happen during his last two years in office. Such a working relationship also benefits the GOP in two years who will have to defend 24 seats in the senate, rather than only the ten that were in play earlier this month.
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  6. #416
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I see that the inevitable howling has begun.

    Go ahead, Republicans. Please continue to alienate the fastest-growing minority in the nation from your voting base. The 2016 election awaits you.
    Thats what its about right? Buying votes? Of course it is. Liberals are detestable like that

  7. #417
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,804

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    In terms of politics, the American people's attention span is that of a gnat. It is extremely unlikely that a government shut down now would have a noticeable impact on the 2016 elections. That being said, such a political by the president to "provoke" the Congress is more likely due to his intention to keep the American people polarized.

    It is a tug of war with America's policies. A working relationship with this Congress would guarantee that the "radical change" the President wants will not happen during his last two years in office. Such a working relationship also benefits the GOP in two years who will have to defend 24 seats in the senate, rather than only the ten that were in play earlier this month.
    I have a feeling the effects of this mini-firedrizzle from the President will end up having a big effect on the 2016 election.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #418
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Actually its my observation of the last six years.

    And I would contend a fairly accurate one.

    I wanted a President who would have broken off their raised middle finger and shoved it up their posterior. Sadly, Obama is not a street fightin man. Which only played into the hands of the GOP.
    You got what you wanted, after the election you Re seeing the result. Congrats. Now it will be a long time before the libs can do further damage

  9. #419
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,914
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I have a feeling the effects of this mini-firedrizzle from the President will end up having a big effect on the 2016 election.
    You really think so? I am kind of indifferent on the whole thing. Unless it is proven to me that that this executive order was unconstitutional, it doesn't bother me much at all. Sort of politics as usual.

    I am interested to find out how much leeway the 1986 law gave the executive branch to carry out the law. But too darn lazy to try to find out. Sort of indifferent at this point.

    But with the attention span of the American voter being short and their concentration on what have you done for me lately, I do not see it being an election issue in 2016.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #420
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    03-24-17 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I have a feeling the effects of this mini-firedrizzle from the President will end up having a big effect on the 2016 election.
    To whose benefit? GOP or Dems? From a realistic standpoint, the turnout in a Presidential election will be higher which is a benefit to democrats. That combined with so many GOP senators up for reelection and fewer dems... I think the GOP has to get it exactly right. I think quietly pursuing a judicial resolution on the EO issue rather than grandstanding and shutting down the government is politically a good move while sending a real immigration bill to the President and daring him not to sign it. They should pile those bills up on the President's desk for veto- making Obama the party of "no."
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •