View Poll Results: Is Obama breaking the law?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, by his own words he is breaking the law

    45 46.88%
  • No, perfectly legal

    22 22.92%
  • Doing same as Regan and Bush did

    17 17.71%
  • Not sure

    3 3.13%
  • Dont care

    3 3.13%
  • Go Fish

    6 6.25%
Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 697

Thread: Obama's Executive Order[W:265]

  1. #161
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    I'm trying to quit smoking and not doing well, so don't **** with me!
    Having been there...done that...I feel your pain.

    You know, that would make a great sig-line for you.
    Last edited by Mycroft; 11-21-14 at 10:41 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  2. #162
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's nice to know. But I'm curious about the evolution on Obama's own opinion on it. He said for years that it isn't "perfectly legal".

    Is this your opinion as a Constitutional scholar? And why do you know more about the Constitution than the guy who taught Constitutional law did for so long?
    He said he didn't have the power to grant amnesty which is quite correct. What he spoke about last night was only a temporary measure, it does not grant amnesty.


  3. #163
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    He said he didn't have the power to grant amnesty which is quite correct. What he spoke about last night was only a temporary measure, it does not grant amnesty.
    I posted this video earlier in this thread...maybe you didn't see it. You would do well for yourself to watch it.





    Nowhere does he mention "amnesty"...but he does say this: "With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that's just not the case."

    And yet...that's exactly what he did last night.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  4. #164
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I posted this video earlier in this thread...maybe you didn't see it. You would do well for yourself to watch it.





    Nowhere does he mention "amnesty"...but he does say this: "With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that's just not the case."

    And yet...that's exactly what he did last night.
    Yes, that is what he did.....

    ...because he can just suspend deportations.

    BTW, he is not issuing an Executive Order for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So they'll defund background checks?

    GREAT!!!

    Obama can then claim that the GOP is endangering the public by denying the govt the ability to determine which immigrants pose a threat to americans



    Sure ignore the that cost that BO is adding to the Government......including the manhours.

  6. #166
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,884

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Please identify the action that Obama has ordered the govt to take and the law that is being broken by this action
    I think changing the rule regarding who is eligible for work permits is re-writing the law.

  7. #167
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    I think changing the rule regarding who is eligible for work permits is re-writing the law.
    It's not. The law allows the president to do that.

    Specifically, INA § 212(d)(5) and 8 U.S.C. § 182(d)(5)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Please identify the action that Obama has ordered the govt to take and the law that is being broken by this action
    BO's executive amnesty violates the laws Congress has passed in order to create and implement laws Congress has refused to pass. BO is providing an estimated 5 million illegal immigrants with social security numbers, photo IDs and work permits—allowing them to now take jobs directly from struggling Americans.

    Meaning they can access almost all U.S. welfare programs and will with State Welfare Programs too.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, that is what he did.....

    ...because he can just suspend deportations.
    So...was he correct back then? Or is he correct now? Or does it just depend on what is politically advantageous at the time?

    You know how he's a "the ends justify the means" kind of guy.

    BTW, he is not issuing an Executive Order for this.
    I know you like to be "picky, picky", but there really isn't much difference between an "executive order" and an "executive memo".
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #170
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Some things he did seem within his authority. I'm not clear on one particular point. If they are undocumented, how can they prove they have been here 5 years?

Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •