View Poll Results: Is Obama breaking the law?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, by his own words he is breaking the law

    45 46.88%
  • No, perfectly legal

    22 22.92%
  • Doing same as Regan and Bush did

    17 17.71%
  • Not sure

    3 3.13%
  • Dont care

    3 3.13%
  • Go Fish

    6 6.25%
Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 697

Thread: Obama's Executive Order[W:265]

  1. #101
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    See post #89 and also #47
    Neither of which highlight instances of Presidents doing the "Exact same thing" as what Obama was doing here. Skimming the various links I see significant differences that can be pointed to in each of the cases I'm reading. So please, since you're suggesting you've provided something to actually back up your claim that he's doing the "exact same thing" as previous Presidents....how about you actually quote me the specific instance you're talking about? Or perhaps acknowledged you were engaging in hyperbole for the sake of making your argument look stronger then it was.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,733

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Its more like the 2014 elections have spoken. Stand down...
    Sorry, I do not have to obey you.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #103
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Pot calling kettle black...
    Greetings, Mo.

    When even Jonathon Turley and the Supreme Court state that it may not meet the Constitutions's definition of separation of powers, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

  4. #104
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Your desire for hyperbole makes you horrendously wrong.

    At best an argument for "similar" could potentially be made, but absolutely not exact.
    In addition to being ridiculously pendantic, in the eyes of the law, what he's doing is the same exact thing. He is exercising the same, exact powers under the same, exact laws that other presidents have used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Neither of which highlight instances of Presidents doing the "Exact same thing" as what Obama was doing here. Skimming the various links I see significant differences that can be pointed to in each of the cases I'm reading. So please, since you're suggesting you've provided something to actually back up your claim that he's doing the "exact same thing" as previous Presidents....how about you actually quote me the specific instance you're talking about? Or perhaps acknowledged you were engaging in hyperbole for the sake of making your argument look stronger then it was.
    The differences are of no legal consequence and so they are not significant in the eyes of the law.

    Now, why don't you criticize what I said because the law doesn't really have eyes?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #105
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,849

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    I've been talking a lot here about Obama's spin to justify his illegal action...which is echoed by the Obamabots in this thread.

    Here's another bit of spin that irritates the F***! out of me:

    "And to those members of Congress who question my authority to make our immigration system work better, or question the wisdom of me acting where Congress has failed, I have one answer: Pass a bill,"

    Sorry, Obama, nothing in the Constitution says that Congress has to ask, "how high", when you say "jump". And there is nothing in the Constitution that authorizes you to "fix things" by changing established law.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #106
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,092

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    My understanding is that Reagan and Bush worked with congress to correct flaws which adversely affected families that were granted amnesty by congress in 1986. Obama has never worked with congress. He's a terrible president.
    You might want to check "your understanding" Perhaps you do not....

  7. #107
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by avery45 View Post
    Immigrants legal and illegal could help their cause by learning the language. When when immigrants come this this country but hold on to the culture of the land they just left, is insensitive and offensive to us.
    Not to mention how we feel when they steal our jobs, our classrooms, living-space, road-space, etc. .. and then act all entitled when we call them on it!

    By the way, enjoy my signature.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  8. #108
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,092

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    LOL. Now that's just dumb. But that logic, Obamacare wasn't serious legislation because it didn't attract republican votes in either body at the expense of extreme libs. But if you think Obamacare isn't 'serious legislation' I am sure you are in line with those who want to repeal it.
    The PPACA was serious legislation because it left the House in form sufficient to be considered and passed by the Senate. Legislation that leaves the House with almost exclusive support from the Right and no interest from Dems will be DOA at the Senate, which is Centrist by nature (it leaned left from 2006 to present; now it will lean Right, but it will remain a Centrist body). If a House bill attracts NO interest of Dems, it has no chance in the Senate. It is a bill designed for politics rather than action. Its not serious legislation.

    Very, very few bills originating in the House during the last congress garnered more than 10% of Dem votes.... because very, very few bills were serious.

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-nothing-sena/
    Last edited by upsideguy; 11-21-14 at 01:18 AM.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,849

    Re: Obama's Executive Order




    Seems Obama changed his mind a bit, eh?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #110
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Obama's Executive Order

    It's really very simple. We have immigration laws. People have been breaking those laws for decades. Obama now wants to give them all a pardon and allow anyone to come in without the threat of deportation even though the law says otherwise. Yeah.... that's illegal.

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •